Singapore Expats Forum

Apology to aborigines

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 1:32 am

No flame here mate, you have to look through the smoke to see the fire, right!

Typical of politicians!

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 2:33 am

What a pity, I had put my asbestos underwear on and everything.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 9:21 am

I though asbestos was banned along with DDT now? How did you manage to keep a pair of them?

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I though asbestos was banned along with DDT now? How did you manage to keep a pair of them?

As usual, the posts here always make me smile. :) Something serious, then something light-hearted. :D

Back from overseas,
A_G
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 1:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I though asbestos was banned along with DDT now? How did you manage to keep a pair of them?

I was lying for comic effect but it unwittingly demonstrates my point by analogy. At the time they were first used both products were considered to be the correct solutions. It was only later that the drawbacks were discovered and they were withdrawn. So it can also be considered in a social context too. N'est-ce pas?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Rosh

Re: Apology to aborigines

Postby Rosh » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 4:04 pm

ozchick wrote:Sigh...have just heard the news that the new Australian government is going to officially apologise to the 'stolen generation of aborigines' in Feb.
Mm..looks like I'd better stay in Sg for a few years. My Oz salary would never cope with the taxes that we'll cop to bolster the government coffers when the 'compensation cases' begin. Pity they couldn't have just let things alone. IF the 'injured parties' do take legal action, then our dark brothers are going to be further alinated than they already are. Ho hum.....what price peace I s'pose..... :-|

If you are one of them who don't believe in giving a fair go for your "dark brothers" I suppose it is a good idea to settle down in an East Asian country. You may feel more at home than in an enlightened Australia. Good Luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:06 pm

Hey Rosh,

I notice both of you last two posts dwell on the same thing. You wouldn't by chance have a chip on your shoulder would you? :roll:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:38 pm

Rosh wrote:
If you are one of 1.them who don't believe in giving a fair go 2.for your "dark brothers" I suppose it is a good idea to settle down in an East Asian country. You may feel more at home than in an enlightened Australia. Good Luck!

Little corrections needed here. Hope you don't mind. 1. Try those and 2. Try to

Rosh, I agree with your 'tongue in cheek' comment about an enlightened Australia. Singapore really does take the cake when it comes to excellence- in so many aspects of life here ! Oz has a long way to go, unfortunately.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:43 pm

ozchick wrote:Singapore really does take the cake when it comes to excellence- in so many aspects of life here !

Uh oh, take cover ! 8-[

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 8:56 am

Has Ozchick changed so much from her previous postings? :D What has happened to you, girl?
- Thank God for Darwin -

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 9:04 am

Apologize and be done with it.

The country needs to move on and stop focusing on somethign that occured centuries ago and had echoes right through to the mid of 20th century. Healing is only possible when we let go.

If an apology will allow the aborignal people to move on then give it.
Be Like Water

reds

Postby reds » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:05 pm

well said Bafana! =D>

An apology is the superglue of life. it can repair just about anything.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 11 Feb 2008 5:25 pm

I hate talking politics, but.. . ..when I was in OZ last week, I was given the impression from several 'news' shows that the majority was some dough to go with the apology.
Seems to make it easier to swallow. Gulp.
I have trouble understanding me saying sorry today for something that happened 40-50 years ago when I wasn't even alive. Let me get my can opener....

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:17 am

Well it's happened, check out

http://blogs.triplem.com.au/triplem/arc ... ology.html

for the apology and comments on it.

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:59 pm

Bafana - centuries ago??? Numbskull. Please tell me you arent australian. We are talking about something that happened less than 40 years ago. Adults today are living with the painful reality of what happened to them, and their parents. I'm sure it is fresh within the memories of many Aboriginals. It wasnt even until the 60's that the government in its wisdom deigned to include indigenous people in the census. And they were so nervous about making such a decision, they had to conduct a referendum! Prior to the referendum aboriginals were considered part of the "flaura and fauna" of Australia. An animal, if you like.

Matney, I dont know how often the current government has said it, but they are planning to apologise on behalf of past governments. not the australian people. There is a big difference. Forget the can of worms, try opening a paper.

sheesh :roll: