Singapore Expats Forum

A Caucasian Singaporean?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
jaw
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed, 09 Jan 2008
Location: here

Postby jaw » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 9:44 am

I am a local and my advice is, stay being a PR if you can and not be a Singaporean..... oops! did I just say something bad :lol:

User avatar
GordonGekko
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Sweden

Postby GordonGekko » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 5:20 pm

Jaw: You have a right to an opinion, but your reasoning is weak. :(
The rest of you: do you know any Caucasians turned Singaporean? :wink:
You do what you are.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 5:54 pm

I don't know any Caucs (I just realised the abbrevation is hilarious!) turned Singaporean personally but last year the Straits Times featured several who have decided to make Singapore their home, raised their kids in Singapore and they all seemed very happy (obviously though, as the unhappy ones wouldn't be here to be interviewed would they?).

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:02 pm

GordonGekko wrote:Jaw: You have a right to an opinion, but your reasoning is weak. :(
The rest of you: do you know any Caucasians turned Singaporean? :wink:


Why it does not happen more often (if ever) I think is due to requirement to give up one's old passport. I would happily take Singapore citizenship but I would not like to give up my old one, which is same as you have.

With a PR status in Singapore one can already stay and have essentially all the same opportunities than a citizen, so why would I give up something that does not really add anything (well a visa free travel to Indonesia seems to be the only benefit). Essentially passport for me is a traveling document that is needed to cross borders. I don't feel my identity depends on passport I carry.

Also if ever have kids they can benefit of two passports, easier to study or work in Europe. I might like singapore, my kids might have another opinion, so why limit their choice if I do not have to.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed, 08 Aug 2007

Postby sprite » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:16 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
GordonGekko wrote:Jaw: You have a right to an opinion, but your reasoning is weak. :(
The rest of you: do you know any Caucasians turned Singaporean? :wink:


Why it does not happen more often (if ever) I think is due to requirement to give up one's old passport. I would happily take Singapore citizenship but I would not like to give up my old one, which is same as you have.

With a PR status in Singapore one can already stay and have essentially all the same opportunities than a citizen, so why would I give up something that does not really add anything (well a visa free travel to Indonesia seems to be the only benefit). Essentially passport for me is a traveling document that is needed to cross borders. I don't feel my identity depends on passport I carry.

Also if ever have kids they can benefit of two passports, easier to study or work in Europe. I might like singapore, my kids might have another opinion, so why limit their choice if I do not have to.


This makes a lot of sense to me. Why burn bridges?

User avatar
drusilla
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed, 12 Dec 2007

Postby drusilla » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 7:46 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:as the unhappy ones wouldn't be here to be interviewed would they?).


even if they were interviewed, no one will ever see those reports/comments either... :roll: :???:

jaw
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed, 09 Jan 2008
Location: here

Postby jaw » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 9:13 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
GordonGekko wrote:Jaw: You have a right to an opinion, but your reasoning is weak. :(
The rest of you: do you know any Caucasians turned Singaporean? :wink:


Why it does not happen more often (if ever) I think is due to requirement to give up one's old passport. I would happily take Singapore citizenship but I would not like to give up my old one, which is same as you have.

With a PR status in Singapore one can already stay and have essentially all the same opportunities than a citizen, so why would I give up something that does not really add anything (well a visa free travel to Indonesia seems to be the only benefit). Essentially passport for me is a traveling document that is needed to cross borders. I don't feel my identity depends on passport I carry.

Also if ever have kids they can benefit of two passports, easier to study or work in Europe. I might like singapore, my kids might have another opinion, so why limit their choice if I do not have to.


BINGO!! as a singaporean, I don't find myself having many special privileges compared to a PR. And who knows, the govt maybe 'forced' by circumstance to accept dual citizenship in time to come ..... even the old man mentioned that before since there are so many quitters recently :roll: .

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 9:50 pm

having two birds is better than one. :P

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:38 pm

I don't know any Caucs (I just realised the abbrevation is hilarious!)


:oops: Creative writing skills are not your problem I can see! :lol: :wink: I wrote a lengthy piece, but I guess I lost it, or it was censored ha! I found it very funny, although many will miss the point. :oops: :wink: But it's the materialistic quality that counts in Singapore...is it not? :P Not the size hee hee!

The citizenship, isn't really a problem for British Citizens, because even though it is renounced in Singapore to the Singapore authorities to get Singapore citizenship, it is none effective to the UK.

So one automatically gets a new passport, from UK if applied for! So yes its better to have two passports if your birth Country allows it. Even if they don't allow it, there is no reason to tell them!

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 1:34 am

ksl wrote:So one automatically gets a new passport, from UK if applied for! So yes its better to have two passports if your birth Country allows it. Even if they don't allow it, there is no reason to tell them!


yep...... mum's the word. :P

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 1:17 pm

I have met a few whiteys with Singapore passports.

I'd agree, however, remain a PR, unless you are from the US and want to avoid double taxation.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
GordonGekko
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Sweden

Postby GordonGekko » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 2:11 am

Thanks for your input, guys. You had a lot of interesting viewpoints. However, I don't have a whole lot of people to miss here, so I don't see a return to Sweden or even to Europe in the horizon. :wink:
Vaucluse: any of your "whitey" citizen friends willing to share their story? :)
You do what you are.

User avatar
GordonGekko
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005
Location: Sweden

Postby GordonGekko » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 2:17 am

PPF: my story seems to be a little different from yours, though. I've been living outside of Finland most of my life, and Sweden has never felt like home... :(
You do what you are.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 5:09 am

GordonGekko wrote:PPF: my story seems to be a little different from yours, though. I've been living outside of Finland most of my life, and Sweden has never felt like home... :(


I my instincts say, that you are of Eurosian parentage, for some reason! :) based on the desire to give it all up, in the west for Singapore.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Mon, 04 Feb 2008 8:56 am

shouldnt that be scandasian instead of eurasian? :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests