Singapore Expats Forum

FNDC: Insomnia at Chijmes from 8:30PM

Weekly meetup of FNDC - Friday Night Drinking Club
morton
Regular
Regular

FNDC: Insomnia at Chijmes from 8:30PM

Postby morton » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 4:01 pm

This Friday night's gathering will be at Insomnia inside Chijmes. I haven't been there for quite a while but I recall they have fairly good covers bands and also an outdoor area for chatting/eating etc.

map & website here ---> http://www.liverockmusic247.com/pages.html

Actual address of Chijmes is 30 Victoria Street - it's a whole block bordered by Victoria St, Bras Basah Rd, North Bridge Rd and Stamford Rd.

Hope to see newbies and regulars alike from about 8:30PM.
Divers just love going deep and getting wet (not to mention all that rubber!)

Mill

Postby Mill » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 8:38 pm

Harlo,

I would love to join tomorrow friday nite drinking :) Erm, how can i detect the drinking club? I've been to one of the gathering at elephant bar, so, as usual, there is this sign post of 'expat club' or should i text someone?

Looking so forward for a pint of drink on an easy breezy friday nite :)

Cheers,

Mill
Mill get by going

Aegri_Somnia

Insomnia

Postby Aegri_Somnia » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 9:25 am

Hey Morton,

You seem a bit lonely out there. I will try to make it tonight, haven't bumped into you for a while..

Ah crap you got me..the only reason why I'd show up is because Insomnia is pratically my middle name and I'm such an egotripper....-))

traveler299

Will plan on joining

Postby traveler299 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:29 am

And bringing a couple of friends!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 2:03 pm

Anyone starting earlier tonight? We still haven't made a FNDC and can't really tonight as we need an early morning because our furniture is FINALLY here!!!

PS we're staying down Marina Bay way tonight as we lose the rental furniture in an hour or so. Happy to catch up with people down that way if it's easier for y'all.

C&P

Nicole077
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nicole077 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 2:14 pm

will be there after friend's birthday bash...see you later

Cheers,
Pockets

chops

Postby chops » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 6:01 pm

I'll be there, plus one.

SpawnyWhippet

Appalling Service - Avoid at all costs

Postby SpawnyWhippet » Wed, 20 Oct 2010 7:32 pm

Myself and some friends were at Insomnia and ordered cocktails, the round coming to over $100. One of the girls took a sip of her cocktail, then moved the lime slice on the rim of the glass. She noticed that the lime was covering a large broken bit of glass, and that the broken glass bits had fallen into the drink.

When we told the waiter we wanted a replacement drink, he looked completely unconcerned that our friend could have swallowed broken glass. He just came back with an unbroken glass and poured her drink into it.
We said that was unacceptable, so he took her drink away and would not offer a replacement.
When we complained to the manager, he finally offered half a replacement cocktail, as she had taken a sip from the previous glass.
Upon receipt of the half replacement drink (a lot less that they had poured away), my friend remarked that it was practically water, almost no alcohol in it at all.
We complained again and the manager told us that was the best he was going to do, and if we didn't like it, we should leave.

We therefore left, abandoning the rest of our drinks. This place lost at least $500 from us in bar bills that night and we will never return there.

rippingale
Regular
Regular

Re: Appalling Service - Avoid at all costs

Postby rippingale » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 1:03 pm

[quote="SpawnyWhippet"]Myself and some friends were at Insomnia and ordered cocktails, the round coming to over $100. One of the girls took a sip of her cocktail, then moved the lime slice on the rim of the glass. She noticed that the lime was covering a large broken bit of glass, and that the broken glass bits had fallen into the drink.

When we told the waiter we wanted a replacement drink, he looked completely unconcerned that our friend could have swallowed broken glass. He just came back with an unbroken glass and poured her drink into it.
We said that was unacceptable, so he took her drink away and would not offer a replacement.
When we complained to the manager, he finally offered half a replacement cocktail, as she had taken a sip from the previous glass.
Upon receipt of the half replacement drink (a lot less that they had poured away), my friend remarked that it was practically water, almost no alcohol in it at all.
We complained again and the manager told us that was the best he was going to do, and if we didn't like it, we should leave.

We therefore left, abandoning the rest of our drinks. This place lost at least $500 from us in bar bills that night and we will never return there.[/quote]

Yeah this sounds like what would happen at 99% of bars in Singapore. However I find this very hard to believe here. This is a pretty good bar and I understand the situation but it seems this would be an isolated incident. Perhaps if they allow you to drink $500 worth of drinks then leave in Singapore surely can not be too bad a bar.
"Singapore where its ok to be young, free, foreign, single and searching for a good good time"

SpawnyWhippet

Re: Appalling Service - Avoid at all costs

Postby SpawnyWhippet » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 2:30 pm

rippingale wrote:Perhaps if they allow you to drink $500 worth of drinks then leave in Singapore surely can not be too bad a bar.

$500 at Insomnia is only 2 drinks each and a bottle of champagne. Not a large volume by any standards. But the manner in which the manager and staff refused to acknowledge that there was a problem, then tried to rip us off by serving half a glass of coloured water instead of a $25 cocktail means I cannot recommend or return to this bar.

morton
Regular
Regular

Postby morton » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 5:03 pm

NO MORE FNDC AT INSOMNIA!!!!! :mad:

well, i haven't actually organised an FNDC for about 2 years, so it's not up to me really. but pretty crap service, for sure.

btw, are you guys merchant bankers or something? buying cocktails in pretty much any bar in Sg is a fast road to poverty. then again, it's only slightly more expensive than plain orange juice.
Divers just love going deep and getting wet (not to mention all that rubber!)