Singapore Expats Forum

Women Drivers.....sigh.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

VZTRT

Postby VZTRT » Sat, 15 Mar 2008 7:35 am

Just coming across from Australia myself, I've had to use taxi's a fair bit for going from the hotel to work until I move into the apartment.
Singapore doesn't have as much traffic as we do during peak hour which I think is good because I've been worried in some of the taxi's with their driving (mind you some have been good).
I actually wanted to rent a car but being in the taxi's has put me off as I dont want deal with an accident that seems more likely to happen here then back home.
Mind you might be going to India for a three month stint and from mates that are from there or been there thats another kettle of fish.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:38 pm

While Singapore is not the worst, its got this kinda well ordered thing going on in most of it but on the roads the illusion is shattered as it all sorta wild west.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:51 pm

Forks wrote:While Singapore is not the worst, its got this kinda well ordered thing going on in most of it but on the roads the illusion is shattered as it all sorta wild west.
Well I guess if you are talking about dodgem bumper car racing, you hit the nail on the head, they even park them the same! Stop get out and walk away, leaving the car miles from the kerb.

One can spot good drivers from the way, they park their cars, and i would say a great deal of singaporeans, should have failed their tests on parking, they obviously have no care for other drivers at all....Afraid I would want a legal clamp down on these drivers...it's sound governement revenue, until they learn how to drive. BTW it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an offence, to park too far away from the kerb I think the limit is 6 inch,

Taiwan is wild wild west, but good drivers, it would scare mosst Westerners, the way the traffic flows, although if you flow with the stream its easy, never had a bump in 5 years, although the Taiwanese will deliberately, bump you too, if you upset them, space is limited in Taipei for parking, and one will see cars bumper to bumper...and that takes some skill....that many would fail, or not even attempt....when you have been jammed in, you will realise you can get out with 2 inch at the back, no problem. providing you remember to give yourself 6 inch in the front, when parking.
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 17 Mar 2008 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Mon, 17 Mar 2008 3:18 am

Forks wrote:While Singapore is not the worst, its got this kinda well ordered thing going on in most of it but on the roads the illusion is shattered as it all sorta wild west.

Wild West?
Singapore??
No way.
Drivers are very orderly here in Singapore.
Too much so -- end up having to go around them just to make a turn at an intersection.

You should try Shanghai (or most anywhere in China) to see what real excitement is. Have heard that Jakarta, Manila, Taipei, Italy are similar.

Also heard that many new bus drivers here originally came from China.
That's one way to keep buses running on schedule. :wink:

Oh yeah.
Must agree about the parking thing.
Many times have been tempted to offer to park their car for them after one or two tries.

nitesoutsg

Postby nitesoutsg » Fri, 21 Mar 2008 4:01 pm

just saw a either stupid or inconsiderate female driver and passager,
their mazda was blocking a nissan at a parking lot,
the driver went into KFC to buy food so not around
the passenger try to move the car away, apparently she don't know how to drive coz she try to start the engine when the engine is not even off,
you can hear the loud cracking of the ingition trying to fire a running engine

How can you not know if the car engine is running or not ??!!!

thus the passenger give up and try to phone the driver,
when i offer my help to move the car
the passenger simply refuse :mad:

after a long while the driver return, only to take her own sweet time to get in the car and move the car

however there is toyota infront trying to park so
she reverse her car blocking the nissan totally
letting the toyota to park
when the toyota completed parking the mazda still did not move her car
till the nissan start to horn

HOW stupid can the driver be, and didn't the passenger tell the driver what had happen?

i still try to believe bad drivers are not just females, male driver suck big time too.
idiot who can't stay in their lane
motorist who can decide which lane they want to stay
idiot who just cut into your lane

quite stressful to driver in sg
but i think there are worst road else where
sometime maybe i should driver an armour truck instead

Well sometime i also sucks as a male driver

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Fri, 21 Mar 2008 9:06 pm

I come from NZ and we break the rules too but in the main we just drive waaay too fast on the roads, hence when the accidents happen they look like plane crashes, with bits all over the place, no dents just scattered remains.

I have herd that it is somewhat difficult to get a drivers license in Singapore but seeing what i have seen I figure...

A. the test is hard but as soon as you get it you either forget it all or just dont bother.

B. its not hard to get a license in Singapore

As for China, Taiwan etc, Id rather not, dodgems at the fair are fun, on the roads no.

As for chinese Bus drivers in Singapore I dont know but for Singapore Bus drivers I have nothing but good things to say about them, they get cut off and such by drivers but obviously cant do anything so they just take it

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 1:36 am

Yeah, my vehicle of choice here would be a US sized Hummer!

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 2:14 am

durain wrote:you never know how bad car drivers are until you are a biker. bikers are always a better drivers. :)

8-)
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 9:45 am

Superglide wrote:
durain wrote:you never know how bad car drivers are until you are a biker. bikers are always a better drivers. :)

8-)

They have to be, and that includes cyclists as well, the ratio of sucess of bikes to cars in accidents is pretty low. :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 2:49 pm

That are reported you mean, right?

newcomer9747

Postby newcomer9747 » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 4:51 pm

oh don't get me started on how some ladies drive. :x

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 5:05 pm

Statistically men are much worse drivers then women. This is true across borders. Men cause more fatal accidents and men are much more likely to drive while intoxicated.

tingal79
Regular
Regular

Postby tingal79 » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 8:01 pm

and i am beginning to like you.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:15 pm

I agree with road.not.taken. Statistically speaking that is. The problem is it was the woman in front of him stopping or turning from the right-hand lane to make the left turn or stopping for no reason or swerving all over the road while she put on her makeup while trying to drive at the same time. The avoidance maneuver caused the accident and the man gets to be the statistic.

Statistically speaking that is...... :P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 5:43 am

Yes, I'm sure it was her fault he drove while intoxicated, drove too fast, too aggresively and followed too closely. In the UK 97% of dangerous driving offenses are given to men. Oh ya, throw in 'stupid' too since men are more likely not to wear a seatbelt. :roll: