Singapore Expats Forum

Cheers- what's with that ??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Cheers- what's with that ??

Postby ozchick » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 8:48 pm

What's with the over-use of this word ? Even the locals are saying it ! This was a word that was said when proposing a toast or celebrating an event with a drink . Now it seems to be used for 'thank you', 'goodbye', enjoy your meal' and all nature of other unrelated speech. This word is really getting on my goat ! And if any of you buggars respond with a post that ends with 'cheers' - I pre-empt it and will NOT take the bait ! God I hate that useless word ! Grrrrrrr !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 9:27 pm

I know what you mean another couple of annoyances I find are; 'at this point in time' which just sounds daft or worse ' your in a catch 22 situation' which to me is a cop-out for some dumbass too thick lazy and ignorant to either comprehend or deal with an issue. :x
Last edited by Plavt on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 9:35 pm

cheers plavt :P

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 9:59 pm

so is ozchick now starting to rant about Singapore.

With your list of how much you love this place etc etc, you are now settling down to the realities here and are now starting to complain!

Maybe you need to adjust your list! :cool:
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:04 pm

Plavt wrote: ' your in a catch 22 situation' which to me a cop-out for some dumbass too thick lazy and ignorant to either comprehend or deal with an issue. :x

I don't get it... what if someone really is in a Catch-22 situation? How is that lazy and ignorant? Ar you denying this possibility exists? Somewhere Joseph Heller is spinning in his grave.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:26 pm

road.not.taken wrote:I don't get it... what if someone really is in a Catch-22 situation? How is that lazy and ignorant? Ar you denying this possibility exists?

Trust you to be a 'cold-fish' :P . Perhaps if you had used your imagination you would have realized that some people just don't want to know about the plight of another and will use that expression to avoid doing anything to help, in other words dismiss the issue.

Catch 22 by dictionary definition means unresolvable which some of course are but many situations can be resolved with some effort from certain persons, I am sure you have heard of politics. :o

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:56 pm

Gosh Ozchick, you sure are uncheerful today!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 5:55 am

Plavt wrote:Perhaps if you had used your imagination you would have realized that some people just don't want to know about the plight of another and will use that expression to avoid doing anything to help, in other words dismiss the issue.

My imagination works just fine thanks. It would seem yours is the one that is stymied since you can't imagine a real Catch-22 situation? Perhaps you never read Sophie's Choice? :wink:

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 7:42 am

road.not.taken wrote: It would seem yours is the one that is stymied since you can't imagine a real Catch-22 situation?

I don't have to imagine a real catch22 situation if you don't understand what I am saying that is your problem. By the way I did not say somebody in a catch22 situation was lazy, ignorant or anything else. I was referring to it as a statement that some like to use avoid taking responsibility which incidently ozchick understood straight away!
Last edited by Plavt on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:16 am

At this point in time I think best to leave this discussion since it is clearly a Catch-22. Cheers Plavt :)

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 9:35 am

is that some sort of record??

we went from ozchicks irritating use of the word 'cheers' , to sophie's choice in 8 posts. with a bit of catfighting inbetween.

and to think i turned on t'internet to get away from my kids bickering.

:D

Inapastlife

Postby Inapastlife » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:34 am

sounds like ozchick might need a drink

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 1:14 pm

road.not.taken wrote:At this point in time I think best to leave this discussion since it is clearly a Catch-22. Cheers Plavt :)

I'm in love with this woman!

As for 'Cheers' being mis-used. Ozchick - checkout the meaning of the word. It is meant to convey happiness to someone - - - unless you're a total lush and only associate this with drinking.

I end all my e-mails with 'cheers' . . . is that a problem?

Plavt is old enough to know the origins of this word from medieval England, ask him. At this point in time that might not be a good thing to do, however.

Anyways, I personally . . .

Ugh, I could go on!

'nuff said Image

zjules
Regular
Regular

Postby zjules » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 2:06 pm

Id rather hear Cheers, than irregardless!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 2:20 pm

Vaucluse,

And that, my friend, is twice as much as you usually say! :P

God to see you around occasionally.

Return to “General Discussions”