Singapore Expats Forum

US Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:10 am

Bafana wrote:Looking at the pro Republican news coverage on Obama and Clinton they would prefer a Clinton win and keep hoping for it.

As for Nadar he has a right to run so he may do as he will.

Nadar will cause the Dem's to lose just as he did with Gore.

The word on the street in the US is that the GOP are advising their voters to cross sides and vote for Hillary in order to having a fight on their hands with Obama. Makes sense but whether fair or not? Obama is the only one with a chance of beating McCain. Whether he can or not is another thing.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 7:47 pm

Nader is secretly in the pay of the GOP, its obvious.

And given that the US is a continent sized nation I can understand why they dont always look outside their borders, so much going on in

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Strangely, Americans tend to vote on bread & butter issues and domestic problems first. Their foreign policy views are completely absent, as they don't have a clue where any country is outside of Cuba, Canada & Mexico. Insular? not really. It's just most aren't interested as it doesn't affect the directly.

I'm sometimes a bit relieved that it is like that. God forbid we should kowtow to foreign opinions. Most foreign opinions are also coloured to what THEY would like to see in somebody else's country, not caring how it may impact the citizens of that country.

You know, kinda like locals here react to us telling them that they shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that. Outsiders always seem to think they know best.

I'm am curious though, is it the GOP you don't like, or GWB? Both Parties are the same frankly, and with the ability to not have to vote the party line (unlike here), it's possible for either party to gets things done even when an opposition party is in power per se.

I tend to not agree in this instance as I wonder if Obama may be too inexperienced and like lots of Americans, I also do no like Hillary. Hillary will hurt the local American citizen with increased taxes and give the damned illegal immigrants more and more rights instead of deporting them, which is bloody stupid.

Yes, we know McCain is pro-military but there is always the house & senate to keep him in check should it be necessary. Of the three, he's only one who really has the background & experience to do the job.

I would like to know what Obama is really capable of doing though..

Any woman who would publicly be cuckolded by her husband while he holds the highest office in the land, and doesn't leave him immediately is not gonna ever get my vote, because it shows she will do anything and say anything to further her power chase. I don't trust her as far as I could throw her.

I believe there are lot's just like me back home as well. If Obama wins the Dem nomination, it will be a fight. If Hillary wins the nomination, McCain will be the next pres.

SMS, I do not like the GOP particularly and definitely am of the opinion that Bush with his arrogance and ignorance has done irreparable damage to the US, a view, of course, I don't share alone.

Whilst you say and I quote ["with the ability to not have to vote the party line (unlike here), it's possible for either party to gets things done even when an opposition party is in power per se."] I don't agree entirely with you on this.

McCain will run the same mandate as Bush on the war issue and has gone on record to say this. He is not for universal healthcare and given the stats and shocking costs of hospitalisation in the US, this means many Americans will be denied healthcare in their own country, a sad fact and a bitter pill to swallow for many when you consider this is a first world nation, a global superpower and one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

I also don't respect a government that has to resort to scare tactics and fear mongering to instigate loyalty and patriotism whenever the popularity polls take a dive.

I don't like their very conservative outlook and pro Evangelical Christian values stance (smacks of hypocrisy) when you consider how many have come out of the closet and the archaic views still upheld by many Republicans on matters governing a woman's body and her right to choose what's best for her.

As for Americans not really caring about foreign policies, what can I say except that maybe it's time they started instead of burying their heads in the sand. If taxpayers money is going toward funding a war that most never wanted in the first place, (next month marks 5 years of this neverending war) and a huge defence budget that runs to billions of dollars and then some, contributes to a triggering recession, the US$ declining in value, defaulted mortgages, rising oil prices, money spent on the war which could have been channelled into education, infrastructure, healthcare, not to mention thousands of innocent lives lost, then it's hightime Americans started to pay attention. Read this.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003403735

If the US's foreign policies may have directly or indirectly contributed to terrorism attacks as many speculate and the Republican government's response to counterterrorism as usual is a kneejerk one which constitutes illegal wiretapping across the board, then it's also time they started paying attention.

