Singapore Expats

Taxes for US citizens in Japan vs Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
steffi

Taxes for US citizens in Japan vs Singapore?

Post by steffi » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 9:08 am

Does anybody have any knowledge of how the tax situation differs for somebody working in Singapore vs Japan? If I'm not mistaken there is a tax treaty with Japan. But not with say Singapore or Hong Kong thus making tax a lot more complicated for US citizens working in these countries.

One of the reason I initially turned down an opportunity in Singapore was because of the additional tax burden I would have.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:58 am

Singapore has a partial tax treaty with the US. Unfortunately, personal income taxes are not part of that treaty. The most you will get is your income earned abroad exclusion and tax credits where applicable on the US 1040. Singapore gives no breaks whatsoever aside from extremely low personal income tax rates by comparison with the US. But, yes, if your income is high enough you will be subject to double taxation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers