Singapore Expats Forum

Apology to aborigines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 23 Feb 2008 8:59 am

Am entitled to my opinions and you to yours.

Don't think there is anything that I have said that is not based on how I feel on the situation. I may try and stir things up because thats healthy for debate.

Besides haven't had drink in nearly 3 months now (maybe thats the problem :cool: )
Be Like Water

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:51 pm

omg - ozchick, did you actually read a paper before your original post?

and what's so bad about a current generation acknowledging a 'wrong' of a previous generation. there is no compensation offered and rudd indicated the current generation will not be held responsible.

plus, it was a speech that most people sat glued to on the tube. It was long overdue, and there was a sense of pride about it on the street and lets move forward together as a nation aboriginal and non aboriginal. For the majority involved they just wanted recognition that their childhood was affected immensely by the actions of the government of the time.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, i'm just so glad yours is not the majority, otherwise we would continue to look at fumbling little johnny in his green trackies. democracy in action....phew.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:49 pm

mules wrote: there is no compensation offered and rudd indicated the current generation will not be held responsible.

Oh buggar ! Why don't I just admit that I don't read enough newspapers ?!
(Dear Lord, save me from eejits and donkeys and others with the odd northern manner.)
:-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 29 Feb 2008 9:38 am

There may have been no compensation offered, but at last count about 40 people have brought cases before the courts and it is not the past generations or the past governments that will pay, but this one.

A difficult situation. :?
- Thank God for Darwin -

billturk1

Postby billturk1 » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 4:00 pm

rich

you are correct and hit the nail on the head with your closing statement

Before flaming me please consider the difference between acknowledging something done in the past was wrong and making an apology

Why in heck should someone 100 or 200 years later apoligize for others actions in the past???

In America the blacks are demanding apoligies and money in court for the
slavery issue prior to 1865.
OF COURSE ITS WRONG, but I or other taxpayers living in 2008 are not responsible. Your statement Acknowledging something is wrong is correct
but to pay out millions in 2008 to people whos only relationship or qualification to the money is that they can hire a good shyster lawyer.

this issue is a no brainer, but of course some doo gooders who have to have something to complain about must say a apoligy is necessary.

this should stir their blood.
cheers
billturk1