Singapore Expats Forum

Russian translation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

revfeim

Russian translation

Postby revfeim » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:42 am

Hello, does anyone know where I can get a translater to assist me with filling in a form in Russian?

Many thanks

Vino

Postby Vino » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:26 pm

Try going online. Mayb can find some help

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Russian translation

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 1:44 am

revfeim wrote:Hello, does anyone know where I can get a translater to assist me with filling in a form in Russian?

Many thanks

Depends how much text you need doing. Can you copy and paste it. If its a form it should be simple to do with the online translator....There is a link on my website to babylon, try it and see. Click below! But only a sentence at a time for best results.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 4:26 am

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 3:13 pm

durain wrote:http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Tried babelfish a few times, not very accurate.

Babylon, I'm a paid up member, its been a great help, for translation, and i always, get it proof read, before using.

It's more cool, and great fun to build your own dictionary, within your field of expertise, which you can share with the community.

I've been building a PIN YIN database, with Flash Card Characters, for a while, but not yet uploaded the files, to be shared. It can be a great teaching aid, and there are many subjects to chose from, like computer terminology. I find Babylon more correct in many ways, than babelfish, although it also depends a great deal on text length!

I think both have difficulty doing a paragraph at a time, and getting it 100% correct. But becasue I have a sound basic knowledge of Chinese, it's been very helpful translating complexed Chinese to English.

It is a must have, for multi language usage, like myself, who isn't fluent in all languages. But having the sound basics of grammar in more than 5 European and 2 Asian languages, it is a very handy tool to have around, so I most certainly find it worth paying for, if you consider the costs of translation! :wink:

Sinvan

Re: Russian translation

Postby Sinvan » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:12 pm

revfeim wrote:Hello, does anyone know where I can get a translater to assist me with filling in a form in Russian?

Many thanks

If you need an official translation it is better to go to the Russian Embassy. Another way is to check out tour guides https://guides-online.visitsingapore.co ... esults.jsp
But if it is something simple and little I might take a look at if I can help. Please do not use online translators if you do not want to get just gobbledygook in your application. There are plenty native speakers around.
Life is wonderful, but amusing