Singapore Expats Forum

Latest Job Statistics in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Latest Job Statistics in Singapore.

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 5:01 pm

Latest Job Statistics from the MOM:

4. With the lowest unemployment in ten years3 and employment at an all-time high, the number of available Singaporean citizens to take up new jobs over the next few years, will shrink. This is already occurring as shown by the proportion of employment gains going to Singapore citizens, which dropped from 45% in 2004 to 40% in 2005 and to 37% in 2006. This is typical of periods of robust and sustained economic growth, with strong employment creation. Going forward, as a result of falling fertility and ageing, we will have to tap on older workers and women to maintain the size of our citizen workforce.

5. As at December 2006, there were 2,495,900 persons employed in Singapore. Out of every ten persons working, six were Singapore citizens (60% or 1,498,500), one was permanent resident (241,100 or 9.7%) and the remaining three were foreigners (30% or 756,300).

Whole Press Release

Interesting statistics. 4 out of 10 in the work force are not Singaporeans. What happens when 6 out of 10 are not Singaporeans? Can we then hold the country hostage for better wages by threatening strikes thereby crippling the country?

Wonder what the stats will be when the population gets to 6.5 m as desired by some quarters of the government.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 5:13 pm

Are strikes even legal here? I thought there's no right to organize here. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 5:26 pm

I believe any number of people over the amount of three constitutes an assembly and is therefore illegal. How silly.
- Thank God for Darwin -

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 7:45 pm

But when the foreigners are in the majority............

That's not a good claim to fame i think. There can't be many countries in the world that comes close to having it's citizens in the minority, other than maybe Monaco? Oh i can here it now from the tourist board; "Singapore, the Monaco of the East" :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 9:41 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:But when the foreigners are in the majority............

That's not a good claim to fame i think. There can't be many countries in the world that comes close to having it's citizens in the minority, other than maybe Monaco? Oh i can here it now from the tourist board; "Singapore, the Monaco of the East" :roll:

Scooby,

At least you caught my drift! :wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:40 pm

cutiebutie wrote:I believe any number of people over the amount of three constitutes an assembly and is therefore illegal. How silly.

Yes well, laws are always expected to be broken, does that mean school assembly is illegal then! :???: I'll have to fink about dat one! :wink: Yeah right, probably on the street right ( :evil: ) Better cancel the Formula 1, National Day, and any funerals too.

Does that silly law in Germany exsist today! No washing clothes on a Sunday?

Funny, that the Brits also made strikes illegal in UK, but they cannot stop anti-social behaviour. We have a society of who gives a toss, about law & order...the prisons are full, what they going to do, with the next 80,000 criminals.

You can get 6 months for passing wind these days! :roll: but dogs still get away with shitting on the grass.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 7:19 am

In the north of Scotland, where the 'wee free' church is popular...washing clothes and hanging out laundry is frowned upon also!
Whilst on holiday, they had notices to that effect on notice boards in the cottage!
:D
Yes, agree the Uk is in a mess right now with the PC brigade running amok.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:37 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Scooby,

At least you caught my drift! :wink:

I've still to determine how sad that is. :-k

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 11:00 am

nice rejoinder! :wink: