Singapore Expats Forum

Cheap air travel: hidden extra charges? $28 to KL??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

runnel

Cheap air travel: hidden extra charges? $28 to KL??

Postby runnel » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 7:56 am

Hi everyone

I'm expecting to be working in Singapore later this year. Hoping to travel while there, I was pleased to see the low fares on cheap airlines like JetStar on routes to Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.

Are those fares for real, though, or do those airlines hit you with "extras" like fuel surcharges, administration charges, hand baggage charges, etc? JetStar, for example, are advertising $28 single fare to KL - is that really a real price, or just a headline? I have no problem with getting charged for extras like food, but getting charged more than the ticket price just for getting on the plane seems cheeky...

Thanks for your advice!

perplexsheep

Postby perplexsheep » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:28 am

The ticket prices advertised do not include airport and fuel tax, and depending on the country and city you are going, it could be an additional of $100-$200.

For budget airlines (i.e. Jetstar and Tigers), they do not serve food or drinks on flight. You will need to purchase it, on board.

You should also note that the special rates, tend to be for weekdays. Weekend flights and flights over public holidays are generally more expensive and are not eligible for the special promotion rates.

Sometimes, it might be worth checking www.zuji.com.sg for non-budget flights. I was checking on flights to HK from May 1 - 4, Cathay Airline cost $524 while Jetstar cost $494. I rather top up the additional $30 for a non-budget airlines, with more comfortable seats, and serve foods & drinks on board. Sometimes, Silkair have pretty good 2-to-go deals as well. I have got tickets to Siem Reap for about $340 (all inclusive) via Silkair last October. The trick is to plan early and book in advance!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:59 am

what you see is not what you always get in singapore. once airasia was doing airfare for 99 cents!!!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 2:18 pm

Airfare yes, but this is always separate from taxes and fuel surcharges etc.

I believe the rule is that at least one seat must be at the advertised price so it could be that no matter how far in advance you try to book, that seat is gone.

Apart from the charges, which are always advised when booking online, there is not really too many others. Of course you need to check the allowable weight for check-in baggage or suffer problems there as well. In Europe now they are beginning to charge for all check-in bags regardless of weight and since Europe, notably EasyJet and RyanAir, is where the place things start expect it here in the not too distant future.

The thing i like about JetStar is you allocate your own seat at time of booking and order. This greatly speeds up boarding and removes the scrum for the best seats, which in itself is both dangerous and time consuming as people keep switching seats on board.