Singapore Expats Forum

i think the taxi uncle over charge me!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

i think the taxi uncle over charge me!

Postby durain » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:55 am

sometimes i never can work out how much my taxi ride is. why cant the total fare be added to the meter so i can easily see what i am paying.

this is why i am having a rant... got a taxi (6th avenue to holland v), after a few minutes, taxi uncle complaining about my durian! he keep mumbling about it and wind down and up the windows.

when i pay, i was charged S$2 extra. i didnt want to ask why because he was still in a bad mood about my durian. but do you think the extra S$2 was for carrying the durian in the taxi? this was at 7pm weekdays and the taxi was flagged on the road.

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Re: i think the taxi uncle over charge me!

Postby CAT777 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 9:45 am

durain wrote:sometimes i never can work out how much my taxi ride is. why cant the total fare be added to the meter so i can easily see what i am paying.

this is why i am having a rant... got a taxi (6th avenue to holland v), after a few minutes, taxi uncle complaining about my durian! he keep mumbling about it and wind down and up the windows.

when i pay, i was charged S$2 extra. i didnt want to ask why because he was still in a bad mood about my durian. but do you think the extra S$2 was for carrying the durian in the taxi? this was at 7pm weekdays and the taxi was flagged on the road.

S2$ is a peak hour surcharge...i don't think that surcharge for the transportation of this smelly fruit exisists :o if taxi uncle wants to ovrcharge smn he'd better detour the person...anyway next time u ask for a receipt if you are not very sure...
Сингапурский котенок

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

You dont take taxis....

Postby Asdracles » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:22 am

2 SGD WAS a peak hour surcharge, dear Diana.... Now is a crazy 35% over the fare. Thats 2SGD if the trip is around 6 dollars, but can be more than 6 in a side to side trip.

Oh, and also the surcharge is automatically shown in the meter fare.

It sounds strange, like a complain-surcharge. You should have told him that you are 'durain' and not 'durian' :D

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 5:05 pm

so when is peak and when is off-peak. and is it double after 11pm?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 5:48 pm

durain wrote:so when is peak and when is off-peak. and is it double after 11pm?

Peak from 5pm until 8 pm I believe.

Only if he presses the button, before the passenger gets out, if he just added the 2$ after the passenger got out, and he didn't press the surcharge button, well, maybe it went in his pocket, because of the smell :lol: Next time when the taxi stops,in peak hrs, make sure they press the button, and the fare will clock up the 2$, so you can see it. I don't believe the fares are time recorded, until the button is pressed. although I'm no taxi driver....But I do read the fare price on the inside of the windows, and watch what he's up too.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 6:31 pm

nvm la. let uncle profit from my S$2. the durian was excellent, so it was worth it. :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 6:59 pm

durain wrote:nvm la. let uncle profit from my S$2. the durian was excellent, so it was worth it. :P
I wonder if we can make durian vinegar :lol:

lymz

Postby lymz » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 9:34 pm

Peak hour is 7 am to 9:30 a.m and in the afternoon at 5-8 pm.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:09 pm

lymz wrote:Peak hour is 7 am to 9:30 a.m and in the afternoon at 5-8 pm.

In this hours, is 35% of metered fare. After midnight, and until 6 in the morning (I think) surcharge is 50%

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 29 Mar 2008 2:50 pm

ksl wrote:
durain wrote:nvm la. let uncle profit from my S$2. the durian was excellent, so it was worth it. :P

D24 vinegar? :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:57 pm

durain wrote:
ksl wrote:

D24 vinegar? :P

Guess Uncle just overcharged me by 3$ tonight to! from Bugis to lorong Ah soo...at 950 p.m when i challenged him, he said it was a CTE charge, I said we shouldn't pay, the charge when leaving, besides we never entered the zone we came out of it.... I don't know so i couldn't really put my foot down, but I cannot remember having paid that before, and i have taken many taxi's out of the City. :x cost 12$ trip

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:54 pm

ksl wrote:
durain wrote:so when is peak and when is off-peak. and is it double after 11pm?

