Singapore Expats Forum

Eastern European Languages

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Past&Present

Eastern European Languages

Postby Past&Present » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 9:10 am

Hi all, i'm looking for people who are fluent in slavic languages and conversant in eastern european culture. I've plans to move there and would like to get to know basic language terms that will break the initial cultural barrier.

So if you are someone originally from the region, please do pm me. Thanks.

Dado

Postby Dado » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:09 pm

Hello there,

positively surprised someone is interested in Eastern Europe. When it comes to the language, you don't need to worry about that, as long as you are friendly and like to "have few drinks here and there", you will enjoy the Kingdom of Slavs without saying a word.

l
Let me know if you want to know more

Past&Present

Eastern European Culture

Postby Past&Present » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:22 pm

Hey i'm guessing that Eastern Europe, although divided into different countries, have a homogenous mindset and culture. Yes, there are different ethnic groups but i suppose with the effect of urbanisation and nationalisation, a unique national/regional identity emerges from the gazillion ethnic groups that exist in Eastern Europe. Please correct me if I've said anything contrary.

Dado

Eastern European Culture

Postby Dado » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:01 am

You are right.

Well, Eastern Europe did lag behind, developed with comparative slowness if you look at Western Europe, but along with that came a very unique way of thinking. A very Slavic way of thinking. :D

Past&Present

Eastern European Culture

Postby Past&Present » Thu, 07 Feb 2008 9:52 am

So can you shed some light as to what Slavic Thinking is all about? Is there a staunch conservatism that one should expect one speaking to a Slav?

Having said that, so what distinguishes a Slav from say a Spainard? Well economic differences are something that the First and Second World like to touch on but I'm sure it, as always, goes beyond that superficial understanding of Slavic Culture.