Singapore Expats

True or Untrue: Singapore-Malaysian tension?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:However, surrounded as they are, they need a military just like anybody does. The vast majority of countries do (except Liechtenstein and a few others).
Tangential aside: while Liechtenstein indeed has no army, they do have a defense pact with Switzerland, who are armed to the teeth. (Assault rifle and boxes of ammo in every household, for example.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So, what are we talking about now. The general population (which is where tension should/would be) or about the criminal element? Does just seeing a Singapore registration plate cause the average citizen to go berserkers and run out, grab a parang and attack the vehicle. Does it cause the average Malaysian to follow the car and wait till it's empty in order to steal it? Doubtful.
We'll call it thread (a) tension and thread (b) crime, ok?

On thread (b), no it's not the average Malaysian that's the problem. It's organised crime. These are professional car thieves I'm talking about, that know the value of different cars, that can spot a vulnerable driver, that work in gangs to pull off a theft. I'm just saying, why be an easy target for these gangs when you can avoid being one? Malaysians are lovely people on the whole, but there are certainly criminal elements. Same is happening in Singapore - pickpockets who work in groups, bicycle thieves with get-away vehicles... It's all rather well-planned. When you are robbed it's not by some ordinary citizen on the street who suddenly takes a liking to your jewellery. Nope, there are experienced crooks around eyeing potential targets and there's no reason to blindly become their prey.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been going to Malaysia, working off and on in Malaysia for 25 years and have never had a problem.
Me too, and I like the place a lot, and have Malaysian friends that are dear to me. Still, just because I've never been murdered (much to the disappointment of some) doesn't mean murder doesn't happen. :P

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:23 pm

I'm admittedly the least knowledgeable about Malaysia and anything I know is second- and third-hand, and does not count for the actual experience you have

having said that, places like parts of Thailand or Cambodia are not so dissimilar in having less but you don't hear the same kinds of things about them as frequently
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Let's face it, if you go to a country or around people who have less than you do, you do so at your own peril. Let common sense prevail and you will be okay. I've been going to Malaysia, working off and on in Malaysia for 25 years and have never had a problem.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:33 pm

I hear two separate stories from separate sources about two gang rapes in as many weeks, is this to say they are done by organizations?

sorry, know how dense that may sound but not sure what is fact and what is propaganda here
Wind In My Hair wrote:no it's not the average Malaysian that's the problem. It's organised crime. These are professional car thieves I'm talking about
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 9:49 pm

EADG wrote:sorry, know how dense that may sound but not sure what is fact and what is propaganda here
Fact: there is crime.

Fact: there are individuals who work together to commit crime.

Fact: precautions reduce your chances of being a victim of these gangs.

I was just trying to answer your post and sharing some tips given to me by both Malaysians and Singaporeans. Ignore them if you wish. It's a personal choice how much one wants to guard against being a victim of crime. I take precautions everywhere, even in Singapore. Glad you had a good trip and returned safely, and so any further discussion is moot.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:16 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
On thread (b), no it's not the average Malaysian that's the problem. It's organised crime. These are professional car thieves I'm talking about, that know the value of different cars, that can spot a vulnerable driver, that work in gangs to pull off a theft. I'm just saying, why be an easy target for these gangs when you can avoid being one? Malaysians are lovely people on the whole, but there are certainly criminal elements. Same is happening in Singapore - pickpockets who work in groups, bicycle thieves with get-away vehicles... It's all rather well-planned. When you are robbed it's not by some ordinary citizen on the street who suddenly takes a liking to your jewellery. Nope, there are experienced crooks around eyeing potential targets and there's no reason to blindly become their prey.
This makes the most sense; the majority of people you meet in the world are just people like yourself. Thieves are often well practiced and know who is likely to be carrying something of value. In effect they use profiling but so do law enforcement officers who when they are around soon spot such individuals. Crime exists everywhere, you simply have to be wary, there is plenty of information and guidance if you look for it. Having traveled in several countries I have yet to come to any grief.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 9:54 am

EADG wrote: Scooby, are you from there?
I spent 5-yrs living and working in Malaysia before moving here a year ago. I still travel up to KL every month or two for a week so have seen Malaysia whilst driving a KL car and now a SG car. I get pulled over by the police no more than before and it just costs me the same, although this could be cause i still flash my KL license. :D

I was born and educated in the UK before leaving there more than 13-yrs ago for Asia. I would sooner live in Malaysia now, than back in the UK.... for many reasons.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:14 am

not sure what value stating the obvious brings to the conversation, but missed the point, which is not about 'tips'

those 'facts' may be necessary to overstate in Singapore, they are common knowledge to most westerners

the propaganda in the papers and news, about the frequency and severity, suggests that either Malaysia gets an unfair shake or is a wild, dangerous place

naturally this kind of crime exists in every country, some goes unreported, some gets sensationalized

rather than implicitly believing what is on TV or in the newspapers, to remain objective and balance that with what is heard outside of these mediums to differentiate between fact and gossip

dismissing it as moot does not make it so, Scooby's contribution was more tangible, and supports SMS's findings

have not heard from the opposing viewpoint
Wind In My Hair wrote:
EADG wrote:sorry, know how dense that may sound but not sure what is fact and what is propaganda here
Fact: there is crime.

Fact: there are individuals who work together to commit crime.

Fact: precautions reduce your chances of being a victim of these gangs.

I was just trying to answer your post and sharing some tips given to me by both Malaysians and Singaporeans. Ignore them if you wish. It's a personal choice how much one wants to guard against being a victim of crime. I
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape