Singapore Expats

looking for eye clinic / doctor

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
aw9657

looking for eye clinic / doctor

Post by aw9657 » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:26 pm

Can anyone recommend an eye clinic / doctor?

I have found links to quite a few eye clinics online, and would like to know if anybody has had especially good or bad experiences...

This is NOT for Lasik.

Thanks

princessli
Chatter
Chatter

Post by princessli » Sat, 02 Feb 2008 2:44 am

you can try going to Tan tock seng Eye Dept Dr Yip Leonard, he is pretty thorough

heard a forumer complain about snec

aw9657

Post by aw9657 » Sun, 03 Feb 2008 8:20 pm

Thank you princessli,

This is one clinic I did not come across when I did my search online!

princessli
Chatter
Chatter

Post by princessli » Sun, 03 Feb 2008 8:46 pm

No prob, our eyes are very important. All the best to you.

andeeng

Re: looking for eye clinic / doctor

Post by andeeng » Fri, 08 Jul 2022 2:34 pm

Dr Steve Seah for cataract and glaucoma issues, but he also offers LASIK.

upscalevalley

Post by upscalevalley » Mon, 29 Aug 2022 8:47 pm

Hello all. I have an eye issue and I usually get irritated with the optical instruments most of the clinics in Singapore use. Can anyone direct me to a better clinic or doctor? I will be very thankful. :)

felicityyyy90

Post by felicityyyy90 » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 3:38 pm

Dr Leo Seo Wei is good. Also good with kids

haohao

Post by haohao » Tue, 24 Jan 2023 3:39 pm

Leo Seo Wei is good ophth for families. She's great with kids

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 Jan 2023 2:55 pm

I like Apple Eye Centre. They have some good opthamologists.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 25 Jan 2023 3:29 pm

One important thing to note for expats coming from North America - - you do not need a prescription to get corrective lenses here. You can just rock up and tell them what your degree is, and they will hand it over!

Also, practically every shop selling glasses here will check your eyes for free. This is night & day different (in a positive way) compared to how it works in the good ‘ole USA.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Jan 2023 3:25 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 25 Jan 2023 2:55 pm
I like Apple Eye Centre. They have some good opthamologists.
Agree! Took the MIL there to check on her cataracts a while back, people were lovely.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 Jan 2023 3:27 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 25 Jan 2023 3:29 pm
One important thing to note for expats coming from North America - - you do not need a prescription to get corrective lenses here. You can just rock up and tell them what your degree is, and they will hand it over!

Also, practically every shop selling glasses here will check your eyes for free. This is night & day different (in a positive way) compared to how it works in the good ‘ole USA.
Yes! And prices are so much more affordable here. In the US, I go to for eyes. Most of their frames are designer and very expensive, but I don't believe they're worth the price.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:28 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 Jan 2023 3:27 am
malcontent wrote:

Yes! And prices are so much more affordable here. In the US, I go to for eyes. Most of their frames are designer and very expensive, but I don't believe they're worth the price.
Agree, it’s been a very long time since I bought any corrective lenses in the US. You have to look out for promotions where they include a free eye exam if you purchase lenses from them. Once I started working in the US my employer provided eye care benefits — that is the only silver lining, if you have a good employer.

In Singapore most employers do not cover eye care or dental. When this came up at our employee benefits review, I remarked to our HR team: blind and toothless also can!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:28 am
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

Agree, it’s been a very long time since I bought any corrective lenses in the US. You have to look out for promotions where they include a free eye exam if you purchase lenses from them. Once I started working in the US my employer provided eye care benefits — that is the only silver lining, if you have a good employer.

In Singapore most employers do not cover eye care or dental. When this came up at our employee benefits review, I remarked to our HR team: blind and toothless also can!
The positive of group benefits/insurance is that they can negotiate a better rate than the out of network/walk in price. Looked at one time, in isolation, this seems great.

The negative is that group insurance does little to control long-run costs. Insurance providers simply charge expected cost to the pool (plus some admin/processing fee); they don't care whether costs go up or down. Further, when everyone is "insured," there tends to be an overuse of the good/service. Since no one is paying out of pocket, everyone thinks it is free (or discounted, i.e. I got a $1,000 treatment for $100 copay). But when everyone behaves that way, it just drives up costs or industry lobbies for rules like you must get a new prescription every year. In the end, insurance costs to employers are compensation to employees. If collectively healthcare costs were cut and employees got more cash, would that be bad?

At its core, insurance is meant to protect against losses from which one would find it hard to recover. I.e. if your house burns down that will be a major financial loss for most. But no need to insure the door knob on your wardrobe.

Looked at that way, there's little reason to insure (or have company cover/provide benefits or insurance) relatively small expenses like routine dental/vision. Major dental/vision issues and procedures/surgeries would be a different issue. Kind of like whether you insure an oil change for your car vs. theft/collision total loss (and one may not insure this if the car isn't worth much).

Alternatively, I think a lot of companies here have flex dollars that can be used for whatever service one needs most. No preferential rate or benefit, just reimbursement for out of pocket expenses that fit the guidelines.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:49 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Thu, 26 Jan 2023 12:22 pm
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:28 am
Lisafuller wrote:

The positive of group benefits/insurance is that they can negotiate a better rate than the out of network/walk in price. Looked at one time, in isolation, this seems great.

The negative is that group insurance does little to control long-run costs. Insurance providers simply charge expected cost to the pool (plus some admin/processing fee); they don't care whether costs go up or down. Further, when everyone is "insured," there tends to be an overuse of the good/service. Since no one is paying out of pocket, everyone thinks it is free (or discounted, i.e. I got a $1,000 treatment for $100 copay). But when everyone behaves that way, it just drives up costs or industry lobbies for rules like you must get a new prescription every year. In the end, insurance costs to employers are compensation to employees. If collectively healthcare costs were cut and employees got more cash, would that be bad?

At its core, insurance is meant to protect against losses from which one would find it hard to recover. I.e. if your house burns down that will be a major financial loss for most. But no need to insure the door knob on your wardrobe.

Looked at that way, there's little reason to insure (or have company cover/provide benefits or insurance) relatively small expenses like routine dental/vision. Major dental/vision issues and procedures/surgeries would be a different issue. Kind of like whether you insure an oil change for your car vs. theft/collision total loss (and one may not insure this if the car isn't worth much).

Alternatively, I think a lot of companies here have flex dollars that can be used for whatever service one needs most. No preferential rate or benefit, just reimbursement for out of pocket expenses that fit the guidelines.
I agree with your sentiments with regard to insurance. It should be a safety net in situations where “self-insure” option is not possible or practical for most people. The biggest problem with this in the Singapore context is that insurance companies are more concerned with protecting themselves than protecting the insured. In the US the insurance companies typically have a MOOP = maximum out of pocket, where anything above that is paid for by insurance, so you can be sure you’ll never pay more than the MOOP. Here it seems to be just the opposite, the insurance companies have their MOOP where they won’t pay anything over a certain dollar limit. For my employer’s medical cover, it is quite pathetic at just $40k, so if anything crazy happens and we get a six figure medical bill… we are on our own.

My contingency plan is to move back to the US and get on Obamacare (if there is enough time) should something happen that requires too many dollars. The problem is, sometimes there isn’t time… and I guess bankruptcy is the only option?