Singapore Expats Forum

US Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:23 pm

Well, with 333 electoral votes, Obama has it in the bag. Guess now we'll be watching his party start to backpedal on all the silly promises he's made that were totally BS (probably the majority). :roll:

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, with 333 electoral votes, Obama has it in the bag. Guess now we'll be watching his party start to backpedal on all the silly promises he's made that were totally BS (probably the majority). :roll:

well, in the worst case scenario.

after your stolen 2000's election and the 2004 fear induced election, you will have to admit that today's election is an amazing democratic exercise.

congrats to all U.S.of.A citizens!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:47 pm

hibri2 wrote:
congrats to all U.S.of.A citizens!

Woohooo, what about the U.S.of. A permanent residents? I did not follow the election but find this change of presidency exciting and refreshing. Hope Obama's inexperience will turn out to be his asset. I love traditions that we humans practiced e.g. new year celebration, christman, thanksgiving. But sometimes, conducting business as usual has its cost.

Hope the man delivers in action as well as in his speech. And he does have a weakness for extravagance as evidenced in his Berlin public address. Hope he does not let the latter get the better of him.
Last edited by earthfriendly on Wed, 05 Nov 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, with 333 electoral votes, Obama has it in the bag. Guess now we'll be watching his party start to backpedal on all the silly promises he's made that were totally BS (probably the majority). :roll:

Obama will have to govern from a centrist position if he is to get anything done. As a matter of fact, he is facing so many difficult problems left by the Bush administration that he may not get anything new done at all.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:56 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Woohooo, what about the U.S.of. A permanent residents?

yep congrats to all the good people of the U.S.of.A

welcome back to the international community :-D

(just joking, eh? well, sort of).

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 4:05 pm

If he does nothing else, not one more thing -- his two greatest achievements are secured in the history books:

He has shown the American people that an African American can take the highest office in the land through intelligence and integrity, by a majority of the popular vote.

And through him, we have set upon the world stage a spokesperson we can be proud of. Who says clearly in a loud voice: the Bush Doctrine ends here. That we know the last 8 years were a catastrophic mistake, that there's hope for the future.

Job well done President-Elect Obama, and job well done fellow compatriots. =D>

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 4:05 pm

Ah, America remembers again who she is...

I'm not sure about Obama's policies, but I've always thought that a leader's job is not to have all the answers, but to galvanise the people to action, and the people will find the answers. This Obama seems able to do.

Congratulations USA!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 6:08 pm

Fantastic - Truely amazingly beautiful thing.

Well done Americans, there is hope for you yet.

Every other mixed race country has a chance and that the past has finally been put behind us - We can move on. This may be the result of politically correctness but it will also be the death of it as now any minority can rise to the top so I will not allow any more excuse or blame game guilt mongering in those around me.

Respect Obama for what he has managed to achieve.

McCain has also earnt my respect for being level headed and a gentleman.

Must admit I was in tears watching Obama's victory speech = Just like something out of a Hollywood movie.
Be Like Water

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 6:20 pm

Bafana wrote:Every other mixed race country has a chance and that the past has finally been put behind us - We can move on. This may be the result of politically correctness but it will also be the death of it as now any minority can rise to the top so I will not allow any more excuse or blame game guilt mongering in those around me.

well, now we will see a little bit of that, as of this moment www.stormfront.com forum (one of the most popular white supremacists online resources) was closed to anonymous users and complaining of "too many connections"... thats something to be worried about.

Bafana wrote:Must admit I was in tears watching Obama's victory speech = Just like something out of a Hollywood movie.

a good movie indeed, i was stressed about the other movie that we could be getting:

"the hockey mom president - a disney's drama"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6urw_PWHYk

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 6:55 pm

Bafana wrote:Fantastic - Truely amazingly beautiful thing.

Must admit I was in tears watching Obama's victory speech = Just like something out of a Hollywood movie.

[-X Dun thk guy will cry for listen the speech...you must be joking... :D

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 7:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Guess now we'll be watching his party start to backpedal on all the silly promises he's made that were totally BS (probably the majority). :roll:

Even previous presidents promise what to achieve also not achieve 100%..
Let's you be the presidents then you know not that easy.. :cry: :cry:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:56 pm

saint73 wrote:

Shows you really are a bit naive I'd say. If you'd just watched the newsbroadcasts of his victory speech you would have noticed quite a number of males (almost all as a matter of fact) had wet eyes. I think it's time you grew up.

Joking? Nah, but you done a rather good job of making a joke of yourself though....

Yeah, I'd have to say it was a damn good speech as well. From both of them. Now let's see what he can do with it.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:39 am

saint73 wrote:

I am an emotional guy - What can I say.
Be Like Water

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Shows you really are a bit naive I'd say. If you'd just watched the newsbroadcasts of his victory speech you would have noticed quite a number of males (almost all as a matter of fact) had wet eyes. I think it's time you grew up.

Naive wouldn't be the first word to come to mind seeing Jesse Jackson standing in Grant Park at 1:00 in the morning in the freezing cold with tears streaming down his face.

Cynicism won't help us get anywhere. Cynicism is fear's ugly little cousin. Yesterday the Age of Fear was replaced by the Age of Hope. If that makes me, or the others who were moved to tears a joke, great! Laughter is the best medicine after all. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:29 pm

r.n.t., this wil be the 2nd time I'm going through the "age of hope". Let's "Hope" it gets further than it did the last time. Camelot only lasted 34 months.