Singapore Expats Forum

British Airways Recruitment

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
purple.sara
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri, 14 Dec 2007

Postby purple.sara » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 1:26 pm

my cousin went for BA interview 2 years back and she got booted out during the mandarin speaking part...she said they'll give a eng passage and u have to translate into chinese..not sure if this part is still in place...worried

pamie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

Postby pamie » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 1:29 pm

purple.sara wrote:my cousin went for BA interview 2 years back and she got booted out during the mandarin speaking part...she said they'll give a eng passage and u have to translate into chinese..not sure if this part is still in place...worried


faint.. den i sure gonner.. my china language is horrible.. i read 1 word and skip the nxt 4... deadmeat!
~ pamie pamie pamie ~

User avatar
Dru
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat, 23 Feb 2008

Postby Dru » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:14 am

Thanks Plavt,

I'll keep that in mind...

:D
Life's A Bowl Of Salad...

WING
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

BA

Postby WING » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 12:12 pm

hi
abt the translation of english passage, just do your best to translate it to your understanding of the passage. i was told that when i went for the interview 2 yrs back. I remembered the interviewer was soooo friendly that i soon forget abt nervousness and was able to do the translation quite well!
All the best for those going for the interview!

eneleda
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat, 08 Dec 2007

Postby eneleda » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 1:23 pm

Wing r u a crew?

pamie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

Re: BA

Postby pamie » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:35 pm

WING wrote:hi
abt the translation of english passage, just do your best to translate it to your understanding of the passage. i was told that when i went for the interview 2 yrs back. I remembered the interviewer was soooo friendly that i soon forget abt nervousness and was able to do the translation quite well!
All the best for those going for the interview!



oh.. so nt req to read the passage aloud? juz for understanding to translate?
~ pamie pamie pamie ~

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: BA

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:15 am

pamie wrote:
oh.. so nt req to read the passage aloud? juz for understanding to translate?


#-o You have got a hope! They want you to be able to speak Chinese as well as write and translate that is the whole point of employing Singaporeans! :roll:

brenda
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon, 09 May 2005

Postby brenda » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 2:35 am

oh no..i miss tis opp:( so when will ba have an other recruitment for sin base????

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 3:10 am

brenda wrote:oh no..i miss tis opp:( so when will ba have an other recruitment for sin base????


Hazarding a guess I would say in about a years time. Get the necessary English and Chinese qualifications - time to prepare.
:wink:

brenda
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon, 09 May 2005

Postby brenda » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:36 am

ohhh :shock: :shock: :shock: okokok...

Fatty
Regular
Regular
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri, 22 Feb 2008

Postby Fatty » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 3:13 pm

brenda wrote:oh no..i miss tis opp:( so when will ba have an other recruitment for sin base????


i miss mine too. don knw nit to wait hw long more... BA seem to intake in sg rarely :(

pamie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

Re: BA

Postby pamie » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 3:36 pm

Plavt wrote:
pamie wrote:
oh.. so nt req to read the passage aloud? juz for understanding to translate?


#-o You have got a hope! They want you to be able to speak Chinese as well as write and translate that is the whole point of employing Singaporeans! :roll:


yes... a lil more hope if they call me down for interview...
chinese i can write a little.. :X

i guess... if im lucky.. mayb can grab the gist of the article and "smoke" thru...
~ pamie pamie pamie ~

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: BA

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 4:24 pm

pamie wrote:
i guess... if im lucky.. mayb can grab the gist of the article and "smoke" thru...
:(

I doubt it, see post from an earlier thread particularly by toygirl;


BA has a mandatory GCE O Level pass in Mandarin - you will need to do announcements in fluent Mandarin and be able to communicate in Cantonese (is a plus)- those C5, C6 Chinese Language holders can keep walking. They hire rarely and in very limited numbers as turnover is low. The contract is on a 1 year basis in the first instance.

There's only 3 rounds for BA - Intro/translation in Chinese, 2nd rounds - a more complex intro/translation in Chinese and a 3rd one is group interview/1-1 - If I can remember correctly. As guessed, the emphasis is on your Chinese language skills.



http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic35648-0-asc-0.html

pamie
Regular
Regular
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008

Re: BA

Postby pamie » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 5:44 pm

Plavt wrote:
pamie wrote:
i guess... if im lucky.. mayb can grab the gist of the article and "smoke" thru...
:(

I doubt it, see post from an earlier thread particularly by toygirl;


BA has a mandatory GCE O Level pass in Mandarin - you will need to do announcements in fluent Mandarin and be able to communicate in Cantonese (is a plus)- those C5, C6 Chinese Language holders can keep walking. They hire rarely and in very limited numbers as turnover is low. The contract is on a 1 year basis in the first instance.

There's only 3 rounds for BA - Intro/translation in Chinese, 2nd rounds - a more complex intro/translation in Chinese and a 3rd one is group interview/1-1 - If I can remember correctly. As guessed, the emphasis is on your Chinese language skills.



http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic35648-0-asc-0.html


wow... my cantonese spoken is conversational kind..
hm... acutually.. fluent mandarin announcements <--- i tink u prob could memorize the announcement rite? probably if need be change a few words..
~ pamie pamie pamie ~

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: BA

Postby Plavt » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 7:33 pm

pamie wrote:wow... my cantonese spoken is conversational kind..
hm... acutually.. fluent mandarin announcements <--- i tink u prob could memorize the announcement rite? probably if need be change a few words..


#-o ](*,) [-o<

Pamie, read the sentence in the quote: Cantonese (is a plus). That means if you speak Cantonese it is an advantage but you need to be fluent in Mandarin since that is the Chinese spoken in Singapore and China..... [-X


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests