Singapore Expats

[GAME] - Word Association

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
rt160177

[GAME] - Word Association

Post by rt160177 » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 3:56 pm

How to play

Once an original word has been chosen, usually randomly or arbitrarily, a player will find a word that they associate with it and make it known to all the players, usually by saying it aloud or writing in down as the next item on a list of words so far used. The next player must then do the same with this previous word. This continues in turns for any length of time, but often word limits are set, so that the game is agreed to end after, for instance, 400 words.

Usually, players write down the next word by merely using the first word that comes to their mind after they hear the previous one. Sometimes however they may put in more thought to find a more creative connection between the words. Exchanges are often fast and sometimes unpredictable (though logical patterns can usually be found without difficulty). Sometimes, a lot of the game's fun can arise from the seemingly strange or amusing associations that people make between words. It is also found amusing what you can get from an original word, and how they contrast distinctly, for example, from the word "tea" you could get the word "murder".

The game can be played actively or passively, sometimes taking many weeks to complete, and can in fact be played with any number of players, even one.

rt160177

Post by rt160177 » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 3:57 pm

Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: [GAME] - Word Association

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 6:35 pm

rt160177 wrote:any number of players, even one.
Isn't that called masturbation?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: [GAME] - Word Association

Post by ksl » Tue, 04 Mar 2008 8:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rt160177 wrote:any number of players, even one.
Isn't that called masturbation?
No it's called fornication, because one is never alone playing this game :) :wink: and it can take weeks to get to know your partners well enough....those actively involved are exhibitionists, and the passive players are voyeuristics' I've played both roles in my life time :oops: Of course i'm joking :oops: a little bit!

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 3:32 pm

And this is me, further derailing the topic.