Peak from 5pm until 8 pm I believe.

Only if he presses the button, before the passenger gets out, if he just added the 2$ after the passenger got out, and he didn't press the surcharge button, well, maybe it went in his pocket, because of the smell :lol: Next time when the taxi stops,in peak hrs, make sure they press the button, and the fare will clock up the 2$, so you can see it. I don't believe the fares are time recorded, until the button is pressed. although I'm no taxi driver....But I do read the fare price on the inside of the windows, and watch what he's up too.

I just stick my head between the seats and check, subtlety scmutlety, I have had a few taxi drivers try tricks so i now just look and ask, its seems to be when i go to the airport that i get the most trouble.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:58 pm

ksl wrote:

In your dreams (or my nightmares !) :)

Hey there lumpy one- it's good to see you back ! I might talk to you again now- IF you play your cards right !
Have you missed me ?
Where's the lovely wimh- is she around ?
Been to oz with the rooster. He's impressed with chook coun'try generally. So he should be. It's the best place in the world- after 'sing' that is. And there wasn't a yobbo in sight- damned good strok of luck that is !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 31 Mar 2008 4:54 pm

ozchick wrote:
ksl wrote:

In your dreams (or my nightmares !) :)

Hey there lumpy one- it's good to see you back ! I might talk to you again now- IF you play your cards right !
Have you missed me ?
Where's the lovely wimh- is she around ?
Been to oz with the rooster. He's impressed with chook coun'try generally. So he should be. It's the best place in the world- after 'sing' that is. And there wasn't a yobbo in sight- damned good strok of luck that is !

Nice to see you back Ozchick, poor old rooster, I bet he's no crowing so much anymore :wink: Not seen or heard of WIMH for quite a while, maybe she got lucky too :D Love is in the air..... :wink:

I have many relatives in Oz, been there at least 35 years now, my sister came back to blighty though, after she divorced, worst mistake ever. UK is one big penal colony.

The latest is that they have been letting the terrorists leave prison, early because there is no room...can you belive it?

They have just stopped letting terrorists go, since friday, they changed the law, so that terrorists couldn't be released early. :roll:

So where do you recommend to live in OZ, my sis was in Tasmania and Sydney, before coming home?

I need to find a place to settle, afte all these years......and Singapore is not on my list, to hot for me...I need lots of fresh clean cool air, when i go running, and big wide open fields, where i can romp, with ozchicks 10C will do me fine in winter with summer temp around 25c.

Are you going to Honkers then or what?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:05 pm

So where do you recommend to live in OZ, my sis was in Tasmania and Sydney, before coming home?

I need to find a place to settle, afte all these years......and Singapore is not on my list, to hot for me...I need lots of fresh clean cool air, when i go running, and big wide open fields, where i can romp, with ozchicks 10C will do me fine in winter with summer temp around 25c.

Are you going to Honkers then or what?[/quote]

Nah honkers not on now...trying to see out my contract....Anyway KSL meet my brother to tell you what he thinks you should do re Oz. Can't think of a name for my bro so Cockhead will do
Hi KSL
Cockhead here, brother of Auschick! You may like to !live in Tasmania in
southern Australia if you like fresh air.Statistics suggest that Tasmania has the freshest air in the world, blowing straight from the Antarctic!Great for running but, as a bachelor I found it a bit quiet,not much entertainment unless you get heavily involved in sport,gardening and bush walking.Isolated from the mainland is a problem,always paying for airfares to Melbourne, plus groceries are expensive having been freighted from the mainland.It's a small place and everybody knows everybody and their business! Rent/buy property cheapest in Australia! regards, Cockhead
Ozchick here again with message from Swedish Rooster to say that Sweden's top summer temps ave 25 degrees and relative certainty of frequent showers.. so yeah you could live there....He says that if you're a real man you'll cope well with the minus 25/30 degrees ! He he.....
Mm..i'd like to live in Tassie myself.....one day when the travel-bug stops biting me....meanwhile...who knows ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'