Singapore Expats Forum

US Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 8:31 am

Forks wrote:The thin veil of politics is ripped aside in favor of the real issue.

Yes indeed! Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream co-founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield have announced they have a created a new flavor to endorse Obama: Cherries for Change. May God bless them and keep them.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Wed, 20 Feb 2008 8:36 am

road.not.taken wrote:
Forks wrote:The thin veil of politics is ripped aside in favor of the real issue.

Yes indeed! Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream co-founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield have announced they have a created a new flavor to endorse Obama: Cherries for Change. May God bless them and keep them.

Ice cream and sex, far more fun than politricks. :D

rihhana_taylor

Postby rihhana_taylor » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 3:06 am

Barack Obama made it 10 in a row by winning the Wisconsin primary and Hawaii caucus. He is ahead in momentum and delegates, but as Yogi Berra once famously pointed out, it ain't over til it's over. If Hillary Clinton can pull off big victories in Ohio and Texas on March 4 (and maybe little victories in Vermont and Rhode Island), she can blunt his momentum and get back even. If Obama wins Ohio and Texas, Clinton is basically finished. Thus in contrast to what everyone expected at the start of the campaign, superduper Tuesday on Feb. 5 didn't determine the winner. It will be later events.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 8:13 am

Clinton is doomed, Id put $$$ on it, the question now is can Obama beat McCain or whoever the republicans can wheel out.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 21 Feb 2008 7:35 pm

Am hoping for Obama but scared these caniving Clintons will pull some crap since they know they are going down.

Is it just me or is Bill now just a Dirty Old Man instead of being a Playboy President?

Besides would you trust a president who stayed with their spouise after having themselves and their family publically slammed from pillar to post because said sposue could'nt stop monkeying around with others?

That alone should cross her off as not having a clue.
Be Like Water

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:22 am

Whatever happens, whoever you like -- the Democratic debate is a beautiful thing. I just love seeing a black Christian with an Islamic name, and a woman debating intelligently and respectfully. We've come a long way as a nation. Whether they can do a fraction of what they want to do is another story -- but the fact that those two people are vying for a nomination to be President of the United States is a very good thing. I'd love to see Obama in there, I think he's the perfect face for America after the old white men of the last administration. Hillary isn't so bad in my opinion but my heart says: GOBAMA!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Feb 2008 2:55 pm

road.not.taken,

I have to agree with your analysis, especially how far we have come (especially in the democratic party). I mean we have a GOP that is in tatters after the current administration. But on the Dem side there is not a traditional candidate left standing. Rather strange I must say. I will also agree that of the two, Obama is probably the better choice. (To much baggage with the Billary machine).

Whether or not Obama can beat McCain is another question. I feel that he can but I also feel that if somehow the Billary machine does manage to win the Dems will lose the election to McCain.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 22 Feb 2008 3:52 pm

My home is in a Blue state and expats are notoriously anti-Bush (probably because we feel the brunt of his bad foreign policy more than people back home) so it's easy to feel like the majority supports Obama or Hillary. But I'm afraid to say I think McCain will win too, whether it's against Hillary or Obama.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 22 Feb 2008 5:26 pm

This McCain story is just a ruse to take the heat of Bilary so they can back stab their way back into the race.

Come the revolution brothers...

BTW reading Obama's book - The Adacity of Hope.

From what I am reading he does'nt sound like he has much time for the republicans or the established dems which in my books may be a good thing or the New York times for that matter (even though both his books make said papers Best Sellers list).
Be Like Water

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:06 pm

Obama vrs McCain

Obama will walk all over McCain, McCain isnt even acceptable to half the Republican base.

In a weird way this reminds me of the McGovern vrs Nixon race in 72, minus the Nixon of course.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 8:59 am

Supoer Dooper Teusday 2 is on the way (BTW where do they get these names from???)

Whose the money on to walk away with the Dem nomination?
Be Like Water

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 9:27 am

McCain is leaning more and more to the right of his party now to garner the support he needs, and he will win the next election, Obama is a lightweight and Hillary is too disliked, even hated, by too many in her own party. :(

US politics is about the person, not the party (that's why McCain is not being lambasted by the woes of the Bush regime) or platforms as such and now with Ralph Nader joining the race again. well, he ruined the chances in 2000 and he is doing it again. I cannot understand why he would do such a thing
- Thank God for Darwin -

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 11:07 am

cutiebutie wrote:McCain is leaning more and more to the right of his party now to garner the support he needs, and he will win the next election,

Cutie, I hope to God you're wrong on this. Let's hope the Americans come to their senses with this election.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:51 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:McCain is leaning more and more to the right of his party now to garner the support he needs, and he will win the next election,

Cutie, I hope to God you're wrong on this. Let's hope the Americans come to their senses with this election.

Strangely, Americans tend to vote on bread & butter issues and domestic problems first. Their foreign policy views are completely absent, as they don't have a clue where any country is outside of Cuba, Canada & Mexico. Insular? not really. It's just most aren't interested as it doesn't affect the directly.

I'm sometimes a bit relieved that it is like that. God forbid we should kowtow to foreign opinions. Most foreign opinions are also coloured to what THEY would like to see in somebody else's country, not caring how it may impact the citizens of that country.

You know, kinda like locals here react to us telling them that they shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that. Outsiders always seem to think they know best.

I'm am curious though, is it the GOP you don't like, or GWB? Both Parties are the same frankly, and with the ability to not have to vote the party line (unlike here), it's possible for either party to gets things done even when an opposition party is in power per se.

I tend to not agree in this instance as I wonder if Obama may be too inexperienced and like lots of Americans, I also do no like Hillary. Hillary will hurt the local American citizen with increased taxes and give the damned illegal immigrants more and more rights instead of deporting them, which is bloody stupid.

Yes, we know McCain is pro-military but there is always the house & senate to keep him in check should it be necessary. Of the three, he's only one who really has the background & experience to do the job.

I would like to know what Obama is really capable of doing though..

Any woman who would publicly be cuckolded by her husband while he holds the highest office in the land, and doesn't leave him immediately is not gonna ever get my vote, because it shows she will do anything and say anything to further her power chase. I don't trust her as far as I could throw her.

I believe there are lot's just like me back home as well. If Obama wins the Dem nomination, it will be a fight. If Hillary wins the nomination, McCain will be the next pres.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 8:46 am

Global Citizen wrote:

Totally agree with you. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

OK if Clinton gets the nomination then McCain would be better for the planet but surely Obama has got a chance. Looking at the pro Republican news coverage on Obama and Clinton they would prefer a Clinton win and keep hoping for it.

As for Nadar he has a right to run so he may do as he will.
Be Like Water