Singapore Expats Forum

Knife Sharpening?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Knife Sharpening?

Postby huggybear » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:50 am

Hi,

I wanted to get my kitchen knives professionally sharpened as they are dull now and struggle cutting through tomatoes....any ideas on where to go? somewhere close to orchard would be divine tho guess i am willing to travel.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:34 am

Hi stranger! Gong Xi Fa Cai

Try this place:

Xinghe Knife Sharpening Service
74 Geylang Bahru #01-2876 Singapore 339682
Tel : 6293-2286
Fax : 6297-1857

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 7:18 pm

you can easily sharpen your knifes yourself. provided the knifes are of good quality, get a "stick or rod" sharpening steel (or ceremic but cost a lot more!). dont get those rolling/wheels sharpener.

i use the stick/rod to sharpen my knifes now. a lot of butchers and chefs use them too. they are excellent.

http://www.globalknives.uk.com/sharpening.htm

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 7:51 pm

just make sure if you have one you don't slice of the top of your knuckle or worse. If they are really dull you will need to use a stone (preferrably a Hard Arkansas) first to recondition the edge. Then use the steel to remove the burr and fine tune it. I use both. A steel on my german good carving set (nobody is allowed to use them except me - you would have to know my household for the reason why) and a double grit stone for the daily kitchen ones used by all and sundry.

Durain, I was initially going to suggest the same thing but then decided against it.

http://www.jacquespepin.net/members/tec ... knife.html

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Knife Sharpening?

Postby ksl » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:17 pm

huggybear wrote:Hi,

I wanted to get my kitchen knives professionally sharpened as they are dull now and struggle cutting through tomatoes....any ideas on where to go? somewhere close to orchard would be divine tho guess i am willing to travel.

Stranger in the night! I used to be a butcher for Danish Crown, take them to any butcher, he should be professional enough to sharpen them, It truly is an art, that takes some learning...to make a very good job of it.

I myself had to do five bone knives and 5 meat knives, for each shift, otherwise we couldn't earn the bonus. You should be able to shave with it!

Have you just woke up from hibernation and feel peckish? :)

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:30 am

i have the stone as well but only use it once in a while. probably use the rod once a week to keen the knife in tip top condition. knife is my department and i like to keep them sharp. in fact, just sharpen using the rod as i need to cut some tomatoes for the salad. perfect slices :)

dont bother getting those "lazer" knives that doesnt need sharpening. get a good quality knife and sharpen them regularly. good knives are not cheap. look for the brand global and j.a. henckels. they are top quality.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:51 am

durain wrote: get a good quality knife and sharpen them regularly. good knives are not cheap. look for the brand global and j.a. henckels. they are top quality.

Agreed. My carving set are j a hehckels and my personal kitchen set are a less expensive but good quality Royal VKB. My wife is afraid of knives and because these are "sharp" she is afraid to use them. Then I've got my MiL who could destroy the best non-stick pan in 1 minute and knives don't stand a chance! (course she grew up with cast-iron pots & woks and heavy mild steel cleavers made in china).

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:04 pm

sms, henckels is an excellent choice. i see you like your knives too. :wink:

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:58 am

yes i have a set of Wustoff's.....trident i believe.
they are wonderful tho i wish i could chop veggies as fast as the pros. sad to say i lost the sharpening rod but i do have a stone that came with a knife i bought with a chef's knife (9") i bought in kyoto as this 400 year old knife store. Bit scared to use it still as they always make it seem like you will ruin your knife if it's at not the exact right angle etc. plus i had read from many blogs that it's best to get them professionally done every year? regardless yea, the locals i have seen and my mom prefer to use these really dull knifes that won't even cut my skin when i saw my arm with it .... i find this strange.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:01 pm

cast iron pots and pans are awesome.
i have one le creuset cast iron grill and a non stick cast iron skillet. i use both regularly...i also want at some point to get me a Thermomix contraption (largest seller in spain) and some kind of sous vide machine .... but those are for when the property market crashes and i can buy a shop house for 500k :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:07 pm

Huggy, when I said cast iron I didn't really mean Creuset. More like Ah Seng's Forge in Jalan Forgotten Back Alley somewhere. :P Good cast iron cookware it fantastic. This stuff she used had to be cured before you used it every time! :wink:

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 2:58 pm

haha yes. in the US there's a brand called Lodge. can get a high quality cast iron skillet for $20 which still isn't as cheap as prolly what you can find in JJ market in Bangkok probably.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 6:28 pm

huggybear wrote:yes i have a set of Wustoff's.....trident i believe.
they are wonderful tho i wish i could chop veggies as fast as the pros. sad to say i lost the sharpening rod but i do have a stone that came with a knife i bought with a chef's knife (9") i bought in kyoto as this 400 year old knife store. Bit scared to use it still as they always make it seem like you will ruin your knife if it's at not the exact right angle etc. plus i had read from many blogs that it's best to get them professionally done every year? regardless yea, the locals i have seen and my mom prefer to use these really dull knifes that won't even cut my skin when i saw my arm with it .... i find this strange.

you got good quality knives. you dont use the stone everyday, probably only use it once a year. but you can use the rod everyday. if you have some cheapo knives, do some practice run on the stone. :)

i cant chop like a chef nor can i sharpen the knife with the rod like a chef, but i do know having a sharp knives make cooking easier and enjoyable.

Steven S

Postby Steven S » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 8:38 pm

Try razorsharp.com.sg

They not only sell Japanese knives, they also offer sharpening services.

Showa

Postby Showa » Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:00 am

u can contact Joe @ josiahchoong@yahoo.com.sg for knives sharpening service. He provides sharpening service for professional knives at the precise angle required.

Return to “General Discussions”