Living in Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
ssss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:27 am

Living in Singapore

Post by ssss » Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:31 am

I come from Hong Kong but I am now working in USA. My company just offer me around SG $120,000 per year working in Singapore. Is it good enough living in Singapore? I have a 11 years old daughter and my wife with me. Which International School good for my daughter? I would like her switch to local school later. Which local school good for her? Where the rent is cheaper for 3 room? Thanks.

Singapore Property Search

 

r0llerc0aster
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 3:23 pm

Post by r0llerc0aster » Wed, 27 Feb 2008 4:06 pm

thats definitely enough money to live in singapore if you do no spend extravagantly. have you been to singapore before?

the living expenses are pretty affordable, though prices have risen a bit due to inflation this few months.

i'm not so sure about International Schools, but you can enrol her into a good secondary school when she turns 13. there are many secondary schools around, so it depends on where you will be living.

getting a rented place in singapore is definitely cheaper in places further away from town? like in housing estates in bedok/tampines/hougang etc.
:)

User avatar
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Living costs

Post by joop » Wed, 27 Feb 2008 5:40 pm

Does your annual salary include housing expenses or excludes?

It would be more worthwhile if they could throw in some housing allowances. Since rentals can cost you anything from S$3,000-4000 easily.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

ssss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:27 am

Post by ssss » Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:07 pm

Unfortunately, :( my package not include housing expenses, I want to find a resonable rental to live. It is the best around $1500 to $2000. I am a Hong Kong guy. Do you know long can apply the PR? I have been Singapore one time a long time ago. Since I have working in USA for 7 years it is good to experience other culture. :D

r0llerc0aster
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 3:23 pm

Post by r0llerc0aster » Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:02 pm

hmmm , i think you should request for some housing allowance and living expenditure if you want to support both your wife and child, cos the rental fees arent that cheap!

you can look up the singapore government website regarding citizenship issues or check with your local embassy?

i have hk frens who feel that singapore is boring to them! though i don't know why.. :(

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:06 am

S$120k is more than enuf if you not gonna have a lavish lifestyle. so no more shark fin soup! :wink:

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:03 am

The $10k per month is around the level the SG government tells us is the average income for a local married couple if i remember the numbers right from the budget discussion this week. It might even be a little higher than the averages.

keepitreal
Regular
Regular
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 5:16 am
Location: UK

Post by keepitreal » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 8:39 am

10k is not enough mate, International School fees are expensive and so is rent. You need to push for housing allowance.

User avatar
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by joop » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:15 am

ssss wrote:Unfortunately, :( my package not include housing expenses, I want to find a resonable rental to live. It is the best around $1500 to $2000. I am a Hong Kong guy. Do you know long can apply the PR? I have been Singapore one time a long time ago. Since I have working in USA for 7 years it is good to experience other culture. :D
Unfortunately, this is the rental rate 2-3 years back, it's even hard to get a HDB at this rate.

Do push for your housing allowances.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

ssss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:27 am

Post by ssss » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:35 pm

Unfortunately, no any housing allowance of the package. I am now 2nd thought to relocate Singapore. :( It seems the rental and the International School are an abysm.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 1:37 pm

Yes you'll struggle to do both the Int'l school and pay rent. You did say that later you would switch your daughter to a local school, so any reason not to do that first? I'm not really asking to get an answer because its not my business but just thinking whether it's something you thought of and might be an option?

Rents can be in the $2.5k to $3.0k i suppose for the size of apartment you need, outside the centre of course. This would cover HDB (and a condo if you strike lucky). Depending on the age of condo you can get an okay one still for $2.50-3.00/sqft according to URA website for the last QTR of 2007. HDB's should be lower.

oku
Regular
Regular
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 8:20 am
Location: london

Post by oku » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 3:26 pm

for local schools, i like methodist girls' school and singapore chinese girls' school. both are in bukit timah area and good schools.

ssss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:27 am

Post by ssss » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 1:14 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:Yes you'll struggle to do both the Int'l school and pay rent. You did say that later you would switch your daughter to a local school, so any reason not to do that first? I'm not really asking to get an answer because its not my business but just thinking whether it's something you thought of and might be an option?

Rents can be in the $2.5k to $3.0k i suppose for the size of apartment you need, outside the centre of course. This would cover HDB (and a condo if you strike lucky). Depending on the age of condo you can get an okay one still for $2.50-3.00/sqft according to URA website for the last QTR of 2007. HDB's should be lower.
The reason is that many Int'l schools in US curriculum are offering IB programs. I'm not sure whether my daughter who will be in 6th Grade this fall could readjust to local secondary schools. BTW is there any local school have IB program?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 9:09 am

ssss wrote: The reason is that many Int'l schools in US curriculum are offering IB programs. I'm not sure whether my daughter who will be in 6th Grade this fall could readjust to local secondary schools. BTW is there any local school have IB program?
http://www.singaporeedu.gov.sg/htm/stu/stu0110.htm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Forks
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:41 am
Location: in the draw
Contact:

Post by Forks » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 7:23 pm

120K, depend on if your company pays anything extra like schools rent etc etc, coz its schools and rent which will be the biggest costs, International Schools will be about 15K per child not including transport/busses etc etc and if you decide to live right in the middle of town expect to pay, but if you avoid the gilded cage of the expat then you will have more than enough.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests