Singapore Expats

Renounce Singapore Citizenship

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
NSProblem

Post by NSProblem » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 5:29 pm

neanderthal wrote:OP's point is that he now has a different name than his birth name and so should be able to enter Singapore under the new identity and as a British citizen. What he's worried about is that he will be arrested in Singapore as a Singapore citizen for not doing his NS.

Of course, he WILL be arrested here if he's dumb enough to say he's really a Singapore citizen and has not done his NS.

Are we to expect that he, being a British of Chinese origin, will be singled out at the Singapore immigration checkpoint when he arrives and be asked for his birth certificate and/or renunciation papers in order to verify his citizenship/NS status? C'mon, give me a break!

BHC won't help him? He won't know till he asks, will he? Unless you're from the BHC yourself, Plavt, why should we take your word that there is no point in asking them for help?

In fact, what I'd like to know is why is the OP putting his question about Singapore citizenship and Singapore national service to a bunch of ignorant, clueless, fear-mongering expats?
I had a friend who ran away from the law in Singapore and lived in a foreign country. He changed his name, including surname, and got a foreign passport. Years later, he would enter Singapore regularly with the foreign passport. Although the passport said he was borned in Singapore, he was never questioned or detained at immigration.

One day, he got drunk. He hit a guy and was detained in the police station. They searched him and found his old IC, together with his foreign passport in his pocket. They IDed him after 20 years. He carried his IC because he had maintained bank accounts in Singapore, under his old name..

byung_hun

Post by byung_hun » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 6:09 pm

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????
are you serious???????? :D
hey how cool is that. that means nothing would occur since I have same details like him

sino-cad

Post by sino-cad » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 6:03 pm

Reminder for oath-taking by minor citizens
http://app.ica.gov.sg/pressrelease/pres ... yYear=1999

Minors who are Singapore Citizens by descent or registration are reminded to take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty within 12 months after reaching the age of 21 years (i.e. between their 21st and 22nd birthdays).

2 Minors who are in Singapore may take the Oath at the Citizen Services Centre (Citizenship) at SIR Building, 6th Storey, 10 Kallang Road (next to Lavender MRT Station), between 8.30 am to 5.00 pm from Mondays to Fridays and 8.30 am to 1.00 pm on Saturdays.

3 For those minors who are overseas, they may take the Oath at the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission. If it is not convenient for them to do so at the nearest mission, they may apply for prior permission to the Registrar of Citizens to take the Oath before any Notary Public or person authorised to administer oaths in that place. For such cases, the duly completed Oath form and the original Citizenship Certificate must be delivered to the Registrar of Citizens within 1 month after the minor's 22nd birthday. Otherwise, the Oath becomes invalid and the person automatically ceases to be a citizen of Singapore.

4 Minors who fail to take their Oath will lose their citizenship status on their 22nd birthday. We would advise parents of these minors to remind their children to take the Oath before their 22nd birthday. Singapore citizens by birth are not required to take the Oath.
i just turned 22 and I did not take my oath...so do I lose my citizenship? and am I still liable for NS

I am living in overseas now and acquired a foreign citizenship as well.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Jan 2008 6:12 pm

sino-cad wrote:

4 Minors who fail to take their Oath will lose their citizenship status on their 22nd birthday. We would advise parents of these minors to remind their children to take the Oath before their 22nd birthday. Singapore citizens by birth are not required to take the Oath.

i just turned 22 and I did not take my oath...so do I lose my citizenship? and am I still liable for NS

Were you a Singaporean Citizen by birth? If so, no you don't lose your citizenship and yes you are still liable for NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sino-cad

Post by sino-cad » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 7:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sino-cad wrote:

Were you a Singaporean Citizen by birth? If so, no you don't lose your citizenship and yes you are still liable for NS.
Obviously i wont be posting this if I was born in Singapore. Oath taking is mandatory for minors whose parents took up singapore citizenship.

So no I born else where but took up citizenship because of my parents applied for citizenship in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2008 9:19 am

Why is it obvious? The OP was born in Singapore and you decided to post in his thread so you must have though your case was similar...... :roll:

Hoist by your own petard? Methinks!

Otherwise, it is pretty obvious from the link you posted yourself. Or didn't you even bother to read it?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

byung_hun

Post by byung_hun » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:01 pm

@ NSproblem:
So your friend was able to enter and leave Singapore without facing any complications?? That what you have said, haven't you?

mummydearest

NS problem

Post by mummydearest » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 3:25 pm

So Steven, I'm really interested to know if you've return ton Singapore and are u in NS now?

doms

Post by doms » Wed, 20 May 2009 5:16 am

Steven, also interested in hearing about your progress. Have you been back?

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Re: Renounce Singapore Citizenship

Post by TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 10:48 pm

byung_hun wrote:Hi you guys! I really do hope that you are able to assist me in my situation.

I was born in Singapore in 1988 and therefore I am normally a subject to the NS. But I left Singapore in the year 1997 at the age of nine years. Until now I have not set foot into Singapore. It has been more than ten years and I find it more than sad that I cannot enter the country without knowing what will happen. I just want to see my families and old friends once again and see all the changes that have occured during my absence.
I am now living in the U.K since the year 1997 after the departure from Singapore. I have obtained British Citizenship at the age of 18 and furthermore I was given a British passport. My former surname used to be "LEE". But my mother's new husband has adopted me at the age of 17 without which I was not able to obtain British Citizenship.

I will be 21 in the next year. Is it possible to renounce the Singaporean Citizenship without having any problems with army or government? I myself do not know what will happen when I enter the country and therefore I have decided to stay away from Singapore until I am 21 and furthermore I do not even know whether I am still a citizen of Singapore.

I have no other wish except to see Singapore once again. I would do everything.
I would be more than thankful if you are all able to give me some advice to facilitate this matter!

Regards, Steven
Simple, call a lawyer and PAY for proper advice. DO you really want to be given a song and dance here, come back and then get nicked or something if you were given the wrong FREE "information"? Just seek legal advice, at least you sleep sounder at night :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 May 2009 11:04 pm

TennoHekka wrote:DO you really want to be given a song and dance here, come back and then get nicked or something if you were given the wrong FREE "information"? Just seek legal advice, at least you sleep sounder at night :P
So... why are you digging up old to ancient posts to which you reply... often belligerently ? Too much sauce in the evenings?

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Post by TennoHekka » Thu, 21 May 2009 1:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
TennoHekka wrote:DO you really want to be given a song and dance here, come back and then get nicked or something if you were given the wrong FREE "information"? Just seek legal advice, at least you sleep sounder at night :P
So... why are you digging up old to ancient posts to which you reply... often belligerently ? Too much sauce in the evenings?
Just trying to particpate. Why are you taking offense? Am I "too loud"? :twisted:

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Thu, 21 May 2009 11:23 am

Wink Wink - Nudge Nudge.

If you really want to get out of NS and Singapore quick hit the ferry and go to Batam with some cash and a local guide (try the gurs at Lucy's Oarhouse). Within a few days you will have official new identity, passport, workpass, birth cert and high school record. Mind you, you will also be Indonesian as well.

Mind you all very illegal and should not be done if you care about abidding the law.
Be Like Water

HakFromOz

Citizenship by Descent and National Service

Post by HakFromOz » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
sino-cad wrote:

My son is a Citizen by descent, and recently MINDEF wants him to return to Singapore to serve NS. If, he did not take the Oath by 22 yo, he will lose his Singapore citizenship, right? What about NS? Can he get away from NS, since MINDEF cannot do anything to him, now that he has lost his citizenship? He is currently 17, and will be required to post $75k bond, and return by end of next year....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:25 pm

He probably won't lose his citizenship - yet! But there's a good probability that should he ever land in Singapore, he could well be picked up as a deserter. Not good. And then after serving his prison time as a deserter, he will be made to do NS after which, they'll probably take away his citizenship.

Why do people always make their lives difficult. :???: