Singapore Expats Forum

Information Needed Please?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

pmediri

Information Needed Please?

Postby pmediri » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 8:43 pm

Hi,

I need information on how I can go about hiring a maid. I’m on a Social Visit Pass, which I have to get renewed every six months. I need to hire a maid to help me out with my house work as I have undergone surgery in both of my wrists and cannot manage without additional help at home. Being a Sri Lankan, I would prefer to hire a maid of my nationality. I do hope that doesn’t sound racist. Is there any possibility of my being able to bring some one (preferablya lady that my children are familiar with already) from Sri Lanka, or do I have to go through a maid agency over here? I have four children and am with them over here while my husband is based over in Colombo. We fly back to Colombo every during every school vacation. Hence my preferance to a maid from SL. As she too gets the opportunity of visiting her relatives for the duration of our holiday.

Hope some one can help me out?

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:13 pm

I'm not positive, but I don't think you can hire a domestic unless you have a proper Residency or Employment VISA. A LTSVP is not either. I think you best bet is to call an agency as they could probably give you a definitive answer.

Who is sponsoring your LTSVP? That's the person who will have to apply for a domestic.

pmediri

Postby pmediri » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply.
I did hear that it was not possible to hire a maid with the type of visa granted to me. I have been here with the children since August last year. Altho they have been granted students passes until the year 2010, I seem to be getting extentions valid for 6 months at a time. Rather tedious, but I guess that is the normal working over here.
My Husband's cousin has signed as the local sponsor for us. Oh dear, I was rather hoping that I needn't bother him with all this, but looks as tho I don't have much of a choice in the matter.
Once again, thanks you ever so much for taking the time and trouble to reply to my query.