Singapore Expats Forum

US Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bafana

US Elections

Postby Bafana » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:13 am

Have been watching the various dem and rep candidates fight it out for the nomination. The whole process is far more complicated and fascinating then I ever thought possible. Its like Singapore Idol on steroids and whats with Bill Clinton lah?

Anyone else watching this?
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 1:30 pm

Baf,

I watch it on and off again. I'm still not too sure who I want, but I damn sure know who I don't want! Course you all just went through the same thing a few months ago as well didn't you. :wink:
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 2:48 pm

Not watching but following the printed news. Have to admit I'm slightly concerned that people are voting for who they like rather than who has better plans for the country. This is worrying in view of the large and growing debt the US is in and its impact on the global economy. Even the Idol TV series had some element of talent, didn't it?

Perhaps as a pragmatic Singaporean I'm quite used to voting for someone I may not like but have to accept is better for the country. The US election, by contrast, seems nothing more than a popularity contest.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 3:52 pm

Dear Bafana,

I'm watching it avidly.

Paypal, used by supporters to canvas funds, had interfered to stop the new hampshire recount by ron paul by delaying a transfer of money that was to be used to pay for the recount. Another candidates's application (Kunich or something) went through so the recount is still on.

Blackboxvoting already said a recount may not prove anything as the chain of custody for the paper ballots is poor.

People are petitioning for electronic diebold voting machines to be removed as these are unconstitutional because they don't allow for public counting of the vote (as in it's all done inside the computer where you can't see it) and also does not permit for a recount, (if the memory card fails, all the votes on that machine is lost).

The media black out on news not supportive of the administration or biased reporting is being reported on the internet where a lot of people who may have discredited it as conspiracy or disgruntled trouble makers are now beginning to sit up and take notice.

Blatent stuffing of ballot boxes during straw polls are being televised on the internet.

More and more exposes are surfacing.

It really is fascinating. Like a rabbit watching the snake. Like being on the titanic and watching the ice cold water rising up the wall in your cabin. Like falling asleep on the day before your exam, knowing you haven't finished your revision.

I really recommend it.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 3:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Baf,

I watch it on and off again. I'm still not too sure who I want, but I damn sure know who I don't want! Course you all just went through the same thing a few months ago as well didn't you. :wink:

What??!! there was an election in singapore a few months ago?

Nobody told me.

Edited: Ah, you tricked me. :)
Last edited by phil30k on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 3:59 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Not watching but following the printed news. Have to admit I'm slightly concerned that people are voting for who they like rather than who has better plans for the country. This is worrying in view of the large and growing debt the US is in and its impact on the global economy. Even the Idol TV series had some element of talent, didn't it?

Perhaps as a pragmatic Singaporean I'm quite used to voting for someone I may not like but have to accept is better for the country. The US election, by contrast, seems nothing more than a popularity contest.

Ah, the story is not in the printed press. Check out the internet. That's where all the drama is.

remersonh

Postby remersonh » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:16 pm

Oh yeah, I'm following this election. This years primaries have been more fun than this years NFL playoffs!

What cracks me up the most is that the candidates who are least likely to win the presidency are the candidates that are doing best in the primaries. (Romney & Clinton).

I'm also really surprised that there isn't anyone in the news media talking about how 24 (the TV show) paved the way for Obama's realistic shot at the presidency. Ok ... now I sound like a crackpot. It's true though. :)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:48 pm

I'm keeping an eye on this campaign, yes. Not hour by hour, but more than past elections. Let's face it -- it's just more interesting. When I was in the States last month, there was definitely an excitement surrounding the entire process -- it's like you can feel the collective weight of the burden that is the tragedy of the current administration being taken off the shoulders of the American people. It's a glorious feeling. Not one person I talked to was certain of who they are going to vote for in the general election, not one. That's what's making this race so much fun to watch. It's still up for grabs!

In a nutshell, this is the impression I got, these are gross exaggerations: People like McCain for everything except his lockstep position with Bush on the Iraq war. Obama is very popular, but some fear too inexperienced. No one will admit to liking Hillary. Romney is most likely unelectable as a Mormon and Edwards is unelectable because his wife has untreatable, metastacized cancer and sadly will most likely die in office.
Last edited by road.not.taken on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:32 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Osama is very popular

And very anti-America! :P

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 7:47 pm

Must be the influences of the interview with his son I'm streaming, oh well -- I fixed it.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:26 am

bring back the scandal between monica and bill clinton. now, that's exciting news!

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 9:52 am

remersonh wrote:I'm also really surprised that there isn't anyone in the news media talking about how 24 (the TV show) paved the way for Obama's realistic shot at the presidency. Ok ... now I sound like a crackpot. It's true though. :)

Tell me more.

BTW some of these guys are scarey like Hucklyberry Hound wantign to re-write the Consititution based on Gods law and McCain sendign people to the gates of hell.

BTW what ever happend tyo Monica L?
Be Like Water

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:01 am

Im not American so I dont have a strong opinion on any of the candidates but I will say that Obama is certainly a great orator. I watched his victory speech in SC and it was impressive. I have heard comments that he is the best public speaker since Kennedy.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:17 am

I agree; he's very charismatic.
One man's meat is another's poison.

remersonh

Crackpot 24 theory

Postby remersonh » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:35 am

Oh it's no big thing.

24 elected an African American to the presidency. They had all kinds of debate in season 1 about 'what that would mean' for the country. I think that it aired the entire race debate and then anticlimactically discarded the emotion of it in favor of a plotline based on ACTIONS that the prinicpal characters had taken in the past.

The twist was brilliant and highly appropriate. And I think that it changed the face of the race debate in America to the appropriate grounds of what the person believes in and how effectively he/she could execute the office rather than how similar the person was to the voter. And I think that it effectively portrayed the real life picture that all Americans ... regardless of race or gender or religion ... are impacted by the things that threaten the country (whatever they may be ... whether economic or moral or terrorist in nature.)

So now, having a woman and an African American as the front runners in this year's election is just no big deal. The emotional aspects of those debates have already played out on tv. No one wants to rehash them again because it would just be a re-run.

Who knows how much bearing any of that really has on the election ... but it's sure a fun theory to discuss!!!! (And yes, there probably IS a kernel of truth in there somewhere ... even if as a whole it is pretty far-fetched.)