Singapore Expats Forum

getting started teaching ESL

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

izabelle

getting started teaching ESL

Postby izabelle » Fri, 10 Sep 2004 3:02 pm

I've recently moved to Singapore and would like to begin teaching English, but I'm unsure how to get started. I am a native English speaker and have a university degree. Specifically, I'm wondering about...

1. Is there any certification that I should get (TESOL or TEFL or something else) before I begin teaching? If yes, how can I obtain it in Singapore?
2. What is the most effective way to start looking for a position? Calling International School, recuritment agencies, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ylovskee

teaching english in Singapore

Postby ylovskee » Tue, 14 Sep 2004 3:33 pm

hi Izabelle,
you are fortunate to be living in Singapore now. From what country did you come from? Anyway, you have a greater chance to look out for a teaching job there.With regards to your questions:

1. yes, it will be better for you to take up TESOL / TEFL courses first because that's a plus. Schools require TESOL certified teachers although they already have a college degree. TESOL/TEFL courses are offered on-line, but it's best if you take up the course in a formal way (let's say, enrol in a TESOL center/institute). Check out websites that offer this course.

2. Jobs for TESOL teachers / English teachers are found anywhere on the web! You'll be surprised at the results you'll get.

Hope this helps. I'm taking up TESOL now and will be relocating to Singapore afterwards. Get all the contacts you could possibly get. Research on-line. Keep me posted, too! God bless you!

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 2:32 pm

Expats' family is seeking for a private English tutor(native
speaker) for a 3.5 years old energetic, communicative and easy-to-go boy.
2 times a week classes for 2 hours are desired by parents, but
we are flexible and the details are fairly negotiable.
Interested teachers are welcome to contact Yulia by e-mail
pozhitkov@sycamore.com.sg or mobile (65) 94357975.

Evgueni&Yulia