Singapore Expats Forum

Women Drivers.....sigh.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:38 am

statistically speaking the reason men have more accidents in the UK is because there are more of them on the road. If you broke the figures down then actually women have more accidents. :P

I must admit I do laugh at the driving here. When you cross the road you actually become a target rather than an obstacle which is hilarious. The missus always looks on in horror as I cross the road and I just keep on walking!

I think the driving here is atrocious and one of the reasons not to get a car here. They drive how they walk. Lack of spacial awareness and total tunnel vision. The amount of people I now walk into everyday increases and my shoulders are getting stronger. I'd not want to do that on the road!
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 2:01 pm

:-k Probably a valid point, that.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 2:53 pm

ukdesigner wrote:I think the driving here is atrocious and one of the reasons not to get a car here. They drive how they walk. Lack of spacial awareness and total tunnel vision. The amount of people I now walk into everyday increases and my shoulders are getting stronger. I'd not want to do that on the road!

Oh that is sooo true. its kinda fun though when you are pushing a pram with two hefty kids in it.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:10 pm

The best part of this is that all of you poo-pooed people like me on here before you got here from reading earlier rants about these same things, and alway thought we were over the top with our rants. :P

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Thu, 27 Mar 2008 7:30 am

When driving in Singapore, either car or motorbike, I think it all boils down to:

Us westerners are completely oblivious (to put it nicely) with the kind of driving in Singers.

To name a cliche, it's a different ballgame, a cultural difference.

We are just not used to the complete and utter ignorance, stupidity and madness in the Singapore way of driving.

Yes, in Europe (USA to a lesser extent actually) there is more agression on the roads, reckless driving, BUT: there is no such as complete stupidity, people who just do not get the basic rules of driving on roads.

I can easily adapt to the Dutch way of road behaviour (touch wood), but in Singapore I couldnot, even after 8 years.

I still remember one occasion when I overtook Ah Beng in his white Honda, me riding my Harley: He came after me, his ego too big. He cut my lane at a mere 150 km/hr on Bukit timah road (Deuce Bigalow comes to mind). I could feel the wind as if it was the car itself.

I went after him and a few traffic lights later I again overtook and blocked his way. I parked the bike in fornt of him, walked to him and asked him: What the f*ck you think you ar doing, you complete moron?????

Chinese / Singlish reply, high pitch, trying to be cool.

I smacked his face, blood dripping down his nose and lip.

His reply after that:

So sorry meh, cannot eh.

He just didnot realise if he had hit me with the white ah beng vehicle, I'd be dead and he'd be in jail for more years than LKY would be alive.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

tingal79
Regular
Regular

Postby tingal79 » Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:36 am

may... may... may i say something here?

i think one good thing about female drivers is they seldom chase after other drivers because of ego problem.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 30 Mar 2008 1:07 pm

tingal79 wrote:may... may... may i say something here?

i think one good thing about female drivers is they seldom chase after other drivers because of ego problem.

Yeah.......some members of a certain un-named gender don't always have good 'coping' strategies. There but for the grace of God go I ...reckon I feel a superiority complex coming on big time ! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Shimure

Postby Shimure » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 4:16 pm

I think it is more to the individual and not the gender which should be a factor.

I know some very bad guy drivers too.
"When people consult me, it's not that I'm reading the future; I am guessing at the future. Based on the omens of the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it, what comes later will also be better."