hiking Forgotten Railway

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
mf21277

hiking Forgotten Railway

Post by mf21277 » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 9:26 pm

Hello!
I would like to try this hike on 19th of Jan, Staurday.
I actually have seen this from previous event.

http://www.geocities.com/themttrekker/a ... ilway.html

If anyone knows about this, please do let me know.
We can coordinate hiking plan as well.

M_Aurelius
Chatter
Chatter

Rail Hike

Post by M_Aurelius » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 1:20 pm

Hey, great idea..am definitely for this..one thing, can we change the date to Sunday jan 20th, Sat always have stuff come up..cheers.

Bonobo2005

Post by Bonobo2005 » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 3:49 pm

hi, yes we have done this hike some months ago with 3 forum members.

The article is from 2004 and the track has changed quite a bit ; actually Singapore - obviously being frustrated that Malayan Railway refuses to sell the land despite the fact that no trains have been running here since 1991 - has accused Malayan Railways to leave the track a complete wilderness, also where it passes HDB estates, condo's and so on and hence being held responsible for dengue outbreaks etc. So Malayan RW has been forced to maintain the land which they started to do seriously so that they can continue to claim the land - of course the steel is put back in original position! Basically the stretch from Teban Gardens towards Clementi Road has now been cleared in more or less advanced state.

That said it is still a very nice and varied hike as you see a lot of Singapore that you would never see otherwise; the tunnels and bridges are still there and the part between Bukit Timah Railway Station and Clementi Road Tunnel is still untouched and simply stunning!

Basically the trek normally focusses on the tracks between Bukit Timah Station and Teban Gardens (Penjuru Road) -2,5 hours, but I went back on my own to discover it continues through industrial parks all the way to the EXXON complex at Shipyard Road! Amazing "expedition" although there's not a lot of nature and a lot of stray dogs.

The surest access is at Penjuru Road, where along the road you will notice a railway signal. From there head East. Starting at Bukit Timah Railway is a more adventurous /appealing idea with some serious railfinding involved, as the access is hidden in the bush and hard to find!

Anyway this is one of Singapore's hiking classics (for how long it lasts) it's a great hike, and I'm sure you guys will have lots of fun!!!

mf21277

Post by mf21277 » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:46 pm

I can't make Sunday......

mf21277

Post by mf21277 » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:51 pm

Thank you for the info! it still sounds fun. Hmm....maybe I should plan for some Sunday since Sat morning is a bit difficult for everyone. if anyone still is keen for Sat morning, let me know.

Bonobo2005 wrote:hi, yes we have done this hike some months ago with 3 forum members.

The article is from 2004 and the track has changed quite a bit ; actually Singapore - obviously being frustrated that Malayan Railway refuses to sell the land despite the fact that no trains have been running here since 1991 - has accused Malayan Railways to leave the track a complete wilderness, also where it passes HDB estates, condo's and so on and hence being held responsible for dengue outbreaks etc. So Malayan RW has been forced to maintain the land which they started to do seriously so that they can continue to claim the land - of course the steel is put back in original position! Basically the stretch from Teban Gardens towards Clementi Road has now been cleared in more or less advanced state.

That said it is still a very nice and varied hike as you see a lot of Singapore that you would never see otherwise; the tunnels and bridges are still there and the part between Bukit Timah Railway Station and Clementi Road Tunnel is still untouched and simply stunning!

Basically the trek normally focusses on the tracks between Bukit Timah Station and Teban Gardens (Penjuru Road) -2,5 hours, but I went back on my own to discover it continues through industrial parks all the way to the EXXON complex at Shipyard Road! Amazing "expedition" although there's not a lot of nature and a lot of stray dogs.

The surest access is at Penjuru Road, where along the road you will notice a railway signal. From there head East. Starting at Bukit Timah Railway is a more adventurous /appealing idea with some serious railfinding involved, as the access is hidden in the bush and hard to find!

Anyway this is one of Singapore's hiking classics (for how long it lasts) it's a great hike, and I'm sure you guys will have lots of fun!!!

hithere

keep me posted...

Post by hithere » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 2:08 pm

hi

keep me posted on this pls thanks!

sat morning works out better for me...but majority rules of course...

BrownLeo
Regular
Regular

hi

Post by BrownLeo » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 4:56 pm

how long is this hike expected to take? What is the distance you are looking at covering?

mangchong

Post by mangchong » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:17 pm

I might be able to make it this sat, when and where to meet??

JavaJive

Sunday is better for me

Post by JavaJive » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:15 am

Hi, please let me know the meeting point, time and date. So a good pair of running shoe, a bottle of water, normal workout outfit will do, right? Can you please PM me? If possible, please leave your phone number.

JavaJive

Post by JavaJive » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:18 am

Sunday is better for me

mf21277

Post by mf21277 » Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:22 pm

Hello :) I can make tomorrow, Sunday.
Anyone still up for it???

hithere

did u go after all?

Post by hithere » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 2:20 pm

hi

did you go for the unused railway track hike after all? I was rather keen really. was it interesting?

yen

M_Aurelius
Chatter
Chatter

Post by M_Aurelius » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 5:34 pm

Mf, yes..let us know how it went..planning to go Sunday, Feb 3rd

mf21277

Post by mf21277 » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 7:48 pm

No....I did not go since it was such a short notice :(
I would like to go for sure.

How about either Sunday 16th or 23rd?
I have plan every weekend till then, otherwise please let me know how it was!