Singapore Expats Forum

UK politics song

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

UK politics song

Postby ksl » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 5:02 am

Well I found it on youtube anyway! Talk about the American dream :roll: Can't compete with the British welfare system! :lol: who's the mugs :P 60 years of hardship and now, sold down the river, again, so that Blair could make his career! While the Brits get pissed up and fight between themselves over football :lol: :P

The government !has got to be the funniest comedian act since dads army! and the biggest cock up since the Japanes took Singapore. Did they have coronation street then or East Enders :oops: TV is much better than politics....my mum would only vote, if they were good looking :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PI21oevLhM

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 6:59 am

:P

that's where the 40% income tax goes...

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Re: UK politics song

Postby phil30k » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 9:41 am

I think immigration is necessary in a developing country where your infrastructure is not set up, eg lack of schools, local business men, etc. It can cover the period till your own people develop.

It brings with it a lot of problems but ultimately the rewards may justify it.

To me, when it happens in a "developed" country, it just implies the government is extremely shortsighted because needing immigrants is symptomatic of poor policies already in place in a "developed" country.

It seems this point always gets swept under the rug.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:53 am

phil30k:To me, when it happens in a "developed" country, it just implies the government is extremely shortsighted because needing immigrants is symptomatic of poor policies already in place in a "developed" country.

Exactly my point! Also the majority of people not caring a toss, and would rather watch football!

But i also blame the legislation, which appears to be in place, to protect, the Prime Minister, in stead of the Country...the population should have the power, to vote him out of government, or force him to step down, long before, the damage is done...In the UK it is not possible, its protectionism of the selected few!

With the blame put on the people, its scandlous! When i was reading about Singapore and the health minister, I was wondering about the debate, of welfare. One needs to be very careful, otherwise abuse steps in, and will bring the Country to its knees!

Bad management and policies, is what the UK stands for, decentralisation, makes it worse in my opinion, allocating the power, to a bunch of pathetic Councillors, is the most craziest thing that could happen, but by doing that, one cannot hold the government accountable!

Does the government care, about the politics of the Country, its clear to see, that what they care about is their own wealth creating opportunities, no matter which party is in power, the UK are experts, at manipulation of the law, to suit their own needs.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: UK politics song

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:18 pm

phil30k wrote:To me, when it happens in a "developed" country, it just implies the government is extremely shortsighted because needing immigrants is symptomatic of poor policies already in place in a "developed" country.

It seems this point always gets swept under the rug.

First of all, damned cute song even it it does hit home.

Phil30k, so you are saying essentially that Singapore has poor policies? It's pretty well developed and the government wants a population of 6 million? With citizens who can't stand to touch each other? With a fertility rate of only 1.3 the only way it's going to happen is massive immigration. Which, as I am sure you have noticed, has started already.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 5:59 pm

now... there's a difference between immigrant and asylum seekers/freeloader (in the UK anyway).

immigrant = they work to earn a living, pay tax, etc.

asylum seeker/freeloader = they do jack and get everything for free!