Singapore Expats Forum

Spousal Permanent Residence

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ptechnix

Spousal Permanent Residence

Postby ptechnix » Sat, 29 Mar 2008 4:26 pm

Oh and another question. I'm still waiting for the High Commission to get back to me 3 days after they said they would. Can I as an Australian Citizen apply for Spousal PR in Singapore as my wife is Singaporean, but not be employed in Singapore? Because though I'll be living in SG, I'll be technically working and being paid in Australia. So will have zero Singaporean income or employment.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Spousal Permanent Residence

Postby ksl » Mon, 31 Mar 2008 5:06 pm

ptechnix wrote:Oh and another question. I'm still waiting for the High Commission to get back to me 3 days after they said they would. Can I as an Australian Citizen apply for Spousal PR in Singapore as my wife is Singaporean, but not be employed in Singapore? Because though I'll be living in SG, I'll be technically working and being paid in Australia. So will have zero Singaporean income or employment.

If your wife is back in Singapore, you can apply for your PR, it doesn't matter that you are working from Singapore and being paid, by Australia, only for tax, that is. Although you will have to spend more than 183 days in Singapore to get the PR, I believe, not sure on that one, they may just keep giving you the LTSVP, which is 6 monthly.

183 days in Singapore and you may have to pay tax on the income...

ptechnix

Postby ptechnix » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 5:04 am

The 183 days won't be a problem, as I'll be there most of the year. Just reading about others getting a long term visitor past that gets shorter and shorter with each renewing, is a tad worrying!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 1:30 pm

The government has a problem with people staying here taking up valuable space without contributing to the economy. This country is run like a corporation and the bottom line is everything. Even there citizens are nothing but human capital. You know what Human Capital is right? Depreciable Assets - Once they have gotten the best out of you, then they discard you. That's why now they have laws that make it each to get rid of older workers at 62 - can give 'em 1 year contracts and then just not renew the contract. :cry:

The way they see it is if you don't contribute to the economy (dollars in their pockets) then you are just taking up valuable real estate.