Quote: [ GOP lawmakers have been releasing a blizzard of public statements and organizing multiple news conferences to pressure the House to adopt a Senate bill renewing and expanding a temporary surveillance law called the Protect America Act. The measure would grant legal immunity to telecommunications companies over their cooperation in warrantless wiretapping done after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.]

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/2 ... 88885.html

It is in every American's interest to know that they have the power to change things to a certain extent by voting for the right candidate whose stand on policies, both domestic and foreign will impact their lives whether they realise it or not. A candidate who'll do the right thing by the people and for the people even if it means voting for a woman or a black man. (hard to fathom that this is even an issue in this day and age in the liberated United States of America )

PS. S2B has posted an excellent link on the other board. :wink:
One man's meat is another's poison.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 7:33 pm

Hillary won Ohio & Texas :o but not Vermont :D

I guess the majority of delegates still favor Obama by a small margin? Incredibly tight race.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:50 pm

It looks more and more like the Dem's are going to self destruct in a proxy battle in the smoky back rooms of the national convention. Every time this has happened the Dem's have lost the election. I almost wonder if the GOP put Nadar up to running again so to cause further disarray in their ranks.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 2:12 am

Any person who quotes the Huffington Post is a Kool-Aid drinker.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 9:23 am

I tend to ignore things from links like that anyway. They always have a agenda of their own.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 9:00 pm

RULDS wrote:Any person who quotes the Huffington Post is a Kool-Aid drinker.

Any person who makes a judgement after a grand total of three posts here is rather presumptuous.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 6:16 pm

Anybody else reading/read Obama's book "Audacity of Hope"?

He makes a lot of sense and seems to be honest.

McCain is looking real old now.

BTW which is the best news channel here in Singapore to watch the race on?

Fox have very good political debates but appear very pro Rep.
Be Like Water

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 8:55 pm

Bafana wrote:Fox have very good political debates but appear very pro Rep.

'Appear'? :lol: You are as naive as Superglide is arrogant. :lol:
- Thank God for Darwin -

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:46 pm

:o

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:05 am

In the nicest possible way, of course. :oops:
- Thank God for Darwin -

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 10 Mar 2008 9:52 am

The question was made cause I don''t think they are being very balanced... :cool:
Be Like Water

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 11 Mar 2008 9:39 am

Fox is the mouthpiece of the right wing of the GoP, nothing new there, I think
- Thank God for Darwin -

gobama08

Obama Supporters in Singapore-Event this Friday! April 4th

Postby gobama08 » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 11:48 am

Hello Folks:

As announced during the Democrats Abroad Meeting last weekend and by email last week we are having another Obama supporter gathering in Singapore. Suggested donation for the event is US$65.00 and you can make your donation through the "thermometer" link immediately to the right of this post. http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/Si ... Supporters.

The event will be held at the Screening Room. Many thanks to Mabood Mahoob for generously providing the venue. Soft drinks will be served and there will be a cash bar.

We are trying to hit our US$5,000 fundraising goal for the Singapore Obama Supporters page. There is a loyal group of Obama contributers in Singapore and we want the campaign to remember Singapore during the general election campaign. In Singapore we now have an active Democrats Abroad chapter up and running and an engaged American expat community that is solidly behind Obama. It is time for us to get together and get ready for the upcoming general election!

Email me at bbrown@qam.com.sg [Pls don't post your phone number, Mod, Baf] to make sure you get an official invitation with a map to the venue. Official invitations will start going out tommorrow morning.

Venue:

www.screeningroom.com.sg

Doors Open at 7:00pm April 4th.

Thanks

Benjamin Brown

my.barackobama.com/page/group/SingaporeObamaSupporters

[BTW if Hilary supporter I already delete this email as advertising :cool: , Mod, Baf ]