Singapore Expats Forum

Adopting husband's name

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

citrusfizz

Adopting husband's name

Postby citrusfizz » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 1:58 pm

I am a local, married a European. Have some questions about adopting husband's name. I know it's not the practice to do it in Singapore but my husband and his family expect that.
I would like to retain my name to avoid the hassle of updating at various banks and other entities that require so. And don't want to lose my original identity.
My English name is not reflected on my passport. I guess I have to do a deedpoll to have it added. AnnaABC( A is my family name and BC is given name.)
Want to remove my Hanyupingying too which is in bracket, wonder if I can replace that with my married name Anna Williams bracketed.
eg. AnnaABC
(Anna Williams)
or AnnaABC @ Anna Williams
Any advice is appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:13 pm

When my wife and I got married she didn't change her name per se so her NRIC still has her name as per her Birth Cert. The only thing we did was add an alias to the NRIC. So, with an alias you can just change the family name or use the husband's name with a Mrs. in front or just about any combination.

If you want to change the Birth Cert name then you will have to do a Deed Poll. Her brother did a Deed Poll to change his name to an Anglicized version which was his stage name because the venue's always would make the checks out to his stage name.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 4:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When my wife and I got married she didn't change her name per se so her NRIC still has her name as per her Birth Cert. The only thing we did was add an alias to the NRIC. So, with an alias you can just change the family name or use the husband's name with a Mrs. in front or just about any combination.

If you want to change the Birth Cert name then you will have to do a Deed Poll. Her brother did a Deed Poll to change his name to an Anglicized version which was his stage name because the venue's always would make the checks out to his stage name.

One would think it doesn't really matter, about name change, however my experience within the refugees for example, does show, that a name change is beneficial, when seeking rental property, and applying for work, not because of racism, but because of ignorance and fear of the unknown. It is only when it is the norm, that there is no bias.

So there are some benefits to gain, however, I don't believe deed poll is required, unless, you are a male and you can see the benefits, from changing...many would not even consider these benefits.

Although ignorance is a reality in this world unfortunately, and no laws in the world are going to change that attitude, So I would say, just be aware of this, if you feel, that you are not getting the interviews for positions, or feel you are being left to one side, it could well be because of your name.

Names appear to be quite important, just like branding is important to a product, and i have also considered changing my name, in my life, simply because i felt, it rather unlucky, although without having the facts, I cannot be convinced.

Although I have seen others, especially foreigners, held back, because of their name, when seeking employment and housing, i would suggest swimming with the current normalities, and not against them.

My wife still uses, her Chinese single name, probably because it's convenient, more than anything else here in Singapore, however, we swap and change in accordance with cultures and practicalities, to make life easier, and it does in Europe.

Deed Poll, well if its going to cost money, it's going to be a spectacular name, with a bit of weight for me, that's for sure!.

When i was on the night club sceen, I can recall every English Disc Jockey I met, used a stage name!

Making an impression is important for many, blending in with culture is another way of making life easier, even though, that shouldn't be the case, my experience shows, that names can have importance.