Singapore Expats Forum

Women Drivers.....sigh.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Women Drivers.....sigh.....

Postby ozchick » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 9:49 pm

Yeah I'm one of them but I don't drive like them !
A woman backed into the taxi I was in tonight where it was stationary while I was paying him. What a moron ! No apology- nothing !She thought saying that she didn't see him there was an ok excuse and tried to get out of it. And the poor little old uncle taxi-driver was so nice to her and she just deserved nothing but a tongue-lashing for her carelessness and attitude to boot !
So while I'm here, I'm gonna say this and women will hate me for it but fair dinkum there are some bloody awful drivers in this country, but the women really take the cake ! It's the same back home !
Why can't women drive like men ?! I do ! I'm actually embarrassed by the pathetic lack of spatial awareness from which many women drivers seem to suffer. For most of them it'd be quicker to walk !
Men may well be the cause of most accidents (in Oz the statistics clearly show this). On the other hand, the overly cautious woman driver is probably enough to cause the guys to get really p....ed off !
Hmph ! And that's all I've got to say about that. Rant over. Nigh nigh all !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Women Drivers.....sigh.....

Postby Plavt » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:01 pm

ozchick wrote: I'm actually embarrassed by the pathetic lack of spatial awareness from which many women drivers seem to suffer.

Is it only the women and only drivers? My experience suggests lack of spatial awareness extends beyond. :P

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 9:52 am

this made me laugh.

my mum drives almost sitting on top of the steering wheel and the worlds biggest fireworks display could be going on and unless it was in her direct line of forward vision she woudlnt notice it :)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:23 am

Situational AND spacial awareness are, interestingly, skills that can be taught.

Pity there doesn't seem to be any teachers present, here. (or back home either!!)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:03 am

It's because women suffer a crippling desease.....LOGICLESS.

This is why men never win an argument and indeed learn quickly to just keep quiet because we have the stupid notion of having to make sense. Logicless is so much of a disease that it prevents women drivers doing what is therefore sensible. :wink:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:17 pm

ozchick, it's not just the women, it's the men as well.

Noone does head turns in Singapore to check blind spots when changing lanes, or reversing etc etc.

I constantly warn my brother-in-law he can't just rely on mirrors, or he'll have an accident. He in turn reminds me, I could be taking the bus.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 1:55 pm

OMG - ozchick - so true!!! every time someone does something really outrageous on the road i always look to see if it's a woman and 99.9% of the time it is! that being said - i find driving in asia to be pretty bad to begin with... though i don't think anyone wants to see me out on the road any time soon - i haven't driven in ages :shock:

speaking of moms... my mom is seriously the worst driver. she always says how she's never been in an accident and i always have to comment - "but how many people BEHIND you have been in an accident!" she's a serious MRS MCGOO. :D

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 9:26 pm

Im going to wander in here on the side of women and say that men can make lousy drivers too, they just act like they know what they are doing until the accident happens and Singapore roads are like Death rally 2000, even my daily bus driver (who I have nicknammed "speedy") drives like hes behind the wheel of a Ferrari, weaving in and out of the traffic like he hes Aerton Senna just before he hit the wall, and of the 3 major accidents I have seen close up here, all of them were men driving expensive late model cars.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 9:48 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Situational AND spacial awareness are, interestingly, skills that can be taught.

Pity there doesn't seem to be any teachers present, here. (or back home either!!)

ozchick is a teacher. :o

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 9:54 pm

Don't know why everybody is complaining about driving in Singapore; too often in London and many other parts of Britain drivers are rude, arrogant and aggressive. In The Philippines take a trip just about anywhere and it reminds me of that cartoon wacky races! Cars veer from lane to lane without indicating, roads are always crowded, police seem non existent, smoke emits visibly from buses and heavy vehicles, it is permissible to drive on the hard shoulder on motorways and all you hear is the honking of horns all day long.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:31 pm

Plavt,

Have you ever driven in Singapore?

Most who complain here are expats. Most expats have experience in driving in a number of Major Cities including NYC, London, Mexico City, Jakarta, Bangkok, Los Angeles, etc. I guess you would have to walk a mile in our shoes (or drive a mile in our car as it were) to know what we are on about here. You make is sound like we only got our licenses here in Singapore and never drove anywhere before becoming an expat.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:57 pm

by comparison, driving in london is miles better than in singapore. but singapore is miles better than malaysia and indonesia, though once singaporean is driving in malaysia, they drive like the locals!!! HK is OK, and even in guangzhou, driving there is getting better over the years because of the local goverment clamping down on bad drivers.

you never know how bad car drivers are until you are a biker. bikers are always a better drivers. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:07 pm

Unless the bike is under 400cc. Then they don't know how to drive either. :wink:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless the bike is under 400cc. Then they don't know how to drive either. :wink:

oh yeah... very true. McD or pizza hut home delivery rider doesnt count as being a good driver. :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Plavt,

You make is sound like we only got our licenses here in Singapore and never drove anywhere before becoming an expat.

Some people might have and possibly haven't. :P Actually I haven't seen the bad driving people are referring to in Singapore but then when one only uses a cab between the airport and the centre they are not likely to. Unlike most people when I am there, shock horror, I use the MRT and buses.

I am not sure driving is much better in those cities you mention albeit for different reasons.