Singapore Expats Forum

i think the taxi uncle over charge me!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 7:16 pm

If you like Tassie you will love NZ. :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:08 pm

He says that if you're a real man you'll cope well with the minus 25/30 degrees ! He he.....
With 23 year in Denmark, and coming from UK, you can tell him, I'm a true viking...25/30 degrees, I rather like, although the winter is a little too long October to March, I never had my home over 18C in winter, and that is T shirt weather for me, I can manage 10c in a T shirt no problem at all...I'm a typical outdoor survivor, after 12 cans of the strong stuff...I can normally crawl all the way home, with two sprained ankles, after slipping on the damn ice. :lol:

Did that in South Germany, drunk as a skunk, never thought i would make it, went to hospital the next day, but that was my skiing hols ruined. :roll: Tasmania, New Zealand, or back to Scandinavia, only time will tell! Crikey I don't have the time to die!

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 8:54 pm

NZ is Tasmania but bigger and with better beer.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:06 pm

If you suspect a taxi uncle is overcharging you, just ask for a receipt and check it against fare table. If they did rip you off, then report the cabbie to their taxi company -- they'll get penalized and you'll get your money back.

I have to say, though, that on the whole cabbies in Sg are remarkably honest. In all my years here I've had one ripoff attempt, when a cabbie taking me from a hotel to the airport tried to slap on a S$3 "limo surcharge", and when I called him on that, he said it was a "to the airport surcharge" and stuck to his guns. Fine: I got a receipt, mailed it to SMRT, and got back S$17 in vouchers.

And oh -- most taxi companies don't allow durian. You should have tipped the cabbie two bucks for bending the rules! (And why didn't you at least wrap it in a bag and put it in the trunk?)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 2:03 pm

jpatokal wrote:If you suspect a taxi uncle is overcharging you, just ask for a receipt and check it against fare table. If they did rip you off, then report the cabbie to their taxi company -- they'll get penalized and you'll get your money back.

I have to say, though, that on the whole cabbies in Sg are remarkably honest. In all my years here I've had one ripoff attempt, when a cabbie taking me from a hotel to the airport tried to slap on a S$3 "limo surcharge", and when I called him on that, he said it was a "to the airport surcharge" and stuck to his guns. Fine: I got a receipt, mailed it to SMRT, and got back S$17 in vouchers.

And oh -- most taxi companies don't allow durian. You should have tipped the cabbie two bucks for bending the rules! (And why didn't you at least wrap it in a bag and put it in the trunk?)

Interesting info, next time i feel I am being ripped off, I will ask for a receipt...it's only the 2nd time for me, so it's not so bad.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 2:57 pm

Forks wrote:NZ is Tasmania but bigger and with better beer.

they also share a love of sheep, and recessive genes.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 4:40 pm

true but you get to enjoy the scenery as you become an inbreed sheep farmer :lol:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 5:21 pm

Forks wrote:true but you get to enjoy the scenery as you become an inbreed sheep farmer :lol:

Oh, now that will hurt our NZ friends....possibly as much as it hurts the sheep...

:P

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 09 Apr 2008 5:33 pm

no pain, no gain. :P