Singapore Expats

Fax over digital voice

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
kiwileon

Fax over digital voice

Post by kiwileon » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 3:08 pm

Hi, does anyone use a fax over Starhubs digital voice service - and if so, can you answer the following:

What sort of transmission speeds do you get?
Does it work?
What sort of fax machine is best?

I need to start receiving fax's at home, and after speaking to Starhub, they advise that they don't guarantee fax transmission over digital voice. I have no problem with that, as I understand the technological limits that are exploited to enable cheap voice calls, however I don't want to pay for an additional analogue line.

Therefore, knowing that I will live with low speeds, are there any recommendations / experiences that can be shared?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:00 pm

starhub voice is using VoIP, therefore wont work with fax.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lost_canuck » Thu, 20 Mar 2008 1:42 pm

we have a fax machine and starhub home.

speed? dunno seems to be fine and works efficiently, no problems.

we have sent and received locally, must admit not faxed over seas but then why would you need to, just email.

lgcollins

Post by lgcollins » Sun, 04 May 2008 9:02 am

If your connection to starhub is fast, like the ping time should be very very low, then Fax over IP will probably work, but if you have high ping times, then try looking for other alternatives, like Fax to email perhaps. But I'm not sure if there is such a service in singapore. By the way are you using a VOIP device that you will just attach an ordinary telephone? are you using a VOIP phone? The device should conform with T.38 standards in order to receive Fax over IP.
Don't waste money on Printer Ink. Save up to 65% on toner cartridges. click here