Singapore Expats

Air traffic controller

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
CarpeDi3m

Question

Post by CarpeDi3m » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 2:18 pm

What is the best way to get to the Aviation Academy from Serangoon MRT Station?

By the way, is parking there at the aviation academy free?

Anyone has any comments?

loansharkie

Post by loansharkie » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 8:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by loansharkie on Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewildblue

Post by thewildblue » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 3:55 pm

Hi everyone, been following this thread with interest, have a few questions of my own.

How long does christina/HR reply to your application?
Does CAAS recognise foreign degrees done at SIM? e.g. UOL.

Thanks for the help in advance guys! :)

KKT_1982

Greetings!

Post by KKT_1982 » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 5:26 pm

Hello people,

Have been following this thread on and off for quite some time, and seeing that it's been kinda 'lifeless' for a good 1 month, finally decided to register an account so that I can post something and try to revive it, haha...

Anyway, seems like CAAS are on the lookout for ATCs again? Just saw an ad on The paper a couple of weekends back. I'm currently contemplating changing my career path after being in the finance/banking industry since I graduated from uni, which is a good 3 years or so, and I must say the ATC post has certainly piqued my interest to a certain extent. That said, I doubt I'll be leaving my job anytime too soon as the bonus payout is usually end 1Q/early 2Q of the year so...Anyway, that's for another story.

loansharkie, I tried to PM you but realised that only posters with > 5 postings are allowed to use that feature, haha...So here's hoping you get to see this posting of mine!

Mainly, I'm curious as to how the job is like as a whole. I know that it's shift work, and I've read about the pay, but still have some queries which I hope the real ATCs on here can help with (not saying the rest are fake though!).

1) What are the shifts and work patterns like exactly? As in, how many shifts are there in a day, and what is the duration of each shift, as well as the start/end time of each shift? Also, how many days of work before your off day(s)?

2) What are the general benefits like? E.g. annual leave, medical coverage, dental benefits etc.?

Those are the 2 questions off the top of my head for now, and am just trying to find out more so that I can kinda compare it against my current package.

ATC was actually the first job I applied to upon graduation some 3 years back, and also the first interview I went to. Think I did quite ok for the aptitude test, but probably screwed up during the panel interview round, and hence was rejected, haha...Will I still be taken into consideration if I do indeed decide to re-apply for the position?

Hope to hear some insight from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

kimudon

Post by kimudon » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 3:29 pm

Hello all,

I have recently passed the apitude test and has been invited to the interview.

What will the interview be like? What will they normally ask in this interview?

Thanks alot for the help!!

elmino

Post by elmino » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:59 pm

Ooh, when did u take the test, kimudon?

Have u scheduled for interview yet?

linqed

Post by linqed » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:49 pm

hi all..
is this true?i read from other forums that if u were to fail your atc training,
u are required to pay back the salary u received+training fees.

vaio

Post by vaio » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 5:39 pm

linqed wrote:hi all..
u are required to pay back the salary u received+training fees.
So far never happen in history. Your source aren't correct.

vaio

Re: Greetings!

Post by vaio » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 5:42 pm

KKT_1982 wrote:1) What are the shifts and work patterns like exactly? As in, how many shifts are there in a day, and what is the duration of each shift, as well as the start/end time of each shift? Also, how many days of work before your off day(s)?

2) What are the general benefits like? E.g. annual leave, medical coverage, dental benefits etc.?

Thanks in advance!
The 2 above mentioned question you can ask christina.

msps8586

Post by msps8586 » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:31 am

[quote="linqed"]hi all..
u are required to pay back the salary u received+training fees.[/quote]

well, if u quit training on your own accord then u have to pay back.
if u tried your best and despite being given another chance, then its not your fault, and u will not be penalised. they're not unreasonable!

falcon737

Lastest Update on CAAS ATC Scheme of service

Post by falcon737 » Thu, 17 Feb 2011 5:00 pm

Here's some updates on the ATC scheme of service for those of you who are interested.
  • Pay
    You will get full salary according to your paper qualification (Min. Diploma), male applicant will get two increment more than female because of NS.

Bond
    You will need to pass two courses namely, Primary course and Area Procedural or Aerodrome course, before you start your OJT and your two years bond starts.

Leave
    You are entitled to 18 days of vacation leave which may be carried forward by a year. After 10 years of service the entitled may be increase to 21 days. You will also be allowed to take unrecorded leave within 8 weeks of the public holiday after which it will be communted to pay.

Medical Benefit
    The medical benefits are the same as civil service which is the MSO scheme. You will get 1% more CPF contribution to your Medisave account because you are not cover for hospitalisation. You co-pay 15% of your medical bill capped at $350 per year, for example a medical bill is $100 from a panel doctor you will pay $15 and claim $85 from the $350. Balance of the $350 will be credited to your Medisave account, if there is any at the end of the year. Dental claim is at 50% capped at $100 per year.

Shift
    By end of this year the shift system will be unified into a 8 days cycle or more like 16 days cycle. Afternoon duty is from 1530 to 2330, morning duty is from 0800 to 1630 and night duty is from 2300 to 0900. It runs in the following order:
    2 days Afternoon, Off Day, 2 days Morning, Off Day, Night, Rest,
    2 days Afternoon, Off Day, 2 days Morning, Night, Rest, Off Day.

Every month one of the off day you will be on standby duty to cover short fall if there are controller sick and another off day will be for In-Service Training (Office hour timing).

Special Benefit
    ATCO are encourage to take up Private Pilot License (PPL) as CAAS will subsidise 90% of the training course and 50% once you get the PPL to maintain the license.
Hope the above information is helpful.
Last edited by falcon737 on Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

atozprime

Re: Lastest Update on CAAS ATC Scheme of service

Post by atozprime » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 7:59 pm

morning duty is from 0800 to 1430 Hope the above information is helpful.[/quote]

Morning duty is from 0800 till 1630.

vaio

Post by vaio » Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:02 am

Medical Scheme under MSO:
Officers co-pay 15% of the total medical expenses. Subject to yearly cap of $350.

bjapp

Post by bjapp » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 1:10 pm

Does anybody know if a foreign experienced controller without a working visa of Singapore can be recruited as a controller in Singapore ?

falcon737

Post by falcon737 » Mon, 28 Feb 2011 1:17 pm

bjapp wrote:Does anybody know if a foreign experienced controller without a working visa of Singapore can be recruited as a controller in Singapore ?
Only Singaporean can apply.