Singapore Expats Forum

Airline food- consumer transparency

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Airline food- consumer transparency

Postby ozchick » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 1:14 pm

It was once standard during airline flights to have the products labeled with the country of origin. Don't we consumers have a right to know WHERE the butter or mayonnaise comes from. I'd like to know that the airline on which I choose to travel is supporting local produce if possible, and if not what country's produce is being sourced.
So often now the packaging just says supplied and packaged by singapore airlines etc. This isn't enough and certainly in a supermarket would be unacceptable- am I right on this ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 1:52 pm

Most flights i am on (non-SQ) do not have special packing during the dinner/breakfast. Butter, OJ etc. comes direct from the packers and still usually states where it was made.

If you get this "Specially packed for Singapore Airlines" nonsense when flying with them, assume this is partially the reason why their flights are also more expensive...... having everything labeled for them like that.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 1:54 pm

Some companies, for reasons best known to themselves like to keep their suppliers a closely guarded secret. Britain is notorious for such actions and I a not sure it is entirely justified.