Singapore Expats Forum

Rental Prices Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

yogini4life
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

thanks for replying

Postby yogini4life » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:46 am

I have been all over this website and perhaps I have too much information in my head, or maybe I just can't seem to pare it down to useful information for our situation. I have an idea of estimating monthly living expenses, where I seem to get hung up is rental prices and schooling costs as they seem to be the biggest variable in moving to Singapore. I know there are no guarentees and I very much appreciate getting pointed in the right direction.

Hope you all had a great day- we are off to the St. Paul Winter Carnival....at least it is almost above freezing today!

:wink:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: thanks for replying

Postby ksl » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 3:53 am

yogini4life wrote:I have been all over this website and perhaps I have too much information in my head, or maybe I just can't seem to pare it down to useful information for our situation. I have an idea of estimating monthly living expenses, where I seem to get hung up is rental prices and schooling costs as they seem to be the biggest variable in moving to Singapore. I know there are no guarentees and I very much appreciate getting pointed in the right direction.

Hope you all had a great day- we are off to the St. Paul Winter Carnival....at least it is almost above freezing today!

:wink:


I think all your worries will be answered, in the threads SMS pointed out! If not, start a new thread, there, just to keep it all in perspective!

CarBaby
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 25 Aug 2006

Postby CarBaby » Mon, 28 Jan 2008 5:54 pm

singapore economy is still doing well attracting alot more companies in the water and energy industries, etc setting up headquater in singapore....the current property market settlement has slow down due to the US eco subprime..... in a longer run, i project that it will outperform....

yogini4life
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby yogini4life » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 9:45 am

I am a slow learner...could you repeat that in non- economics terms? This area isn't exactly my expertise...I'm a fitness educator/instructor. I lecture about physiology, not the economy. Think rudimentary......

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2005
Location: Singapore

of course

Postby Allibert » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:11 am

this assumes that since the government wants the population to incerease that companies will be prepared to move to a country where ther could have set up business for hald the cost just a couple of years ago.

Basically, if your company is prepared to pay for your housing you can afford to live here. Everyone else is thinking of leaving the country. Single expats especially cannot buy and soon will not be able to afford the rents here.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: of course

Postby ksl » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 3:06 pm

Allibert wrote:this assumes that since the government wants the population to incerease that companies will be prepared to move to a country where ther could have set up business for hald the cost just a couple of years ago.

Basically, if your company is prepared to pay for your housing you can afford to live here. Everyone else is thinking of leaving the country. Single expats especially cannot buy and soon will not be able to afford the rents here.


Personally I would think the government is not too concerned, if an MNC cannot afford to pay the rents....when singaporeans, also have to pay, the same too. We all have a choice of where one wants to live...

There was over 10.5 million tourists, last year, and with the IR and Forumla 1 Starting, I guess more short term rentals are required, compared to Macau, Singapore as less than half the tourism, although once the gates open, I think there will be a substantial growth.

Let's face it the world is going around, and the seeds for growth have been planted long ago, it's only a matter of time before harvesting, is realised...Those that jump ship, instead of riding with the change and being prudent, lose out I'm afraid..

Strangers that are only here for the money and couldn't careless about the Country, who cares! Lets be honest, do you really think they will be missed!

Singapore is still a tax haven for many very wealthy people from around the world, it grows, day by day!

I am also prepared to invest in the future of Singapore, because the government, is much more better than my own Countries, Where else in the world, do they have a CPF, where one is allowed to invest and control, ones own fate....... :lol: It's a hot place to be, but it's got alot going for it, with a mass of oportunities, for those with a creative and positive mind.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Re: of course

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 9:57 am

ksl wrote:Where else in the world, do they have a CPF, where one is allowed to invest and control, ones own fate....... :lol:


Hong Kong.




Well, you did ask ;) Tourism in Macau is going through the roof these days and it is predicted that either this year or next, visitor / tourist numbers to Macau will outstrip those going to Hong Kong. The casinos there are a huge draw, now more profitable to the casino chains than Las Vegas.

Personally i think the Chinese tourists making up the bulk of these visitors would rather keep going to Macau than Singapore...... let's face it, it's a domestic destination.

I still don't believe the IR will have too much influence in prices, and certainly not F1. How something that lasts for one week out of fifty two is supposed to be so beneficial is beyond me, especially when many other F1 destinations loose money directly.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: of course

Postby ksl » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 1:54 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
ksl wrote:Where else in the world, do they have a CPF, where one is allowed to invest and control, ones own fate....... :lol:


Hong Kong.




