Singapore Expats Forum

Getting PR and NS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
chris_mc726

Getting PR and NS

Postby chris_mc726 » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 8:34 pm

Hi,

I'm currently studying in NYP, and I'm planning to get my PR as soon as possible. When can I apply for my PR? And do I need to serve NS( My parents support me to go for NS) after getting my PR? I'm Malaysian Chinese.

Advice?=)

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 5:41 pm

Hey there,

It is generally easy to get your PR if you are studying in a local Poly or Uni. If you get your PR and both your parents are not Singaporean Citizens or Permanent Residence (i.e. you are a 1st-Generation PR), you will not have to worry about NS. If either of them are citizens of PR holders, then you will have to do NS (i.e. 2nd-Generation PR)

chris_mc726

Postby chris_mc726 » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 5:02 pm

Pinky wrote:Hey there,

It is generally easy to get your PR if you are studying in a local Poly or Uni. If you get your PR and both your parents are not Singaporean Citizens or Permanent Residence (i.e. you are a 1st-Generation PR), you will not have to worry about NS. If either of them are citizens of PR holders, then you will have to do NS (i.e. 2nd-Generation PR)

Thanks alot for ur advise. But my parents said that is better for me to go NS if I wish to stay and become a citizen of Singapore. Isit true?

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Postby madura » Fri, 04 Apr 2008 9:26 pm

chris_mc726 wrote:
Pinky wrote:Thanks alot for ur advise. But my parents said that is better for me to go NS if I wish to stay and become a citizen of Singapore. Isit true?

I've heard of people doing the same... I'm not sure why though.