Singapore Expats Forum

USA Recession & Stockmarket

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
youdunsay
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: red dot

Postby youdunsay » Sat, 22 Mar 2008 9:14 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry I am a newbie to investing. What does "T/A" mean? I want to invest in some stocks but I have no idea how to pick up good stocks correctly. I tried absorbing the financial news and I have no idea what it means. Should I start off looking from the prospective industries or should I start from A-Z stocks picking?

street_smart
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 08 Mar 2008

Postby street_smart » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 1:12 am

Hi newbie. I suggest u put on hold on ur investment until the US market stable down....might not reach the bottom yet.....

cheers!

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Postby Winxkid » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 1:43 am

it's about time already... slight slip till end of June. my bet :D
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 8:57 am

youdunsay wrote:Hi everyone. Sorry I am a newbie to investing. What does "T/A" mean? I want to invest in some stocks but I have no idea how to pick up good stocks correctly. I tried absorbing the financial news and I have no idea what it means. Should I start off looking from the prospective industries or should I start from A-Z stocks picking?

"T/A" is shorthand for Technical Analysis.
Dictionary.com can give you a brief description if needed.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 24 Mar 2008 6:43 pm

24th was a good day to remember, KMT won the election and wham bam boo, a nice little earner for many in Taiwan!

yes a fall is expected, and divis start from june onwards, so no doubt we will see a rise all going well. Nope i don't believe we have seen the bottom yet! but who cares, with so many good growth companies, at record lows, and paying very good dividends and cash, accumilate is the name of the game.

Winxkid
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Postby Winxkid » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 1:28 am

it would be wiser to see what action Ma carries out. In Taiwan politic, taking example from the previous two elections, most of the politicians boost about almost everything and in the end, take Chen Shiu Bian as example, it makes their economy looks worst than before :)

Nothing significant unless Ma success in carrying out a useful task. My bet :D
petsgdirectory.blogspot.com

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 2:12 am

Winxkid wrote:it would be wiser to see what action Ma carries out. In Taiwan politic, taking example from the previous two elections, most of the politicians boost about almost everything and in the end, take Chen Shiu Bian as example, it makes their economy looks worst than before :)

Nothing significant unless Ma success in carrying out a useful task. My bet :D

Well I guess you really have to undertsand the politice between KMT and DPP...But you are right to say Chen Shiu Bian hurt the economy....I'm quite possitive one will see a big turn around for the better!

Ma is a popular guy, although, maybe a puppet for the hardliners in my opinion, politics is so corrupt everywhere, that i really don't care who wins, providing they throw a little to the people.

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun, 27 Jan 2008

Postby MikeDirnt » Wed, 26 Mar 2008 8:32 pm

youdunsay wrote:Hi everyone. Sorry I am a newbie to investing. What does "T/A" mean? I want to invest in some stocks but I have no idea how to pick up good stocks correctly. I tried absorbing the financial news and I have no idea what it means. Should I start off looking from the prospective industries or should I start from A-Z stocks picking?

a good site to start is investopedia.com

you can learn a lot of things from there. i suggest you start with unit trusts first before going to stocks.
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:40 pm

With solar energy taking off, you may like to read this article, so you know what its all about.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/show ... =206902796

User avatar
RULDS
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon, 25 Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

MCD

Postby RULDS » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 4:52 pm

MCD has treated me nicely since 2003. It is a blue chip that gives a HUGE dividend. Over seas sales are doing great and domestic are still holding their own. QSR is the only food businesses posting positive sales. MCD profits from the currency exchange as well when the dollar weakens.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: MCD

Postby ksl » Tue, 01 Apr 2008 8:55 pm

RULDS wrote:MCD has treated me nicely since 2003. It is a blue chip that gives a HUGE dividend. Over seas sales are doing great and domestic are still holding their own. QSR is the only food businesses posting positive sales. MCD profits from the currency exchange as well when the dollar weakens.



Hope you realise the legality of pumping shares! Big brother is watching you! :lol:

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 7:30 am

^ Are you just trying to educate the poster (in general)?

You don't really believe that what he posted here on a site populated by a handful of expats and other visitors in a country of a mere 4M can have any influence on a major blue-chip with over 1.15B shares out, do you?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:44 am

maneo wrote:^ Are you just trying to educate the poster (in general)?

You don't really believe that what he posted here on a site populated by a handful of expats and other visitors in a country of a mere 4M can have any influence on a major blue-chip with over 1.15B shares out, do you?
Have you nothing better to do than ask stupid questions :roll: :lol: You could be his/her close relative....I'm sure no one else in the states, would visit Singapore expats, just to post a stupid remark like that :lol: or didn't you notice the date! 1st April :roll: The jokes on you :lol:

MikeDirnt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun, 27 Jan 2008

Postby MikeDirnt » Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:56 am

:lol:

so is the strong rally on april fool a joke or for real?
Guides and information -> Singapore Stocks

User avatar
RULDS
Regular
Regular
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon, 25 Feb 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby RULDS » Sun, 06 Apr 2008 1:00 am

Right....pumping shares. I was not even going to respond but I still stand astonished that someone with multitude of posts (which brings up some additional isssues that we won't talk about) would be somewhat more intelligent to rant off on such non-sense. I believe that the forum discusses the US Stock market so I fully disclosed that I own MCD. I work in the this industry and was sharing my expertise. The only April fools joke is all the money I made that you did not.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Deadpool on the next recession date?
    by offshoreoildude » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 4:24 am » in General Discussions
    4
    1811
    by taxico View the latest post
    Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:09 am
  • 26 / M / Los Angeles, USA
    by Franksg7 » Sun, 19 Aug 2012 3:16 pm » in 20's Club
    29
    10801
    by MitulP View the latest post
    Fri, 05 Oct 2012 4:14 pm
  • Female/ 23/ From USA
    by asindher » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 6:33 pm » in Newcomer's Lounge
    3
    2462
    by MitulP View the latest post
    Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:53 pm
  • 28/ M/ New Orleans, USA
    by RajunCajun816 » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 4:50 pm » in 20's Club
    7
    5025
    by nilingzi View the latest post
    Thu, 15 Nov 2012 3:02 pm
  • 23 /f / USA
    by asindher » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 3:03 pm » in Newcomer's Lounge
    4
    1812
    by melvin_sg View the latest post
    Thu, 22 Nov 2012 12:29 pm

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests