Singapore Expats Forum

What constitutes a wind up?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

The Sun*

What constitutes a wind up?

Postby The Sun* » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 6:26 pm

I hardly surf forums nowadays because of lack of time. But I would appreciate it if a forumer can define/ explain to me "What is a wind up?" I am always puzzled by this term.

Thank you very much and God bless.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 8:38 pm

The short answer is that it is generally a post that is guaranteed to get a response from people (agitated responses) Sometimes it can be real but most of the time it is a fabricated story that is "over the top" thereby generation emotional responses. This could be racism, male-female relationship, pet abuse, most anything that will provoke......

The angry board is great for it's Friday Wind-ups. It's almost a must over there. Course you already know this. :wink:

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 8:40 pm

wind up - to tease, to perform a prank. e.g. "You must have seen from a mile away it was a wind up ?".

Whenever I get lost with "Brit talk" I check out this website:

http://www.londonslang.com
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

The Sun*

Postby The Sun* » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 9:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The short answer is that it is generally a post that is guaranteed to get a response from people (agitated responses) Sometimes it can be real but most of the time it is a fabricated story that is "over the top" thereby generation emotional responses. This could be racism, male-female relationship, pet abuse, most anything that will provoke......

The angry board is great for it's Friday Wind-ups. It's almost a must over there. Course you already know this. :wink:

Thank you sms and Barczar for taking the time off to enlighten me. I had already mellowed much and have not the time nor the inclination for posting contentious issues like say.....1 year ago.

Thanks again guys and God bless.

# Now I am more into internet chess @ the Yahoo Chess site.

Regards

Return to “General Discussions”