Singapore Expats Forum

Zeitgest - 'spirit of the time'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CalgaryM

Zeitgest - 'spirit of the time'

Postby CalgaryM » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 1:40 pm

This is a must be seen movie. It refers to the moral and intellectual trends of a given era.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Any comments?

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Re: Zeitgest - 'spirit of the time'

Postby whatalark » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 4:35 pm

CalgaryM wrote:This is a must be seen movie. It refers to the moral and intellectual trends of a given era.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Any comments?

well, i got thru 37 minutes of the thing and it's mighty weird to me that someone would consider the Christian 'myth' so insidiously threatening to society if it has existed in so many shapes and forms previously in history. Was Mithra also a threat to the mental, spiritual and intellectual health of his era?

lessee, maybe you should go head-to-head with one of the learned ones in the Christian faith who also studied comparative religions et al who can give you a worthwhile comeback on this video...
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

CalgaryM

Postby CalgaryM » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:13 am

The whole movie including the part you have seen is debatable. It is a new approach and it could be considered just as a new theory. I suggest you to see the entire movie as the events are getting much closer to our days, including 9/11. I would like to get your opinion about that part, too.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:18 am

I've watched something similar before and I'm not sure if it's the same movie.

My only comment is that hindsight isn't always accurate in determining a motive. Some people guess their way through life and at the end of it, it's simple looking back to point to some turning points that led to their success and assume that concious, educated decisions with a specific objective in mind were made rather then gambles or guesses that paid off, sometimes with unexpected results that people then tried to make the best of.

The same way that I take autobiographies that allege certain good decisions were made as part of a person's genius with a pinch of salt, I'd also take this same movie with that same pinch of salt.

Altogether though, there were some very insightful observations on certain cause and effect situations that I found very instructive because some of the ideas were still only ideas when they were first implemented and the unpredicted effects were very informative.

I'd recommend it as long as people can bear in mind that it is propoganda with an agenda.

Jamesharding

Postby Jamesharding » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 5:58 pm

interesting that should come up, Myself and an aussie bloke i got chattin to the other day were dicussing thi particular film. and the reason the subject came up was because he had read an article recently about a lot of Singaporeans think it's a great idea to have a chip set inside your body. i wouldn't be surprised
Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll. Singapore is slightly lacking some of these vital life ingredients

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Sun, 17 Feb 2008 6:36 am

Paranoid propaganda.
Political power and secret networks have alwys been intimidating to people, but in reality this piece of junk represents the folklore of our times. "The people flying those planes were not terrorists blahblahblah, maybe it even was the US government yadayadayada...." C'mon guys, get a life! :lol:
You do what you are.

Jamesharding

Postby Jamesharding » Mon, 18 Feb 2008 7:22 pm

you won't be saying that when you're ties down and omeone's trying to implant a chip in your neck... or when the aliens from roswell that the government covered up are probing you. Unless you're into that sort of thing
Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll. Singapore is slightly lacking some of these vital life ingredients

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Tue, 19 Feb 2008 6:12 am

Who says I want it in my neck...??? :wink: :P :mrgreen:
You do what you are.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 19 Feb 2008 6:36 am

GordonGekko wrote:Who says I want it in my neck...??? :wink: :P :mrgreen:

:shock:

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 26 Feb 2008 1:04 pm

Interesting stuff.

1. I believe in a higher being but I dont need some Franchise to tell me what to do about it or what it is.

2. Organized religion in general when it heads into fundamentalism is bad, most of the individuals believing it are harmless, its the nuts at the top who gain the most from it.

3. No matter who did 911, it has been exploited for great gain by the US and others including Al Queda, that siad there are some very strange anomolies about it which just refuse to go away and we all know how the kenedy assination and the faked moon landing were whitewashed (bait)

4. If you have a cell phone your already chipped, giving up heroin would be easier, so just live with it.