Singapore Expats Forum

Question abt Getting into NUS Medicine

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

boii18
Reporter
Reporter

Question abt Getting into NUS Medicine

Postby boii18 » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 7:25 am

Yeah, any questions can post it here! I have one. :) Have already email-ed to the NUS office of admissions already, awaiting response.

I have just got my 'A' level results and would like to ask about getting into NUS medicine.

While I have a good academic record, I do not have a substantial portfolio because I was not that active in my CCA in my JC days. Is it possible for me to apply next year instead using my 2007 GCE A Level results, using the extra time to build up a track record in community involvement and societal activities. Would I be disadvantaged in any sense?

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Question abt Getting into NUS Medicine

Postby ksl » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 7:54 am

boii18 wrote:Yeah, any questions can post it here! I have one. :) Have already email-ed to the NUS office of admissions already, awaiting response.

I have just got my 'A' level results and would like to ask about getting into NUS medicine.

While I have a good academic record, I do not have a substantial portfolio because I was not that active in my CCA in my JC days. Is it possible for me to apply next year instead using my 2007 GCE A Level results, using the extra time to build up a track record in community involvement and societal activities. Would I be disadvantaged in any sense?

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Although i am no expert in this area, i believe commonsense ought to tell you, that time out to do practical work experience will be a plus, why shouldn't it be? If it's medicine you are going for, try to involve your activities in a related field, which may give you an edge, although remember, that the teaching environment must not be jeopardised, by your new knowledge.

I was myself marked down, for using inappropriate, terminology of a higher level, which i had gained on another course degree in a different Country...Personally the institional systems around the world reek of jealousy, and bureaucratic dickheads, so all you must do is kowtow and remember not be too smart, only learn, what they teach you, not what others have taught you.

Which you may gain a true insight too in the real world, practical experience, will knock your theory to bits, but teachers don't wish you to recognise those facts, so stick to theory at the level you are going to study on, I never took my business education until late in life, and had a wealth of experience in both marketing and business, many years before taking my studies.