Singapore Expats Forum

where to report for problems of antenna on rooftop?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

foxhana

where to report for problems of antenna on rooftop?

Postby foxhana » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 8:36 pm

i cant watch channel 5 and 8.. i think it has something to do with the antenna on the rooftop. but where do i report it? do i call or waht?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:24 pm

It would depend on where you live. If you live in a condo, call the condo management office. If you live in private housing (renting) call the landlord. If you live in HDB, call HDB or visit the estate's resident's committee.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would depend on where you live. If you live in a condo, call the condo management office. If you live in private housing (renting) call the landlord. If you live in HDB, call HDB or visit the estate's resident's committee.

Just a quicky on electricity....and lightening...the electric cuts out almost every time, I was under the impression if the building is earthed, this would not happen? Or am i wrong!

The neighbour says, it always cuts out, so I am thinking the building is not earthed correctly! It is tripping the switch every time, so it is protecting from the surge, although I switched my computer off, at the mains, to be on the safe side.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:56 pm

First of all, I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer.

But, I think that even if the building is grounded, the static discharge of a lightening strike could knock the breakers off. I was knocked out of my chair through my mouse in Seletar Camp a number of years ago. The building was struck by lightening and the grounding strap ran down the wall about 6 feet from where my office desk sat. I was grounded on the floor with wet bare feet having just come from outdoors in the rain. My family in MiL's house behind ours saw the lightening strike and the "St. Elmo's Fire" travel down the earthing strip and into the trap in the concrete sidewalk where the strap is grounded. The lightening actually hit the lightening rod on the roof and because my TV antenna base straddled (without touching) the strap that ran the length of the crown of the roof, the static discharge blew out our TV and apparently close enough to come through the power lines at some point, entering the PC and ground itself through the motherboard mouseport and my hand which was on the mouse.

Every time we have a thunderstorm it seems a close lightening strike causes numerous auto-alarm systems in cars to go off as well.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:42 am

It happened a lot when I was living in the shophouse with the antenae on top of the roof. I thought they would have found a way to prevent that after all these decades with our modern technology.

foxhana

Postby foxhana » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:34 pm

then errrm waht number to call? i dont want to embarrass myself by calling the wrong number.. hahaha.

yesterday ny channel 8 was channel 5 and vice versa, then now my channel u is channel 5. so instead of coffee prince i'm watching csi. >_>

also, this is the first time it happened in the flat that i lived for 20 years. >_>

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:50 pm

Try the phone directory. As we still do not know what you are living in we don't know which number might be right. If you are in an HDB unit probably go to your community centre and find a representative or call your local HDB centre for assistance.

However, to me if you are getting a picture as you say you are, it sounds like the tuner in your TV is going so you might to call a TV repairman or buy a new TV. Generally I don't think you can get a channel on a different frequency to change frequencies on a daily basis.

foxhana

Postby foxhana » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 3:08 pm

you might be right, i'm going to buy a new tv today, cuz my tv is currently second hand(temporary until i get a new tv). i'll get a new tv and see the difference. if not then i'll call hdb. :)

thanks all for the help!! thank you sooo much!!