Singapore Expats Forum

New to Singapore

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
Snoogans

New to Singapore

Postby Snoogans » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 9:37 am

Hello all,

New to Singapore and from the US (35 m). Been here all of 3 weeks and am looking to meet new friends and explore.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:19 am

Welcome to hell...I mean Singapore :cool: :lol:

Keep checking these froums and when you see an event you'd like to join let them know and they'll let you know the details. Have fun and catch ya later.

time

Re: New to Singapore

Postby time » Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:55 pm

Snoogans wrote:Hello all,

New to Singapore and from the US (35 m). Been here all of 3 weeks and am looking to meet new friends and explore.

There are loads to see and do in Singapore. I just came back from a long business trip too and I see that somethings have changed in the country from the time before I went away! We all know what it's like being in a new country. Welcome and make yourself at home =)

placebo

yeah

Postby placebo » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 6:40 pm

welcome to singapore

how and what have you been up to so far?

if you are casting about for something to do friday night there is the friday night drinking club (its not as hardcore as it sounds) and then sat you can brave the weather at sentosa and try beach volleyball
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
- Henry Kissinger

yayapapaya
Regular
Regular

Cultural & Language Exchange :)

Postby yayapapaya » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 7:51 am

Welcome to Sunny Singapore !! :)

If you like to meet new people, my club is organising a get-together dinner this coming tues 12 Feb

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=10256361212

Organizer(s):
Gabriel Kang - (+65 9383 0220 / +852 6694 7155)
Jewel Fong - (+65 9108 0034)

Date: Tuesday 12th Feb 2008
Time: 7pm - 9pm

Cost:
Depends on the drinks & snacks you order (Between S$4-S$20)

Venue:
Vila'ge, Heeren Basement

Meeting Point:
Somerset MRT Station at 6.45pm, please call Gabriel @ 9383 0220 or Jewel @ 9108 0034 if you are unable to identify the group.

**** About Us ****

We are dedicated in improving our language skills through open communication, cultural exchange and interaction among members during our weekly meetings. Key languages used will be English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Spanish, German & French. However we will also be delighted to interact with those who can practice other languages with us.

We meet up once a week casually (sometimes twice) and our members are typically a mix of Expatriates who are based in Singapore and local Singaporeans.

Our members are people who are outspoken, fun loving and passionate about sharing their experiences, culture and language while also improving their fluency in foreign languages for themselves as well as others in the group.

If you'll like more info, you can find us on Facebook :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10573296577

Cheers,
Jewel

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 8:02 am

yayapapaya, i hope they are not bunch of arogant people. :P

jezzman
Regular
Regular

Postby jezzman » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 9:40 am

Hi Snoogans,

My wife and I have been here two weeks (almost) so are just as new as you. What do you like to do?
Me, fail English?
But nooo, that's unpossible....

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:34 am

Arh, time for you to explore everywhere. You can always join into our "Old Folks" activities here. :P

Ohh. How was your CNY Reunion & Holidays ? ?

yayapapaya
Regular
Regular

Tonight's Language & Cultural Exchange Gathering

Postby yayapapaya » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:16 am

Haha... durian, thats a gd joke.. don't be fooled by my name "yayapapapaya".. lol.. they're all warm, friendly n nice people.. mostly expats. Being new to Spore, they join our club to meet new people from all over the world..

This club was started in Hongkong, it was so popular that each event sees a minimum turn out of at least 100 people.. from all over the world.. so we decided to spin off something similar in Singapore.. we've just started this week, so it's still a cozy turnout but we're already seeing positive responses..

You're most welcomed to join us tonight for dinner :)

Cheers,
Jewel

Snoogans

Postby Snoogans » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks all for your responses!!! It's good to know there are others in the same situation.

I've been to the office and back to my condo mostly. I'm fairly busy so that doesn't help things and the midnight conference calls are killing me. Still, I'm slowly learning about Singapore through office mates. Been to a few dodgy bars as they say but nothing to write home about if you know what I mean.

I am usually up for anything and anywhere that doesn't blast music requiring you to shout at everyone within earshot to be heard. :P

Lately it seems I've been enjoying some serious discussion surrounding US politics. I've been educating my non-US friends about the presidental election process that's currently going on in the US. It's way more fun than I thought due to the information exchange regarding politcal systems around the world.

yayapapaya
Regular
Regular

Nice !!!

Postby yayapapaya » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 4:09 pm

Snoogans wrote:
I am usually up for anything and anywhere that doesn't blast music requiring you to shout at everyone within earshot to be heard. :P

Lately it seems I've been enjoying some serious discussion surrounding US politics. I've been educating my non-US friends about the presidental election process that's currently going on in the US. It's way more fun than I thought due to the information exchange regarding politcal systems around the world.

I know what you mean !!! We started the club cos we all wanted an alternative networking opportunity to meet new people without having to yell our names out loud thru the music...

And it's been fun meeting new people from all over the world, learning about each other's cultural and language.. There's just sooo much to learn from one another, its incredible :)

So you feel like sharing with more non-US people about the current presidential election process?? We'll be organizing another group meeting soon.. I could keep you posted :)

Cheers,
Jewel

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 4:15 pm

Snoogans wrote:Lately it seems I've been enjoying some serious discussion surrounding US politics. I've been educating my non-US friends about the presidental election process that's currently going on in the US. It's way more fun than I thought due to the information exchange regarding politcal systems around the world.

First of all, welcome to SG! There are a lot of activities being planned here. Just watch out for announcements in this forum.

Yeah, it's interesting to know how different presidential election process is in the US. I got a briefing last night from someone.

Make sure to take time to go around SG (not just the bars!) and get to know people.

Cheers,
A_G
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 4:44 pm

Snoogans wrote:Lately it seems I've been enjoying some serious discussion surrounding US politics. I've been educating my non-US friends about the presidental election process that's currently going on in the US. It's way more fun than I thought due to the information exchange regarding politcal systems around the world.

Ya. The situation in the Democrat is getting more intense ! ! :o

Hillary, Obama . . 50 vs 50 ? ? :roll:

traveler299

Also new to Singapore

Postby traveler299 » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm also new to town and from the US (37F), arriving just after the holidays. I'm looking to meet new people and explore the city.

Hope to see some of you soon

Snoogans

Postby Snoogans » Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:07 am

Hey Jewel,

I'm way down with meeting new folks. Any opportunity to get to know Singapore and meet like minded people, Keep me posted: jpkim359@hotmail.com