Singapore Expats Forum

Kiwi's in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sheryn

Kiwi's in Singapore

Postby sheryn » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:54 am

Hiya

My husband and I are moving to Singapore in a couple of months, and I was wondering if there are any Kiwi Clubs or groups that anyone could recommend suitable for a 36 & 45 yr old with no kids.

Thanks

Sheryn

morton
Regular
Regular

Postby morton » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:47 am

Hi Sheryn

Here's a pre-emptive 'welcome to Singapore'

There's an Australian and New Zealand Club here...
http://www.anza.org.sg/

Must confess, I don't know anything about it - I might go to their next Friday night drinks and check it out.

sheryn

Postby sheryn » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks Morton, very much appreciated

Cheers

Sheryn

JermD
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JermD » Thu, 14 Feb 2008 4:56 pm

Kia Ora Sheryn,

I'm a fellow Kiwi and joined ANZA about a year ago. They have a good Introduction to Singapore morning which is worthwhile for new expats and describes things like health issues, schooling, housing, driving, etc. and is a good way to meet fellow "newbie" Kiwi and Aussie expats. This is followed up a shortwhile later by an evening drinks and nibbles. Also a good meeting point. They also have a regular coffee morning (fortnightly I think) which seems to draw the crowds (admittedly I haven't been but have seen the photos in ANZA's monthly magazine).

I have personally found this expat forum a good place to meet and arrange events for meeting people - not just expats either.

Hopefully see you and your husband soon in sunny Singapore.

Jeremy.

NZGirl

Postby NZGirl » Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:25 am

Hi Sheryn

There is the NZ Chamber of Commerce. This is a group that mainly NZers join.

They do all sorts of events and have a social netball team.

Check out the website
www.nzchamber.org.sg

Welcome to SIngapore :)

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Dont be concerned..

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 8:30 am

Dont worry about a thing...

I have made some lasting friends thru ANZA (check out their website and only $60.00 to join for 6 months- you get a great monthly magazine posted out- for that price- alone worth it)) coffee mornings- held fortnightly - and really great guided tours weekly..They usually have an activity everyday...So there is no excuse to be lonely here...

Dont be shy about putting your own coffee meet groups on line here either...Its probably easier thru anza though- the coffee mornings get a group of at least 20 people every time and comprise of Aussies/Kiwis and Brits..(they also tend to be more in your age range as the younger ones often go to drinking nights- and the young Mums tend to befriends thru their kids)

Also depending on where you live...and your budget..the more expensive condos tend to attract a large amount of expats and you make friends quickly thru them. I have amazing people where I live..

I have been here only 8 weeks and already have more friends than ever thought I would- When I went to organise a BBQ this week I was stunned to realised that the list was too long to invite all the people I like (including partners) It takes a bit of persistance to bond with people, as some days you cant be bothered leaving the house..but its worth it.. I went thru a very difficult period weeks 2-5 (considered normal) but have fully recovered now!

You will miss home at times but you will make connections quickly as we are all in the same boat.

Good luck and dont be worried..

L
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 9:25 am

notwavingdrowning,

Sounds like it might be time for a nick change......

to something like "wavingnotdrowning"

:wink:

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

He is right

Postby notwavingdrowning » Sat, 19 Jul 2008 3:18 pm

Sundaymorningstaple is spot on...See my thread "Unhappy Expats" to see what he is talking about...

To Kiwi and any other new arrivals- things can be a bit tricky when you arrive, especially if you are like me and have high expectation of yourself...Be kind to yourself- and be patient too...Singapore really does have so much to offer, but like in life, nothing is handed to you on a silver platter..You have to get out there and find it...A life that is...Its been 8 weeks now for me and dare I say it...I think things are just going to keep on getting better...

Thank SMS...You are such a cool dude :wink:
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.