Singapore Expats Forum

only sq or nothing at all???

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Desire

only sq or nothing at all???

Postby Desire » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 5:20 am

Why do most people think that if one isn't flying for sq, it's probably because he/she couldn't get into sq and had to settle for second best? Is this really the case? And what about Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Silkair, JAL, Tiger, Jetstar etc? Are these airlines really much easier to get in than sq?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 8:20 am

SQ does set the standard higher and this is reflected by their inflight service. but one must not feel they are second best just because they cant get into SQ. there are a lot more airline in the pond :P

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 8:59 am

Don't know why. In my opinion, SQ isn't the best airline, at least not the best one I have flown and I've probably flown about 2 dozen different ones. Of the airlines based out of Asia, I guess SQ would be one of the better ones, but I couldn't say the best. I'm talking from the passenger point of view, not as an employee or spouse of one. :wink:

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Postby jencrs » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 9:00 am

durain wrote:but one must not feel they are second best just because they cant get into SQ.
True.
I think that S'poreans feel this way because they want to be part of the a major icon in their own country. It's just not the same if you work for a foreign airline.
Also, you'd be based in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 9:29 am

Matney wrote:Don't know why. In my opinion, SQ isn't the best airline, at least not the best one I have flown and I've probably flown about 2 dozen different ones. Of the airlines based out of Asia, I guess SQ would be one of the better ones, but I couldn't say the best. I'm talking from the passenger point of view, not as an employee or spouse of one. :wink:

in your opinion, which airline you consider to be the best?

theknees
Chatter
Chatter

Postby theknees » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:03 am

durain wrote:SQ does set the standard higher and this is reflected by their inflight service. but one must not feel they are second best just because they cant get into SQ.

i don't think this is true anymore. if you said it 5 years ago i would agree definitely. but now, things have changed, for example, the height requirement has dropped, the number of interview stages have dropped. if you look at some of the older stewardesses and now, you'll see the difference.

i think Emirates has a high standard. it is so difficult to get through their interviews!

but i suppose you cannot compare airline to airline. each has its own criteria, some going for looks, some going for personality, etc.
ღ i wanna kiss you underneath the stars //

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Postby queenie-me » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:33 pm

Matney wrote:Don't know why. In my opinion, SQ isn't the best airline, at least not the best one I have flown and I've probably flown about 2 dozen different ones. Of the airlines based out of Asia, I guess SQ would be one of the better ones, but I couldn't say the best. I'm talking from the passenger point of view, not as an employee or spouse of one. :wink:

I agree with you. ;)

Piglet_23

Postby Piglet_23 » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 1:39 pm

queenie-me wrote:

I agree with you. ;)

hands up. :cool:
.*.Dare to Dream.*.

ryanstarr
Regular
Regular

Postby ryanstarr » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 3:01 pm

I've done it all-served NS and reservist, flown for both the Singapore owned airlines, SQ and TR. As a Singaporean, there is no greater honour than to have been picked to fly for your National Carrier....
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

rainschocolate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby rainschocolate » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 3:24 pm

ryanstarr wrote:I've done it all-served NS and reservist, flown for both the Singapore owned airlines, SQ and TR. As a Singaporean, there is no greater honour than to have been picked to fly for your National Carrier....

i agree.
its like representing your own country and being proud of it.
recognize SQ's hardwork in making SIA such a reputable airlines thruout all these years, there must be a reason for its accomplishments!
the world at your doorstep.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 4:41 pm

theknees wrote:the height requirement has dropped,

Has it?

the number of interview stages have dropped. if you look at some of the older stewardesses and now, you'll see the difference.

I agree, my first flight was in 1999, since then some of the stewardesses seem both bitchy and dis-interested while a good number of the males a both pig-headed and arrogant.

i think Emirates has a high standard. it is so difficult to get through their interviews!

No doubt, although I don't know they probably have to pay a premium for the privilege of recruiting Singaporean citizens.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 7:05 pm

Plavt wrote:i think Emirates has a high standard. it is so difficult to get through their interviews!

No doubt, although I don't know they probably have to pay a premium for the privilege of recruiting Singaporean citizens.

i dont know how emirates do it as they got one of the cheapest airfare. must be the cheaper fuel they are getting in dubai coz that is a big factor in saving cost.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 7:23 pm

durain wrote:
i dont know how emirates do it as they got one of the cheapest airfare. must be the cheaper fuel they are getting in dubai coz that is a big factor in saving cost.

Very probably since fuel is the most expensive running cost of an airline, normally it is staff wages. Yes fuel is very cheap in the gulf states: no import or long-distance travel costs or high taxes.

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Postby queenie-me » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:17 pm

rainschocolate wrote:
ryanstarr wrote:I've done it all-served NS and reservist, flown for both the Singapore owned airlines, SQ and TR. As a Singaporean, there is no greater honour than to have been picked to fly for your National Carrier....

i agree.
its like representing your own country and being proud of it.
recognize SQ's hardwork in making SIA such a reputable airlines thruout all these years, there must be a reason for its accomplishments!

The question here was different. It was:
Why do most people think that if one isn't flying for sq, it's probably because he/she couldn't get into sq and had to settle for second best? Is this really the case? And what about Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Silkair, JAL, Tiger, Jetstar etc? Are these airlines really much easier to get in than sq?

Shall I first answer the question. Well.. It's Singaporeans instinct. - what do you expect?
And nope, it's all the same to all airlines. Plus, it's so... much harder to get to Emirates, Etihad and Qatar.

I would like to point out something here:

Actually, flying for SQ isn't that bad. But sticking to the company is alot different. For example I am comparing to Emirates.
SQ doesn't provide accommodation for FREE for foreigners. BUT Emirates does. Plus Dubai is a tax free country.. and oil is alot cheapers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
For SQ, even if a SQ steward/stewardess works hard, they still have to pay bills + expenses, not to mentioned housing in Singapore is extremely expensive.

If I were to choose between these 2 airlines, I will definitely choose Emirates [even thou I am a Singaporean]. I don't have to pay taxes and accommodation. Look at just how much I will save and earn at the end of my service.

Chatter
Chatter

Postby 12345 » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 1:28 am

theknees wrote:
durain wrote:SQ does set the standard higher and this is reflected by their inflight service. but one must not feel they are second best just because they cant get into SQ.

i don't think this is true anymore. if you said it 5 years ago i would agree definitely. but now, things have changed, for example, the height requirement has dropped, the number of interview stages have dropped. if you look at some of the older stewardesses and now, you'll see the difference.

but i suppose you cannot compare airline to airline. each has its own criteria, some going for looks, some going for personality, etc.

Yes, i would have to agree with you. SQ basically looks alot at one's personality...whether u r fit for the job. This was wat one of the senior vice-presidents told me too after my management interview. He said that they dun necessarily go for the preetiest or slimmest...but they wud select sumone whom they deemed fit for the job. Becoz they believe that by getting a personality fit, only then would the employee excel in wat he/she is doing. This was wat he told me....

N yea, i noticed that emirates sets really high standards for their interviews. From wat it may seem, it looks alot tougher than SQ's. But in my personal opinion...just my personal opinion, SQ is still rather more glamorous and reputable as compared to Emirates. Probably emirates is doing good enuf in terms of their aircraft interior, food etc but in terms of inflight service, I think SQ is still taking the lead by far. So am not too sure wat exactly is emirates looking for when selecting their cabin crews...