Singapore Expats Forum

Why are the morning busses turned into a freezer?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Scandinavia
Regular
Regular

Why are the morning busses turned into a freezer?

Postby Scandinavia » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:12 am

First morning here when I stepped on the morning company bus it was like walking into a freezer.

Ever since I´m forced to bring my jacket not to get to cold.

I´m amazed... Truly....

Why don´t the drivers turn the aircon down?

It was exactly the same story in Brazil actually so now I´m really puzzled.....

People brings blankets, jackets & stuff to survive this morning wake up attempt from the driver and it looks so funny. :)

Here we are in 28 degrees, freezing like dogs every morning....

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:21 am

It's Singapore's strategy to ensure you are wide awake when you get to work, so that you are really productive, If you mix this with a starbucks offering you will be bouncing off the ceiling :D

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:08 am

Well........ isn't it supposed to be winter? :lol:

Anyway, you should be thanking those nice people at SMRT of giving the Europeans and Americans a little part of Singapore where we can feel at home, without paying $45 to get into Snow City....... or paying double for vodka shots at the Ice Bar.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 5:16 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Well........ isn't it supposed to be winter? :lol:

Anyway, you should be thanking those nice people at SMRT of giving the Europeans and Americans a little part of Singapore where we can feel at home, without paying $45 to get into Snow City....... or paying double for vodka shots at the Ice Bar.

And to hell with the melting polar ice caps! :) I think it should be illegal to run air/con and leave doors open like many businesses do, freeze people out of movie theaters and make public places uncomfortable cold. What an incredibly irresponsible thing to do.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 5:18 pm

the driver probably dont have air-cond at home. so when he is driving the bus, he might as well enjoy it cold and put it on full blast.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 8:32 pm

Have you tried asking the driver to turn it up? Sometimes they think the passengers prefer it cold so that they don't arrive at work all sweaty in their work suits.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 8:56 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Have you tried asking the driver to turn it up? Sometimes they think the passengers prefer it cold so that they don't arrive at work all sweaty in their work suits.

turn it UP? it will be sub zero inside the bus!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:43 pm

durain wrote:turn it UP? it will be sub zero inside the bus!

Turning the thermostat up makes it warmer, not colder. At least that's how it works in my mind. Up = bigger number = higher temperature = warmer. No?

Oh dear, maybe the bus is freezing cos some people asked the driver to turn down the aircon, and he did! Ha ha. If you want to be perfectly clear, tell him "Too cold, make warmer can?"

Good luck. :)

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:10 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
durain wrote:turn it UP? it will be sub zero inside the bus!

Turning the thermostat up makes it warmer, not colder. At least that's how it works in my mind. Up = bigger number = higher temperature = warmer. No?

Oh dear, maybe the bus is freezing cos some people asked the driver to turn down the aircon, and he did! Ha ha. If you want to be perfectly clear, tell him "Too cold, make warmer can?"

Good luck. :)

oh yeah. one person's UP is another person's DOWN :roll:

give the driver a BIG ang pow for CNY and he will climate control the air-cond for you :P

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 1:29 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Have you tried asking the driver to turn it up? Sometimes they think the passengers prefer it cold so that they don't arrive at work all sweaty in their work suits.

We used to have the same discussion in Hong Kong every year, but the difference is that during the winter the outside temperature is already 10-degrees.

Anyway the answer always was...... the driver has no control over the temperature of the a/c as it is set by the bus company.

Don't know if it's the same here or not, but the buses are pretty much the same.

LycheeMartini

Postby LycheeMartini » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 5:16 pm

Scandinavia, your description made me laugh. Yes i do agree that it is like 28degrees here but we r freezing indoor most of the time. That's why ppl get sick so easily. Everywhere is a human freezer!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 5:26 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:

We used to have the same discussion in Hong Kong every year, but the difference is that during the winter the outside temperature is already 10-degrees.

Anyway the answer always was...... the driver has no control over the temperature of the a/c as it is set by the bus company.

Don't know if it's the same here or not, but the buses are pretty much the same.

I've been told that numerous times here as well. I can believe it as well.

Scandinavia
Regular
Regular

Postby Scandinavia » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 8:52 am

Returning to this subject I find something weird has happend.

I have adjusted after 6 months and I can´t quite say when it happend.

It´s just that the low temperatures just don´t seem to bother me as much any more.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:09 am

It's acclimatization! Happens to most of us. You wake up one day and it dawns on you that you realize that you left you jacket home and then can't remember when you started leaving it home! Now, shorts & singlet on the morning bus doesn't even bother you. :cool:

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 20 Jun 2008 9:49 am

What really scary is when I go back to Aus for Christmas (ie. the middle of summer) and have to wear a jacket because the evenings are so chilly :shock: :lol: