Singapore Expats

Seems rather quiet in here

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
phil30k
Regular
Regular

Seems rather quiet in here

Post by phil30k » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 5:07 pm

I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about the US elections and all those posts on the internet about allegations of vote rigging.

Are the American expats even aware of it?

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Re: Seems rather quiet in here

Post by phil30k » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 5:16 pm

Oops, forgot to post a link.

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 7:42 pm

phil30k wrote:Oops, forgot to post a link.

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

I guess most of them have had enough of politics!

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 8:23 pm

I guess you're right.

:)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:47 pm

As an American in Singapore I guess I should say, in order to be PC in Singapore, don't meddle in US affairs! :P
But sure, I have opinions and as usual, I'll vote. The problem is, opinions are like @$$holes. Everybody has one and they all think theirs don't stink. Course I beg to differ but to me (one of those opinions!) there is only two things that matters in this election. One, Bush is gone after his 2nd term (not soon enough), and two, neither the Billery team nor the Huckabee camp are allowed to get in. Otherwise. Pffffft!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 8:07 am

I've been listening to more of this election than those in the last 10-15 years. I agree with your comments, SMS. although it would be good to see a woman in office, but not this particular one! I may even vote in this election. Is there a way to only vote for the president and not all those other offices which I haven't a clue who anyone is or what they stand for?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:03 pm

Why does Hilary bring out such strong reactions in people? There never seems to be a middle ground; it's either love or hate.
One man's meat is another's poison.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Post by phil30k » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:48 pm

Matney wrote:I've been listening to more of this election than those in the last 10-15 years. I agree with your comments, SMS. although it would be good to see a woman in office, but not this particular one! I may even vote in this election. Is there a way to only vote for the president and not all those other offices which I haven't a clue who anyone is or what they stand for?
I don't see any post by SMS here. Was it removed?

I am Singaporean so I wouldn't know the answer to that. Your embassy may have some answers though.

I find what's going on in America fascinating because in Singapore there's still a lot of faith in the Government and the end result is they have a lot of control over our lives. We, as a people have faced some criticism for this.

It seems to me like Americans have reached a level of collective intellectual and political maturity and concensus where the call for change is coming from the grassroots. I feel like I'm witnessing a test of democracy and that there is something to learn from this piece of history in the making.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 2:02 pm

phil30k wrote: I don't see any post by SMS here. Was it removed?

phil30k,

You can be forgiven for that. I am otherwise known as SMS as that is the way I often sign off at the bottom of my posts. Most regulars here know that and it's much easier to type than sundaymorningstaple is.

sundaymorningstaple came from a discussion on a forum long, long ago where I first registered here in Singapore. We were discussing where the best roti prata was in Singapore. I used to have my Sunday morning tea and prata while reading the local sunday bird cage liner at the KopiTiam that used to be outside of the Seletar Camp Gate (where Thasavi only had a single griddle the outside corner of the shop). Hence that was my normal Sunday morning staple.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Post by drusilla » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 2:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
phil30k wrote: I don't see any post by SMS here. Was it removed?

phil30k,

You can be forgiven for that. I am otherwise known as SMS as that is the way I often sign off at the bottom of my posts. Most regulars here know that and it's much easier to type than sundaymorningstaple is.

sundaymorningstaple came from a discussion on a forum long, long ago where I first registered here in Singapore. We were discussing where the best roti prata was in Singapore. I used to have my Sunday morning tea and prata while reading the local sunday bird cage liner at the KopiTiam that used to be outside of the Seletar Camp Gate (where Thasavi only had a single griddle the outside corner of the shop). Hence that was my normal Sunday morning staple.

sms
thks for answering my thought!! :P

i always wondered what your sms could be!! :lol: :lol:

sometimes just curious how people come up with their nicks...

perhaps we could start a thread on it?? :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:42 pm

phil30k wrote:I find what's going on in America fascinating because in Singapore there's still a lot of faith in the Government and the end result is they have a lot of control over our lives. We, as a people have faced some criticism for this.

It seems to me like Americans have reached a level of collective intellectual and political maturity and concensus where the call for change is coming from the grassroots. I feel like I'm witnessing a test of democracy and that there is something to learn from this piece of history in the making.
Yep, Singapore is like a child still looking to its parents for everything. America is the teenager who knows better than its parents and thinks they're idiots.

I wonder what's next after democracy. Logically America having run the experiment longest should be in the best position to come up with a better idea once this one eventually implodes, just like communism did, and just like royal fiefdoms did before democratic republics came along.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:55 pm

I came across this video that says goodbye to Dubya respectfully.[sic] The song entitled 'Take the long way home' by Supertramp makes for an interesting backdrop to the video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MNEhmNPmmzg

Check out the lyrics here and you'll understand.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/supertramp ... 33849.html
One man's meat is another's poison.