Singapore Expats Forum

US Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 4:42 pm

Well, they are headed into electronic diebold terrritory.

Where there are no paper ballots. Only an electronic touch screen display. A virus can rewrite the count and then delete itself and there will be no paper trail for a recount.

Looks like all the protests so far have not made a difference.

Now I'm just waiting for the riots.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 6:22 pm

phil30k wrote:Well, they are headed into electronic diebold terrritory.

Where there are no paper ballots. Only an electronic touch screen display. A virus can rewrite the count and then delete itself and there will be no paper trail for a recount.

Looks like all the protests so far have not made a difference.

Now I'm just waiting for the riots.

You sound just like my 81 year old mother. Chevez did it! Right?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:54 pm

phil30k wrote:Well, they are headed into electronic diebold terrritory.

i dont like the sound of that!!! (and better not be running microsoft wndows OS!)

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 9:43 am

Am think Obama would be good...

Don;t like Hilary as she is running as a strong female candidate but still needs her husband (hypocritical lah).

The Rep guys are a good laugh but McCain would be scarey choice.
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:05 am

Bafana wrote:The Rep guys are a good laugh but McCain would be scarey choice.

He's what we call a Democrat in Republican clothing! Really scary!

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:23 am

It looks like Obama has the black vote.

It think that black Americans just want to see a black president and it doesn't matter what he stands for. It may simply be for the symbolism.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 1:00 pm

phil30k wrote:It looks like Obama has the black vote.

It think that black Americans just want to see a black president and it doesn't matter what he stands for. It may simply be for the symbolism.

I don't agree. Hillary had the black vote and it has been hard work for Obama to convince them to move (Billy was known as the first white black president) Although JFK courted them in his day as well. It is hard for someone like Obama to overcome stereotypes and unfortunately, the stereotype works against him even within the black community at large. You have to remember the types of black candidates that we have had in the past to understand what I mean. Which would be stronger, the pull of the black vote or the pull of the women's vote (51% of the population). I think that Americans are ready for change just like they were when they elected JFK.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 8:54 am

So, heading into Super Tuesday with two candidates for either party now that Edwards and Giuliani have dropped out. I think Edwards will be back. I can't say the same for Giuliani, his star was at its apex in the wake of September 11th and all he did for the people and city of New York, but now too much 'ugly underbelly' has been revealed in his personal life.

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Postby GordonGekko » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 5:49 am

Bafana and all you others,

Of course we're interested to see how things unfold. My bet is McCain vs. Obama - and McCain wins. :o
You do what you are.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 7:21 am

I find the US elections sorta like the olympics, they come every 4 years and there are all these exciting "events" to watch.

Unfortunately with all the irregularities in voting over the last decade in the US its hard to see how any candidate could win without selling out, or giving in to political interests or being either chewed up or ignored in the media machine, or how its has become such a focus on personality, which might have been better when the US was doing better but as it starts to slip it all looks like fiddling while Rome burns.

If asked to say who I wanted to win Id say Obama, not coz I think he will be particularly any better, but that it would make a nice change to have a black man in the white house and electing Hillary would make political dynasties legitimate (imagine Chelsie Clinton running against Jena Bush in 20 years time) so Id go for him. Unfortunately its hard to imagine him winning without some "lone gunman" putting a bullet in his brain.

Odds are with all the computerized voting fraud, judicial voting fraud, dirty tricks, back room deals, corporate interests, slush funds, PACs, PNAC and all the rest the US will get exactly what it deserves...war, recession and GW for another term under "emergency powers".

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 9:55 am

GordonGekko wrote:Bafana and all you others,

Of course we're interested to see how things unfold. My bet is McCain vs. Obama - and McCain wins. :o

Sama sama except Obama wins :cool:
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:41 am

Baf, That would be my guess as well. The backlash against the Billary Machine and the fact that Hillary is constantly trying to be everything to everybody has her now looking like somebody with absolutely nothing of her own will be her own demise.

People are scared of McCain. And, just like JFK, America is ready for a change (course we don't know if there would actually be a change or not. It may well be the best campaign ploy since JFK who basically used it as well.

The GOP would obviously like to see Billary win the Dem nomination as they (and I) don't think she has a chance in Hell of winning. (Also they have so much background to destroy her with) The GOP is scared of Obama though because he is running on a ticket that has nothing to counter against.

I personally still haven't made up my mind but figure I've got until November to do so, so am keeping my options open!.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:44 am

road.not.taken wrote:So, heading into Super Tuesday with two candidates for either party now that Edwards and Giuliani have dropped out. I think Edwards will be back. I can't say the same for Giuliani, his star was at its apex in the wake of September 11th and all he did for the people and city of New York, but now too much 'ugly underbelly' has been revealed in his personal life.

You have been watching too much West Wing Season 6. :lol:
I very much doubt Edwards will be back, though I am slowly coming to the conclusion that he would be my preferred candidate - but then I am of course not eligible to vote, rather can only voice my opinion.

In the end the forces that be will choose Hillary over Obama, the Democratic Party machine will do the numbers and realise that a mixed-race presidential candidate will turn off too many voters, even in this 'easy' race to beat the Republicans.

McCain it will be, versus Hillary.
- Thank God for Darwin -

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 05 Feb 2008 7:36 pm

GO Obama Go!

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 3:22 pm

I just don't understand how Hillary can win so many primaries when I have yet to meet ONE person who said they liked her. :roll: