Singapore Expats Forum

Can you use brown jasmine rice to make fried rice?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Can you use brown jasmine rice to make fried rice?

Postby familyof5 » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 2:24 pm

:-k

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 4:32 pm

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 5:30 pm

SMS, I was disappointed with that. I thought you were going to share your secret recipe!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 6:17 pm

I had posted a recipe for Fried Jasmine Rice but then realized that the question was about Fried "Brown" Jasmine Rice. I have a recipe for Thai Fried Jasmine Rice. I reckon you could use Brown Jasmine Rice just as easy. I just assumed (I know.....) they were asking if they could use Brown Jasmine Rice. So, just in case here are recipes for Thai Fried Jasmine Rice and Jasmine Rice which you will need for the fried rice.

How to cook Thai Jasmine Rice - Khao Chow:

Take 1 cup of Thai jasmine rice and place in a medium pot. Rinse the rice with cold water and drain water at least three times to remove any debris. Add water to the sauce pan until the water level is 1 centimeter above the rice or 1 1/2 cups of water. Place a lid on the pot. Set the stove to medium heat and place the pot on the element. After 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let the rice rest for 10 more minutes.

Recipe for Thai Fried Jasmine Rice - Pad Khao Chow:

2 cups Thai jasmine rice cooked
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
3 cloves garlic chopped
½ cup of frozen peas and carrots thawed
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 sprig of Thai basil chopped
1 sprig for green onion chopped

Instructions on making fried egg strips: In a small bowl, crack an egg and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce mix using a fork. Set the stove heat to high heat and place a wok on top. Add 1 tablespoon each of oil and garlic into the wok. Add the egg and swirl the egg around the wok. Fold the fried egg in half and flip the egg again to cook the other side. Place the fried egg on to a cutting board. Once the fried egg is cooled, slice the egg finely and thinly to create long strips.

Instructions on making Thai Jasmine Fried Rice: Set the stove heat to high and place the wok on top. Add 1 tablespoon each of oil and garlic into the wok. Add the thawed vegetables and mix for 1 minute. Add the cooked jasmine rice. Add 2 tablespoons each of oyster sauce and soy sauce. Mix to incorporate all ingredients and break up any rice clumps. Once the rice is all broken up, add chopped Thai basil and green onions. Place in a serving bowl and top off with the fried egg strips.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 9:45 pm

you assumed correctly sms. i wasnt sure if the 'brown' would make a difference. anyway, it was quite tasty. slop in a bit of the sweet and sour jar stuff, a bit of chopped chicken and pineapple and the kids loved it. i love it when a plan comes together.

thanks for t'other recipe.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:51 am

I was only pulling your leg, SMS! Your recipe sounds delicious and fairly easy too. Thanks for caring and sharing. :wink:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:02 am

ok, one BIG tip on cooking fried rice... it is better to use leftover rice or overnight rice. if the rice is freshly cooked and still warm, it wouldn't break up as easy as if it was leftover/overnight, and it might stick to the pan too.

as for frying brown rice, not sure if it would be as good as with white fried. i mean, it is possible, rice is rice, but will it taste as good? maybe you try mixing it with white rice. i have eaten brown rice on it's own and didnt particularly like it, so i mixed it with white and it was better.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:41 am

durain,

Excellent point. I guess I should have indicated that you should prepare the rice the day before (which I always do - usually just left-over rice). :oops:

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 1:31 pm

yes i already knew you should prepare the day before. i didnt, but after a couple of hours in the fridge it broke up ok.

i dont care if it tastes crap. brown rice is good for you dammit! Plus, if you are 2 years and under, you dont know any different. :twisted:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 2:48 pm

familyof5,

My kids was brought up as wee ones using basmati brown rice because brown rice is so much better nutrient-wise than white rice. (Wife is Indian)

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 3:11 pm

ultimately you can use any rice / any spice pretty much whatever you want ....

brown rice i think adds a nice "crunch" tho i prefer jasmine.

you can also soak the rice for a bit instead of rinsing ..... this is to remove the starch so the rice doesn't stick together ... so it seperates.

personally i abhor sweet and sour from a bottle but if you like it and your kids like it that's the most important.

i also sometimes like to add fish sauce instead of soy but that's just me. the key is to experiment!

lymz

Postby lymz » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:32 am

For me, when i make fried rice, i prefer to use the long grain rice because that is not so sticky when it's cooked. It's a bit hard which is good for the fried rice. Anyway just like huggybear said any rice will do.

singforsam

Postby singforsam » Fri, 22 Feb 2008 6:59 am

Wow, thanks for posting a recipe on making fried rice. I'm not a very good cook so this definitely helps!

Sam W, UMGD