Well, you did ask ;) Tourism in Macau is going through the roof these days and it is predicted that either this year or next, visitor / tourist numbers to Macau will outstrip those going to Hong Kong. The casinos there are a huge draw, now more profitable to the casino chains than Las Vegas.

Personally i think the Chinese tourists making up the bulk of these visitors would rather keep going to Macau than Singapore...... let's face it, it's a domestic destination.

I still don't believe the IR will have too much influence in prices, and certainly not F1. How something that lasts for one week out of fifty two is supposed to be so beneficial is beyond me, especially when many other F1 destinations loose money directly.


Thanks for the information, so that's two Countries out of 194!

Personally I believe that the number of tourists will increase, significantly over the next 5 years....for one thing, those with money, and who have the time, will think nothing of tripping down to Singapore to impress, their friends.....win or lose, doesn't matter, providing you have enough cash rolling in.

The formula 1 racing, is no different, from any other sport, that have fanatics, I personally know of a few, that will be coming to Singapore for the week, all though i wouldn't mysellf.

Tour de France is another, that pulls a large gathering of tourists, along with football, so I'm pretty sure the F1, will also attract a significant number of enthusiasts, and even though it may well be a loss making event for some, the sponsors, obviously don't think so.

Especially in the marketing field, it's exposure that matters, and the subliminal message that is sent out, to the public, it's probably one of the best marketing ploys around, to stimulate enthusiasts, money is spent indirectly, and that's the whole point, if they make money at the event, I guess it's a plus..but highly unlikely for a 3 day event.

Even if Singapore boost the tourism, by another 100K in the first year, it doesn't really matter, what matters is that numbers increase year on year, I guess the break even point may well be 20 years down the road or longer, from the governments point of view, but one thing for sure, is that Singapore does have more to offer, than Blackpool. UK, and they pull 6 to 7 million poor tourists every year! :lol:

So the indirect spending is the issue, to look at, with regards to growth, and employment opportunities.

My money is on Singapore government, because I have yet to see, them make a bad investment, yet!

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2005
Location: Singapore

And the number of tourists

Postby Allibert » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 2:48 pm

has what to do with housing rental prives?

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Re: of course

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 4:46 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
I still don't believe the IR will have too much influence in prices, and certainly not F1. How something that lasts for one week out of fifty two is supposed to be so beneficial is beyond me, especially when many other F1 destinations loose money directly.


F1 may not influence apartment rental prices directly in Singapore, but shouldn't compare Singapore GP to the European ones that don't make much money.

Most of the European GPs are held in the middle of nowhere, so spectators arrive by car and spend hardly any money on local business. A local farmers charge 50 dollars a day for allowing people to use their fields for camping, and some kids will sell coffee and biscuits. People arrive with tents and caravan cars, bring they own food and beer for the night. Here in Singapore those visitors will stay in 4-5 star hotels, pay double charges, and spent they evenings eating and drinking at clarke quay.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Re: of course

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:53 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I still don't believe the IR will have too much influence in prices, and certainly not F1. How something that lasts for one week out of fifty two is supposed to be so beneficial is beyond me, especially when many other F1 destinations loose money directly.


The main benefit of the F1 as I see it (and of course I could be wrong though that has never happened before :wink: ) is not the immediate cash it brings during the week, but the effect of raising the bar. I have never heard of standard hotel rooms crossing the S$1000 mark until now. Once the businesses here taste blood they will want more. And more importantly, from experience they will believe it possible. The mind once stretched never goes back to its original dimensions blah blah. And so the F1's benefit goes beyond itself in that it is merely the first in what will hopefully be many more events like it.

User avatar
sillingw
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006
Location: West coast

Re: of course

Postby sillingw » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 1:28 pm

ksl wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
ksl wrote:Where else in the world, do they have a CPF, where one is allowed to invest and control, ones own fate....... :lol:


Hong Kong.



actually the US 401k system is the same, you choose where to invest

that makes 3 :D

zjules
Regular
Regular
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu, 10 Aug 2006

Postby zjules » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 2:01 pm

A friend went to view an apartment yesterday, advertised at 2k. Liked the place, and immediately told the agent he would take it. All was agreed with the agent and arranged to meet the next morning to sign with the owner. Next morning, got a phone call from the agent saying the owner had decided it is actually worth more and the new price is 2.4k... Seems now that the price is more after you express interest.. Singaporean greed...! :(

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 3:21 pm

zjules wrote:Liked the place, and immediately told the agent he would take it.



That was the problem right there......... too keen.

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 4:17 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
zjules wrote:Liked the place, and immediately told the agent he would take it.

That was the problem right there......... too keen.

Until recently, if you didn't grab the apartment immediately, it would be taken by someone else within a day... :o
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests