Singapore Expats Forum

Convection Ovens - any advice ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Convection Ovens - any advice ?

Postby ozchick » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 6:35 pm

I'm wanting advice on convection ovens. I'm about to buy one but some come with a tray that water into which water should be poured, and others don't have this facility at all. I'd prefer the one without the need for water....but not if it doesn't cook the whole range of dishes as well as the other type. Anybody had experience with this ?
(Moved this from other forum....hope that's alright sms and co cos I'm getting no responses and I'm sick of stir-fries !)

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 7:01 pm

i never heard of a convection oven with water before. my only guess is with the water, your oven can be turn into a steamer or to keep the meat moist during cooking. i got a normal oven and sometimes when i am cooking meat, i would put a metal bowl with water at the bottom. i guessed it's the same concept.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 9:15 pm

OK ? Yeah that should work shouldn't it ? But I don't get why a convection oven needs water at any time more than a normal oven. But I failed year 8 science so maybe ther's some obvious reason that I don't see.
Ozchick's yr 8 science report said, and I quote:
0zchick "does not understand the basic principles of science. "

(Yeah yeah tell someone who cares you morons !) :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:04 pm

this is not science, this is home economics. :)

anyway, if the price difference between an oven with water or without is great, then just get the one without and buy a metal bowl. :P

you wont be using water in the oven for every single food you cook in it.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:23 am

durain wrote:this is not science, this is home economics. :)

anyway, if the price difference between an oven with water or without is great, then just get the one without and buy a metal bowl. :P

LOL. I don't know if this qualify as home ed as I was never taught this in class :P . Unfortunately I have never heard of convection ocean using water. Though I vaguely rememeber my mom roasting chicken in a pot and the lid was the oven itself and it involved the use of water, of sort. But that was over 2 decades ago. Wonder if it is the same type of setup you are referring to.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 3:57 pm

ozchick,

If you want to do more with your convection oven (like steam), go for the one with the water tray. But if you're not going to be steaming anything, then go for the other convection oven.

durain,

Even cooking involves some science (like acidic medium or sour broth dulls the color of your green leafy vegetables). I once took a certain university course as an elective. Title of the course is Food & Nutrition (FN)101: Introduction to Food Preparation. Guess what the pre-requisite class was? Chem 16 (Intro to Chemistry). It was fun working in the FN 101 lab. We were basically cooking stuff and doing some analysis after we've eaten our end products. :D

To ozchick, happy cooking! :)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning